Wolf pup has strep throat. :-(

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:27 pm
We noticed last night that her appetite was a little off. She wasnt hungry when she normally would be, and was not eating the amounts she usually does. This morning she had a temp of 101.8 . Gave her some baby tylenol and called her Doc. Her Doc ( who is WONDERFUL by the way ) saw her with in 3 hrs. We pointed out the appetite change and the amazing amounts of poop she has had over the past 3 days and she took a throat culture. Its strep.

Ohhh.. I feel soooo awful for her. The mommy in me is weeping inside feeling really guilty. What if she got it from me??!! :-( Of course, I know this isnt something I could control.. but wow.. how strong the guilt feeling is!!! This is a new experience for me lemme tell ya!

So.. Mr Wolf..is feeling bad. His chest sounds awful. I was listening to him breathe and he sounds like he is breathing through a paper tunnel. He has a chest infection like I had. Not quite bronchitius.. not quite strep.. some where in between.
>sigh<
My house is full of sick'uns !
As for bean, I am giving her 5 oz pedialyte 3 times a day with her amoxicillin, baby tylenol when her fever goes over 101 and she is eating very little amounts of food. Poor baby's throat probally feels like fire.
So far I have made it a point to give her nutrient rich foods when she is feeling up to eating Broccoli, Acorn squash, and a little mix of black beans and rice.
Are there any foods aside those that are good when you are sick? She needs iron and vitamin C but wont drink Orange juice. She hates it ?
Are there any at home ideas/solutions that help babies this sick?
She is napping now ( her 3rd nap today ) what else can I do to help her?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,975 • Replies: 30
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:52 pm
I don't know if you're still breastfeeding? That's the absolute best, if you are.

Sleep is super important, the more she sleeps the faster she'll recover.

(Do you remember during the roofing episode I said everyone HAD to sleep or you'll get sick...? Sleep is an impoerant preventive, too. Don't let anyone put you through that again!)

Mangos are a good kid-friendly way to administer vitamin c -- get some super ripe ones, cut them into small cubes.

Molasses is a good source of iron, we make molasses milk now and then, pour some into milk and stir it up. Yummy and healthy.

So sorry everyone's sick!!! Don't be shy about asking for help from whomever can provide it, what you need is to get all the way better and it doesn't sound like you're better enough to get through sick-kid tending on your own.

Hugs!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:56 pm
Popsicles too, there are kinds that are basically frozen juice, she can lick them. Soothing for her throat, fluids, and some nutrients.

Chicken noodle soup is the classic, really works -- protein, fluid, salt. If it's warm but not hot, also soothing.

I've never dealt with strep throat specifically, most every illness sozlet gets goes to barfing quick, so a lot of my advice has to do with keeping the kid hydrated.

And DON'T FEEL GUILTY!!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:58 pm
( wahhh ) No. I myself have NOT gotten better and am on a second round of antibiotics in hopes that my throat doesnt show signs of strep. >sigh<
I am not breast feeing anymore. Soon after she was born I had my stroke and was hospitalized. The drugs I was on dried me up quickly. I was never able to regain milk.
She is sleeping, I have slept for about 2 hours ( between her Dr appointment and mine ) Im sure she will nap alot come the next couple of days.. I will be right along with her.
Do you think a humidifier would help her?
Or warm drinks? I know warm tea feels good on my throat.. it might on hers too.
I just bought some mangos yesterday for mr wolf.. I think I am going to steal them back and give them to bean. They do make good finger foods.. and MAN are they delicious!
Does the molasses cause diarrhea? ( sugar contents? )
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 05:02 pm
Pedialyte brand has popsicles dont they???
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 05:04 pm
I dont TRULY feel guilty, it just crossed my mind that she got it from me ( you know.. the new mommy guilt) and i was thinking that I shouldnt have been in so much contact with her.
Then reality broke through that thought and I realized, we live in the same house.. she will catch something sometime and it is noones fault.
But WOW..that guilt feeling really came outta no where and it was like being hit by a truck! i felt like I was going to cry with the amount of guilt I was feeling.
Never experienced that one before. That feeling will go into my baby diary.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 05:07 pm
I know that sugar, salt, and fluids are the watchwords when sozlet's sick, and that's in terms of happy tummy so I would assume it would go for poops too. Plain water does not make a happy tummy, surprisingly. Water+sugar or water+salt is better. Pedialyte is good for that. (Sozlet never liked it.)

That sucks about breastfeeding. I don't think I knew that, or else I plumb forgot (sorry if so.) That was one of the main reasons I regretted weaning, I suddenly was at loose ends when she got sick. (Before it was simple -- lift shirt. Attach baby. Wait 'til she got better.)

Sorry you're not better. Call in the cavalry, now is the time to ask for help!! You want this to clear up and go far far away, not linger.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 05:09 pm
I remember the feeling...

Yeah, I think I have seen Pedialyte popsicles at the grocery store, they're new.

Perfect!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 05:15 pm
I agree. The m ost heart breaking thing about having the stroke wasnt my loss of motion, it was my loss of milk. She wasnt quite 3 mos old when it happened. So she didnt get much at all.
So i bought an ' attachment ' for her bottles that allowed me to tape a tube to my breast to mimick the breast feeding motions/position.. still.. it wasnt quite the same.

I never knew that just water wasnt a tummy helper.
I will do the water+salt or a little sugar.
I know that water and lemon help big tummys.
Maybe that combination would be a pleasing warm drink for beans throat.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 05:30 pm
Hot lemon and honey is good stuff.

btw I don't mean literally water with like table salt sprinkled in -- I mean stuff like chicken broth (salty fluid) or grape juice (sweet fluid.) (Grape juice seems best, apple doesn't digest as well and the rest are usually too acidic.)

