privatization of social security

RexRed

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:39 pm
I am a bit skeptical about privatization. I wonder about these accounts being passed down to people's children and if that gives certain people an unfair advantage. Though we are all created equal but we are not always born into equality. I think money in the these funds is just one more thing that separates people in a time when unity is so critical. Then, healthier genetic "lines" of people accrue wealth. This can create a caste system and oppression of the less fortunate of the diversity of our species. We should all work together to care for the least. This privatization could tie up frivolous wealth that cannot be accessed. Also it makes immigrants have unfair disadvantages over the basic citizens who have inherited these accounts. Also I think a portion of the money earned on the account should go back to a general social security to balance off the welfare disability aspects of society. Those who are successful and popular have health care and security?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,161 • Replies: 14
No top replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:05 pm
The whole process needs a lot of scrutiny before any changes are made. Personally, I think Bush cares more about the bounce the stock market would receive than the long-term solvency of SS.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:10 pm
Are SS accounts supposed to become inheritable, then, RexRed? Indeed, as Whooda says, it needs lots more scrutiny.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:41 pm
if, as GWB says, the SS will go bust in x years how does his plans (as yet unknown, but involving privitization) resolve that problem?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:53 pm
There is presently a salary contributions cap of 90K. Will people be putting money up beyond the salary cap or will every one only be allowed to put in up to the (then) top salary deduction rate as it is now?

Will it be like a 401 K plan where a fixed percentage is placed in an account in "before tax dollars"?

Of course the big financial houses like Vanguard will make out like crazy if the venue for investment is defined and "self directed" investments like art, capybaras, or property are excluded
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:13 pm
Re: privatization of social security
RexRed wrote:
I am a bit skeptical about privatization. I wonder about these accounts being passed down to people's children and if that gives certain people an unfair advantage. Though we are all created equal but we are not always born into equality. I think money in the these funds is just one more thing that separates people in a time when unity is so critical.

There may be plenty of reasons not to privatize but the one's you've listed aren't in that list IMO.

Quote:
Then, healthier genetic "lines" of people accrue wealth.

People from healthier genetic lines would be more likely to live longer and produce more healthy off-spring which means the accounts are more likely to be depleted and any money inherited would be split by more people. Healthier genetic lines would be probably be LESS likely to accumulate wealth.

Quote:
This privatization could tie up frivolous wealth that cannot be accessed. Also it makes immigrants have unfair disadvantages over the basic citizens who have inherited these accounts.

Owning property (i.e. a house) does the same thing. Should home ownership be banned? There are thousands of impediments that immigrants face. I don't see this as being anywhere near the top of the list.

Quote:
Also I think a portion of the money earned on the account should go back to a general social security to balance off the welfare disability aspects of society.

The disability side of SS is less than 16% of the total program and it isn't changed at all under any of the existing proposals.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:36 am
Re: privatization of social security
fishin' wrote:
RexRed wrote:
I am a bit skeptical about privatization. I wonder about these accounts being passed down to people's children and if that gives certain people an unfair advantage. Though we are all created equal but we are not always born into equality. I think money in the these funds is just one more thing that separates people in a time when unity is so critical.

There may be plenty of reasons not to privatize but the one's you've listed aren't in that list IMO.

Quote:
Then, healthier genetic "lines" of people accrue wealth.

People from healthier genetic lines would be more likely to live longer and produce more healthy off-spring which means the accounts are more likely to be depleted and any money inherited would be split by more people. Healthier genetic lines would be probably be LESS likely to accumulate wealth.

Quote:
This privatization could tie up frivolous wealth that cannot be accessed. Also it makes immigrants have unfair disadvantages over the basic citizens who have inherited these accounts.

Owning property (i.e. a house) does the same thing. Should home ownership be banned? There are thousands of impediments that immigrants face. I don't see this as being anywhere near the top of the list.

Quote:
Also I think a portion of the money earned on the account should go back to a general social security to balance off the welfare disability aspects of society.

The disability side of SS is less than 16% of the total program and it isn't changed at all under any of the existing proposals.

