Men - what do you REALLY think about perfume?

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 01:52 am
Do you like it?

Hate it?

Depends on the type, and how it is used?

On the time of day, the phase of the moon, your mood?

Personally, I loathe it slathered on - and find, of course, perfumes I do not like, unpleasant.

But.......I love the after-shave my partner uses......

One of the loveliest, sexiest, compliments I have ever received was when a lover, as I was driving him home from a party, kept sniffing parts of my voluminous skirtage, and, when I asked him why, said: "It smells of you."

Actually, as I discovered when I sniffed too, it smelt of my Givenchy III - I guess HE really DID like my perfume!

Now, I generally use Clinique Aromatics Elixir (which seems to be a much lighter, woodier, more floral scent in the USA than it is here - I think this cos a friend bought me some in NYC - and it was DIFFERENT from the heavier, more sensual one here - who knew!!!!!) or Black Cashmere.

So - apart from pleasing myself - (which is important) - and my women friends - (which is important, too) - am I wasting my money?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,371 • Replies: 52
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 01:59 am
1) Depends on the scent. Some are good, some just reek of "old lady."

2) Depends on the amount. Too much is awful, no matter how good it smells.

Which brings up another point: how do you tell someone their perfume sucks? My ex-girlfriend in college wore "White Diamonds" by Elizabeth Taylor(her mom got it for her for Xmas), it was definitely an old lady perfume, at least for a 20 year old...no offense to someone that wears it. But hey, every time I smell it somewhere, I know exactly what it is.

I didn't have the heart to tell her it sucks. I should have just stole the bottle from her.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:05 am
Hmmm - fair point.

It IS a horrible perfume, I sniffed it.

Frankly, if my partner hates my perfume, I would rather know.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:09 am
How do you say it?

Lol - we have discussed this at length - you just say:

"Darlin' - I love being with you - but that perfume is waaaaay tooo old/conventional/floral/innocent/whatever for you - I think this (proffers loved perfume - I am assuming you are in a shop together) is sophisticated/whatever for you - and it makes me really horny - then discuss.......
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:09 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Depends on the scent. Some are good, some just reek of "old lady."...

So do tell us of the young lady ones that you find totally irresistible, Slappy! :wink:
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:13 am
Aaaaaarrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

TOO much info!! Wabbit has lover! Sniffy lover at that. Mental images causing breakdown.... must resist..... [size=7]brain closing down....[/size]
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:15 am
msolga wrote:
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Depends on the scent. Some are good, some just reek of "old lady."...

So do tell us of the new lady ones that you find totally irresistible, Slappy! :wink:

Have you people NO shame!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:16 am
I changed that to "young" lady.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:18 am
Deb

Can women talk about mens' perfumes here, too?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:28 am
NO. This is one thread we are closing down for matters of national security and just plain good taste....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:34 am
Well, Mr. Rottenpuddle, not so quick. I would like to know what is a couple's perspective when one buys the other a perfume that one likes, but it turns out the other doesn't. It turns out they don't agree on scents at all. Is such couple doomed forever to stinkyness and crankyness?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 03:06 am
Of course we can, Msolga.

And - for starters - STILLY - stop lifting that leg!!!
0 Replies

almach1

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 03:24 am
I care more about good smelling a womans hair for some reason. There's nothing like smelling a girl fresh out the shower and her hair and skin smell fresh and beautiful. Dam, I'm turning myself on.

Anyways,
i bought my lady some Romance by RL a while back. First time I had bought perfume for a woman. She loved it. it was a big bottle and it lasted her only like three months. I liked not smelling it until I got really close to her. If you can use little enough so you can only smell it like one foot away, it would act like an insentive for me to get close and get a kiss.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 07:39 am
"Mr. Rottenpuddle!" What a great term!

I wear Patchouli oil...DH doesn't seem able to smell it, but I've been stopped many times in stores & asked what I'm wearing. Women seem to like it a lot.

DH seems unable to smell any perfume, at least after the first 5 minutes, so I'm free to wear whatever pleases me.

Also like Neroli (Orange Blossom) oil, get both from health food stores as they're relatively cheap & last forever.

Old Lady smells, to me, are Lavender & Rose. I like 'em anyway.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 07:56 am
Guys, don't ever buy a new perfume for a girl just because you like it spritzed on a card by some lab-coated fragrance advisor. What smells wonderful on one person, can be truly obnoxious on another. Better to go with something you know she loves, or shop together to try it out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 07:59 am
Have you noticed that the same perfume smells different on different people?

A friend and I in college, when we were way poor, would share those samples you get when you pretend (ahem) to buy a real, expensive bottle of perfume. It smelled a little different on each of us.

My precious bottle of Dolce & Gabbana is finally getting too old, I have to get something new. That was the most perfect perfume ever though and they already weren't making it anymore when I hunted it down from Paris to L.A. It's probably the most I've ever spent on any single clothes/ fashion item.

I go on the "can't smell until you get really close" principle, and this is the PURE stuff (not eau du toilette or however it's spelled) so it lasted this long (6 years?). Still smells nice but some of the components haven't lasted as well, so the overall smell is a little different. sob.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 08:05 am
Sozobe, that's why I prefer to buy perfumes and all cosmetics for that matter in the smallest sizes. They are so much better when fresh. It is really maddening though, when you find something you love and it gets sent to the cosmetics graveyard.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 08:09 am
It IS small! I don't remember the amount, but the actual perfume part is like 2 inches high and maybe 3/8 thick.

It's just that I only needed to dab on the tiniest little bit.

Now I gotta see if it's still available anywhere.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 08:11 am
Yes - I tend to make perfumes smell sweeter than they do on others - ans sweet is a thing I DO NOT like in a perfume - so I have to go for really dusky, spicy or woody scents.

Hmm - I like the whiff every now and then thing - now they smell it, now they don't - so it seems does almach.

C'mon - MORE MEN'S thoughts, thank you!!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 08:13 am
I just remembered I had a picture! :-) (Scanned maybe 3-4 years ago.)

http://img212.exs.cx/img212/4954/perfume0vq.jpg
0 Replies