I can imagine how hard it must've been to have that choice -- breastfeeding -- taken away from you. 3 months is still a great start, both bonding and nutrition wise.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 05:36 pm
Here's what the Sears website has to say about strep throat (any recommendations beyond antibiotic from your doctor? ask for some if no):

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t083900.asp

Quote:
At-home treatments:

• Pain reliever. Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen can help significantly. Click on them for dosing. Use both together for extreme pain.
  • Throat lozenges.
  • Gargle warm salt water. Mix 1/4 to 1 Tsp salt with 8 ounces warm water. If you can get your child to do this, it works great!
  • Anesthetic throat gargle. Chloraseptic can work well, but only if your child is old enough to not swallow it.
  • Tea. Some herbal teas with honey or lemon may help.

Dr. Sears Clue: Citrus juices, such as orange juice, often "burn" the sore throat caused by a virus but are usually not painful to strep throat.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 05:50 pm
ahhhhh, sorry everyone is so sick. No extra advice except don't feel guilty. She's going to be exposed to all kinds of things from all kinds of people when she gets a little bigger. She's on meds now and will start to improve.

I noticed you mentioned she has a few teeth. If she has a toothbrush throw it away after the third day of antibiotics so she doesn't reinfect herself from the toothbrush.

I hope you all start to feel better soon.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 06:26 pm
Ah, Shewolf, youre in the wars, aren't you? Sad I wish I could offer some useful advice like the other posters here, but I really don't know much about treating sick babies, I'm afraid. So I'm just offering my commiserations & hopes that all these winter ailments pass soon. Hang in there!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 07:03 pm
This is rotten, who should I call? Who's passing out the germs around there, anyway? They should spread that stuff out a little thinner, doncha think?

Soz, is of course, right. Pedialite if she likes it (my niece never liked it either), juice and soup. Cold pops - I think they make medicated popsicles...... aw, poor Wolves!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 08:05 pm
Oh no! Not bean and shewolfnm? This is terrible and it sounds as if Mr. shewolfnm isn't feeling great.

You can make your own popsicles by pouring the pedialite--gatorade is the same thing--into small, bean-sized containers. Bet that'll make mommy feel better too and also daddy. Dys and I are feeling for you all. Get well and stay well, you great people. I wish we could come over and baby sit while you and mr. shewolfnm recover.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 08:14 pm
gatorade has a lot of sugar! If you make a pop with gatorade, consider diluting it with some water.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 10:29 pm
My only advice is keep a keen eye. I know I had strep throat and also had sometime later scarlet fever, a related item. Complications can be a concern, and I suppose they have ways of monitoring those by now (I had scarlet fever in 1954, hey, and no complications that I know of to date).

You are already concerned, just a nod that this is one of those times taking the full dose of antibios matters (as if it doesn't always).

Sending you all some orange sherbet or a wolf teddy bear and pillows.

And some good radio programs. The two weeks I was quarantined with scarlet fever were the two weeks I listened all day to fifties radio serials, which turned out to be historic radio time... Mr. and Mrs. North, The Shadow, Perry Mason...

stay tuned...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 12:12 am
Osso, what was the one with the mysterious, scary squeaking door? OH! Inner Sanctum. GOOD radio.

Littlek, didn't know Gatorade had lots of sugar--I hate it but had heard it had loads of electrolytes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 12:25 am
I remember that door...
I think there was even, gasp, a tv program of it for a bit...

CreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeK!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 02:29 pm
Yeah. Gatorade is pedialyte with tons of sugar. It gives energy and carbs... where pedialyte just give the electrolytes. ( I hate gatorade.. yucky nasty stuff i think )
The pedialyte pops in the freezer? ( BIG SMILE )
What a wonderful idea. I am too sick to think ahead on things like that. I will make some in a few mintues.
I am taking a break from tending the sick wolf pack.
Bean is sleeping, Mr Wolf is downstairs with the electrician and I am hiding in my bedroom eating HOT oatmeal.. ohhh man.. warm stuff on the throat is almost as good as sex right now. HAHAH!.

So.... I read Soz' post about the water+salt, water+sugar combinations.. thinking.. wonderful! Bean can have some of that. And it will help her.
I go downstairs last night after reading this and make 2 bottles. One with filtered water and some salt. And the other withsome sugar.
Bean wakes up this morning, I give her a regular formula bottle as i usualy do inthe morning. Then give her a small peice of warm bread. Medicine.. and tylenol.
A few mintues after that I offer the salt water bottle.
OH MY GOD... she was a pissed off baby.
She took one or two good swallows of that, dropped the bottle and spit it out. .. stared at me like I was killing her and SCREAMED!!! I thought i had warmed it up too much?? Checked.. nope. Gave it back toher.
Same reaction.. Seems.. sick mommy cant measure salt correctly. That crap was AWFULY salty. The so called teaspoon I used to measure? Was a tablespoon. Shocked Laughing
Apparently in my sick haze , I picked out the wrong spoon and put WAY too much salt in there.
I feel sorry for this baby right now. If I make THAT kind of a mistake while I am sick.... goodness knows what else she will have to endure on her road to wellness. Laughing

J-B- thank you so much for reminding me of her toothbrush.. She DOES have one that I use daily. Completely forgot how they carry germs. I used it on her today. I think it is safe to toss it. I will get her 2. One to use while she is getting better and a new one when she is completely over this.
0 Replies