Thanks all and fishin' for the thoughtful replies. I am less skeptical now, only a bit leary Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:42 am
dyslexia wrote:
if, as GWB says, the SS will go bust in x years how does his plans (as yet unknown, but involving privitization) resolve that problem?

I would think that if the economy has to pay the interest on the money rather than the government then that would save the government money. Also if it is slim lined for example, rich people that are collecting checks... when it should be support for people who have genuine need.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 03:46 am
The issue of healthy genetic lines of people accruing a fortune. They will most likely be independently wealthy and not even need to utilize the fund at all. So the fund will be passed down giving, yes, a child or family in America a social advantage. I am not opposed to this only when I see what the disadvantaged will not have.

The current system can be passed down too. If you have not worked long enough they will look at your parents and see if they paid for an extended period of time, did not collect long and if they are living.
If you live long, pay into the system and then in old age collect, it is much less taken from the account then if you are disabled young after not paying long into the system and should live a long life too. What is going to provide for these unfortunate souls?

If 16 percent of social security is disabled they are often disabled in youth and remain so for life. They are disabled for 30 to 40 years not 10 to 15 or 5 and have many more medical bills. How much can be in an account when you have taken sick like after only ten years of employment? Will that pay for the years of suffering to come?

The current system is more invisible. People pay into it but do not think about it so much. It has a flexibility built into it to care for those it was meant to serve... the average American. I don't mind the money going into the stock market. Does it need to be privatized though? I don't think it has to. Can't it just be randomly distributed over a range of markets? Does it need to add another dimension of separation to common people?

We can have the choice of if we want the government to pay the interest or the stock market on our accounts. So if either the government or the markets go bust all of society will not be denied assistance in a time of need. Only the people who choose the stock markets would loose if the stock market were to have trouble. So it would be like being in two separate "pools" (government and stock market) of accounts rather than strict privatization..

We should be able to leave a bit of it in the government and a bit of it in the stock market. Other than the ability to invest in the stock market, I think the basic architecture of the program should stay the same. It is meant to help all Americans and not just a certain "select". Social security is the way society shares and cares for itself. It needs to care for the whole body and not just certain members.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 07:59 am
RexRed wrote:
The issue of healthy genetic lines of people accruing a fortune. They will most likely be independently wealthy and not even need to utilize the fund at all. So the fund will be passed down giving, yes, a child or family in America a social advantage. I am not opposed to this only when I see what the disadvantaged will not have.

The "independently wealthy" make up a small percentage of our total population and the overwhelming majority of us come from healthy genetic lines so mathmatically I don't see how anyone could claim that the healthy are "most likely to be independently wealthy". For example, if 80% of us are from healthy gentic lines and 5% are independently wealthy and if we assume that every wealthy person is healthy then 75% of us will be geneticlly healthy and not independently wealthy.

But we also have the opposite problem to contend with in the current system. Those who are independently wealthy collect their monthly check from the current SS system even though they have no financial need for it. Why do we give multi-millionaires $15,000+/year under the current system???

RexRed wrote:
The current system can be passed down too. If you have not worked long enough they will look at your parents and see if they paid for an extended period of time, did not collect long and if they are living.

This is only true if the person in question is a minor. Once you reach adulthood your parents earnings are irrelevant to your SS status. None of the current coverage for minors (i.e. Survivors Benefits) has been mentioned for any change.

RexRed wrote:
If you live long, pay into the system and then in old age collect, it is much less taken from the account then if you are disabled young after not paying long into the system and should live a long life too. What is going to provide for these unfortunate souls?

If someone is disabled prior to retirement time then they'd collect under the existing disability program. The retirement system has nothing to do with that one way or the other. The only difference in impact between your two situations here is that the person that is disabled might not be able to invest in the privatized portion of the SS retirement system in which case they'd be in the exact same position that everyone is in right now.

RexRed wrote:
If 16 percent of social security is disabled they are often disabled in youth and remain so for life. They are disabled for 30 to 40 years not 10 to 15 or 5 and have many more medical bills. How much can be in an account when you have taken sick like after only ten years of employment? Will that pay for the years of suffering to come?

