Prostitution

dlk33

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 01:26 pm
Prostitution may not cause adultery, but having it available sure makes it more convenient.

phoenix,
I can't tell another person how to live their life either, but I can have an opinion, and I can choose not to agree with another persons opinion.
Isn't that what makes the world go round?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 02:12 pm
Many countries have prostitution - legal or not. Many turn to prostitution, because their economy doesn't provide jobs to make money. Morality is fine, but try telling that to a woman who is just trying to eat and put shelter over their heads. It's the oldest profession, and it's not about to disappear from this world any time soon. c.i.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 02:21 pm
dlk33, prostitution is sex for money. Adultery is sex with a woman (or man) who is married to someone else.

If only non-married persons could participate in sex for money, would it still be immoral?

Is sex in exchange for other considerations (dinner, jewelry, affection) considered prostitution?

Working with members of the opposite sex makes adultery more convenient too, so do you think that women should be segregated from men for fear of enticing someone to sin?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 02:35 pm
dlk33- Of course you are entitled to your opinion! Very Happy

Quote:
Is sex in exchange for other considerations (dinner, jewelry, affection) considered prostitution?

Years ago, in my wild youth, I knew of a couple of women whom I characterized as "semi-pros". For them it was not cash on the barrelhead, but the men knew that there was the expectation of some kind of remuneration, be it a fine dinner, fifty bucks "for the powder room" or gifts.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:33 pm
To me, prostitution is ugly and degrading to the women (and men) who engage in the practice, but there have been so many tragic examples of women being murdered or chronically abused by pimps that I believe prostitution should be legalized, if only for their protection. It also would protect their clients (and the clients wives and girlfirends) from venereal disease.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:55 pm
just a personal opinion but i believe anyone not wearing brown shoes on tuesdays is immoral. therefore we need regulations mandating the wearing of brown shoes every and i mean EVERY tuesday. but thats just my opinion i might be wrong.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 05:13 pm
Prostitution seems to be one of those things that was crimainalized not for the act itself but for all the second and third level things that are often associated with it (much like the drug issue).

If the prositute is acting of their own free will and all the issues of pimps, forced sex, kidnapping, rape, (and in some cases child involvement), etc.. that often go along with it were removed then I'd have no problem with decriminalizing it. It was legal when I was living in Germany and there didn't seem to be many problems associated with it. The "houses of ill repute" all sold liquor but there were seldom any fights or other problems that other places had and there seemed to be very few women involved that didn't want to be.

We have a bad habit of creating laws curtailing one activity in an effort to curtail a 2nd or 3rd activity. Seems like a foolish way to attack the problems.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:32 pm
How would any woman feel if she knew her husband frequented houses of prostitution, while at the same time, sleeping with her at home?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:48 pm
Well, such a woman is free to divorce such a husband. Or to think about the following thing: what makes him to visit brothels? Maybe, she refuses to look for mutual satisfaction while being with him in bed?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:52 pm
Might be charged with attempted murder. c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:56 pm
Murder??? How?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:57 pm
Ever hear of HIV/AIDS? c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:10 pm
I have heard, surely. So, you compare an unfaithful husband to a suicide bomber?
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:13 pm
I quess if they forget to close the canopy you are right Steissed - suidside bomber.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:16 pm
DLK33 & Steissd the question of whether adultery or fornication is immoral can be endlessly debated, and no answer can ever be given that is satisfactory for all people.

The statement, "Adultery is wrong" is a value not a fact. If something is a fact, nearly everyone will agree that it is true. The value judgments are the the ones that inspire heated disagreement.

Some of the most important strictures against sexual freedom are religious, and the origin of these strictures can only be guessed at. Other restrictions are purely societal and arise because of the problems that often go along with prostitution.

Any effort to legalize prostitution in the US must overcome the religious objection, which is strong. The problems that are attendant to prostitution would surely be greatly lessened with legalization even if not entirely eliminated.

But no mater how desirable or beneficial the legalization may be, we will not have it anytime soon because of the religious objection.

Personally, I'd vote for legalization with controls on the many known abuses.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:28 pm
Hazlitt wrote:
Some of the most important strictures against sexual freedom are religious..

Maybe, this is true regarding the USA. Since early '30s militantly atheistic Soviet authorities imposed total taboo on anything pertaining to sex, they tolerated it only for procreation purposes and for recruiting informers (by means of the police or KGB blackmailing people whose "illicit" sexual activity was recorded by hidden cameras).
Many of the types of sexual behavior (prostitution, homosexuality, etc.) were criminalized in 1934, and perpetrators could spend 5-10 years in labor camps for being involved in these. And all these efforts did not bring any results: commercial love did not disappear there even for a day...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:39 pm
steissd, I don't think that's "commerical love." It's more like "commercial sex." ;') c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:41 pm
OK. Correction accepted.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:45 pm
Yo. If dey' eva stop rentin hoe's, then me, silky smoove, the smoovest pimp dey' is, ain't gonna make no mo bank roll, yo.

Actually, the way I look at it: It's never going away, so I don't really take a stance for/against it. I do have a few friends that have banged whores, and I'm not a big fan of the whole thing, personally. Paying for it takes the biggest thrill out: the challenge of the chase. Plus the thought of 10 other guys the same day being "there." No thanks.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:53 pm
OK. As any commercial goods/services prostitution may have its clientele. Some people want to pay for such a service, some do not. Like Slappy Doo Hoo, I belong to the second group. But this does not make me think that such a service must be eliminated by means of law.
0 Replies