(Please Help Me!) Universal Language - ENGLISH?!

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:16 am
I have an important debate to prepare for. The motion is
"English should be the only language in the World" and I was chosen (note...CHOSEN, did not CHOOSE) to be the proposition.

I'm completely out of ideas on this subject. Why should it be the only language? Would it make life easier? ...If so, how?

I don't know. If any of you have any ideas, please share! And if you have any good reference sites that can help me with this, please let me know. Exclamation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 931 • Replies: 5
No top replies

duce

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:30 pm
The hardest language to learn would be an intellectual icon and we are morally obligated to find a language that (steals) Embarrassed xxborrows from them all.

I'm just trying to help.... Embarrassed

Let me work on it let's see No Middle Voice--No...

Gee I can't think of any, let me get back to you.... :wink:
0 Replies

epinEphrin

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 05:01 pm
Ok
As a person who had to learn English language as his 3rd world language, i would most likely say... that is very easy to learn. Its moral isn't complicated.

To answer your questions:
1.Why should it be the only language?
Due to my personal experience, i honestly think that English isn't a hard language to learn. After all, I was speaking English FLUENTLY just after 2 years.

2. Would it make life easier? If so, how?
It already did. I wasn't a good reader back in a day, especially when I had to read infront of the whole class in Russian. I hated reading and writing, but when i got introduced to English language, I started reading more and writing more, MUCH MORE! I read 6 books that summer when i learned SOME English. Comparing this number to Russian books i read, was 6:1 ratio, English winning. So you see?

Most of my friends that i hung out with were also from other countries. Most of them knew English better than me. (In my country you are required to take English from the first grade) I even had friends who didn't want to learn English. But still they did.

It is very easy to learn, and i really mean easy! Out of German, Spanish, Russian, Ukranian, Belorusian, and English (some languages i just know very little, and dont count them as world language)... English is the most easiest language in the world. Trust me! I Know!

I hope that helped some how.
Sorry if it didn't.
Good Luck!
0 Replies

epinEphrin

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 05:10 pm
You welcome... Smile
Here, if my blah blah blah didn't help, this should do it...

English as Second Language

and if this doesn't do it, then i dont know what will...
or how about this French Thingy...

Im out... later!
0 Replies

polysterenegirl

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 12:58 am
Thanks for the tips, epinEphrin.

I know how you feel because even though my first language is Russian, I find it easier to express myself in English and prefer reading in English as well.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 09:20 am
Global village, baby! There are all kinds of benefits to everyone in the world being able to communicate with each other, and English has already made the most inroads on being the universal language.* Makes the most sense to continue the trend that's already begun, once we accept that a universal language is a great idea.

So two parts there:

1.) Universal language is a great idea. (Cite why, ethnic conflicts, language barriers, miscommunication, power of interpreters, etc. etc.)

2.) If we're going to have a universal language, English makes the most sense. (Cite statistics about how many people are already learning English worldwide, trends, etc.)

Disclaimer: these are suggestions for your given topic, not what I think.

*I'm pretty sure of this but not positive, good to look it up and get some solid numbers.
0 Replies