Valentine's Day Blues

MzDaizy

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:00 pm
Okay, so I'm in a pretty good relationship with this guy. We've been together for almost a year, so this will be (duh) our first V-Day together. My Problem: I can't stand V-Day, and he's pumped about it. I mean I really don't care for it. It doesn't get me excited the way it does for some people. But when he brought it up, I really bummed him out. He's pretty upset that I don't want to do anything special or exchange gifts or anything. I'm not incredibly lenient on this, so what should I do? Help, please... Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 830 • Replies: 17
No top replies

almach1

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:52 pm
welcome to the club. A nice exchange of chocolates or flowers is enough for me (if I had a significant other). I see the holiday just like you do. I'd be so happy if I had a girl who saw this holiday like you do. You're one of a kind.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/about44804.html
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:02 am
You should dump the loser and date me.

I tried the same thing on my EX girlfriend, and she wasn't too happy with my attitude towards it either. I don't need a marketing firm forcing romance down my throat.

Guess you'll just have to take the free ride. All you have to do is wear sexy underwear, and he'll be grateful.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 04:42 am
Wow! This is a first. Usually, it's the other way around. If it means that much to him, why not go with it since it's only one day. I would.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 06:43 am
Yep, I agree with Montana (again!)

That's the advice we'd give you if you were a guy.

When you're in a good relationship with someone, you want to make them happy. He wants to do stuff for you. It will make him happy. So let him.
0 Replies

MzDaizy

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:42 am
Thanks for the reactions. The thing is...he's WAY into the commercialization of the whole thing. I just don't think I can force myself to enjoy a holiday that I actually despise. If I sucked it up and went along with what he wants to do, I'd have a chip on my shoulder the whole day. It's just really not my cup of tea. And it really is turning into a big problem...He's not speaking to me today. Maybe it's time to start rethinking the relationship. Especially if we can't come to an agreement over something like this. Oh yeah, and Christmas was almost the same deal.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 11:53 am
Well, then I'm lost for words. Good luchk to you and welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 12:14 pm
I understand your stance on commercialization. If he wants to show it's a special day by plying you with flowers or breakfast in bed or any other silly but romantic ideas, let him. All that's required is of you is affectionate acknowledgement. That's not too much for a relationship that's a bit more than casual. If this is what he does to get you aggravated sounds like it might be time to show him something in a door.
0 Replies

Krysia

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 01:12 pm
Now, now, Daisy isn't the only woman who hates Valentine's Day! I have always despised it, even as a teenager, although I almost always had a boyfriend. The boys were always more into it than I was, but the way I see it, there are 365 days every year that you need to celebrate your love (if you have one). I've seen couples who barely get along put so much effort into making things work for that ONE day, and then leave it to fall to crap afterwards. Plus the TRAFFIC on that day is horrid!

This is my fiance and my first Valentine's Day together, and as usual, I have nothing planned because I outright refuse to do anything special. But he's buying me something nonetheless, and I can't talk him out of it. Wink

But anyway, I agree with bob. If he wants to do something special for you, then just let him, and thank him for the compliment. At the same time, he's going to have to understand that you don't celebrate it, and therefore won't be going out of your way to do something special for him.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 01:38 pm
Wow! This is amazing. I never had a guy that was into it and I always felt deprived on V-day because of this. Hell, send them on over here, heehee :-D
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 03:46 pm
MzDaizy--

You think you might love this guy--except for his soft, tender gushy streak?

I think that one of the reasons that Official Days of Sentiment were established was to remind guys without a soft, tender gushy streak that sweet words and romantic gestures are worth a great deal.

Do you really think your paramour is trying to enrich the shareholders of Hershey and Hallmark? He doesn't believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy and you're trying to take away Cupid as well?

True Love involves admiring a lot of mud pies--get used to the idea.
0 Replies

MzDaizy

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 05:23 pm
Wow, everyone has some great input. However, I never said anything about love...it's supposed to be semi-casual. It's really strange, though...after I wrote this thread I started thinking about how deep we are in all of this...and I believe that he may be into me a bit more than I am to him. (I haven't talked to him about this, so that's not for sure) So now I think we have to have THE TALK. Like I said, I'm getting the silent treatment. The way I see it, there must be something bigger going on because nobody should get this upset over a single day on the calendar.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 05:56 pm
Ohhhh, I see. Jeeez! I hope he isn't planning to pop the question or anything Shocked
0 Replies

MzDaizy

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 06:18 pm
Montana, you just scared the crap out of me...I really hope not!!!! Although we've been together for nearly a year, I really haven't devoted too much time to the relationship...I wasn't thinking that it was going in the holy matrimony direction. But now that I think about it, maybe that IS why he's making such a big deal out of it....I'm not ready for marriage. Hell, I'm not ready for engagement. I like things to go really S....L....O....W I'm not marriage minded. What do I do?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 07:15 pm
Best way to get over someone is to get under someone.

I make a great tent.
0 Replies

MzDaizy

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 07:21 pm
If it comes to THE QUESTION I may take you up on that
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 07:57 pm
THE QUESTION is not even functionable in my vocabulary. I feel your pain.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 06:06 am
MzDaizy wrote:
Montana, you just scared the crap out of me...I really hope not!!!! Although we've been together for nearly a year, I really haven't devoted too much time to the relationship...I wasn't thinking that it was going in the holy matrimony direction. But now that I think about it, maybe that IS why he's making such a big deal out of it....I'm not ready for marriage. Hell, I'm not ready for engagement. I like things to go really S....L....O....W I'm not marriage minded. What do I do?

I'm hearin ya. Just the thought of marriage would send me running for the hills. I was half joking about what I said, but now that I think about it, it would explain why he's so upset. If this is the case, I truly believe that the best thing you can do is be honest with him. I hope for his sake and yours, that this isn't what he has in mind.
0 Replies