Again, this is all covered under the SS disablity program which isn't being touched. The only portion of SS under discussion for change is the retirement system. It also isn't the purpose of SS to pay for "pain and suffering".

RexRed wrote:
The current system is more invisible. People pay into it but do not think about it so much. It has a flexibility built into it to care for those it was meant to serve... the average American.

How does adding another option decrease flexibility? Under all of the existing proposals every single person has the option of staying with the system as it is right now. The proposals add another option. If anything it is more flexible.

RexRed wrote:
Other than the ability to invest in the stock market, I think the basic architecture of the program should stay the same. It is meant to help all Americans and not just a certain "select". Social security is the way society shares and cares for itself. It needs to care for the whole body and not just certain members.

What "select" group is being helped under a privatized system that isn't being helped under the existing system?
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 06:08 pm
I see it as just another scheme for BushCo™ to make the rich even richer. He's already hooked up his oil and defense cronies, now it's his wall street pals turn for a piece of the taxpayer pie.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 06:16 pm
bm
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 05:31 am
Quote:
DEPENDS ON WHAT YOUR DEFINITION OF DECADE IS: Like many people, I find it maddening that the administration claims its Social Security privatization plan will only cost $754 billion over the next decade. In fact, the first decade of costs will be well over $1 trillion. The $754 billion figure comes from the fact that the program wouldn't start until 2009--which means it really only refers to the years between 2009 and 2014. That's the next decade, but obviously not the first decade of the program.

Anyway, I was stewing about this when I read that Cheney had used this bit of trickery on Fox News yesterday. Then I read the transcript for myself and was impressed that the interviewer, Chris Wallace, had actually pressed Cheney on precisely this point:

Quote:
WALLACE: The president got the debate over Social Security going strong this week, and my guess is people have a lot of questions. And I want to ask you some of the questions that we're hearing from people.

First of all, the cost of this program of putting in personal accounts: The White House says, for the next 10 years, the cost of starting the personal accounts, the transition costs, would be $754 billion, which is a little less than a lot of people had thought it would be.

My question is, isn't that misleading? Because under your plan, the accounts, the program wouldn't actually start til 2009. So, if you take the first full 10 years, when people can actually invest in the program, the cost is over $1 trillion, and for the following 10 years, it's $3.5 trillion.

Isn't it a lot more expensive?

CHENEY: Well, it all depends upon how we set up the program and phase it in over time. It's not going to all start next year, 2006, for example. It's phased in both in terms of age, as well as when we actually begin to allow people to set money aside into their personal accounts. There's a cap on that would be gradually elevated over time.

It is important to manage the fiscal impact of these transitions in an intelligent fashion, and we're well aware of that. And that's one of the reasons you do phase it in.

It's one of the reasons it's so important for us to start now on addressing these issues. And we have people running around saying, "Well, it's not going to be a problem for 30 years." If we start now, it'll be cheaper in the long run. We can phase it in over time, so it's fair and equitable to everybody who's affected by it. People have time to adjust. And we get the advantage of the time value of money going forward, to the extent that people have got savings they set aside.

So, the question here, I think, with respect to the dollar figure you've got, the estimate we've given is, in fact, the right estimate, going out over the next 10 years, given the way, in fact, we want to begin the program and phase it in as we increase the amount that people will be able to set aside.

So I'll take that as a yes, Mr. Vice President. As in, "yes, it is misleading." ...

posted 10:51 a.m.

Link
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 05:44 pm
I am thoroughly enjoying my SS and as long as they don't touch mine I simply plan on enjoying the popcorn while watching how this thing moves along with the new generation.

My gut feeling is that I think Bush is opening a can of worms by not leaving well enough alone. I think he should let it run until it crashes and leave it to whoever is in charge at the time to fix it if, in fact, it does crash.

I don't trust the government as much as I used to and for Bush to portray or imply that he is looking ahead, being farsighted is laughable too me. We cannot even manage our current affairs very well or pay for them as it is let alone thinking we are noble enough to think ahead twenty years.

Pass me the popcorn please, Helga.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 05:52 pm
We havent heard from our UK bretherens and sisterns. I understand that the English system of privatized pension funds has worked marvelously, if youre a mobster.
0 Replies