What is a "vertical dipping test"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,326 • Replies: 4
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:46 pm
In that context, it would be a means of determining the solderability characteristics of electronic components, specificazlly components the leads or contacts of which have been pre-coated, or "tinned", with solder. Not really the sorta thing one might come across outside of highly technical references peculiar to manufacturing and/or quality control ... I'm curious - if you don't mind, could you tell me why you ask?
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:20 am
My friend is translating some technical articles, and he asks me this. I'm kind of know it now with your help. So thank you. But still I have to find out a expalanation in Chinese. If I have further questions. I still need your help. Thank you very much.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:57 am
Timberlandko is right as you can see below :

Quote:
Testing the solderability of tin or lead-tin alloy coatings can be carried out using several different methods: dipping test, wetting balance test, globule test, solder spread test, solder meniscus measurement, and rotary dip test.

Dipping is the simplest test method to implement. The component is dipped in a flux bath and immersed vertically in a solder bath at the prescribed temperature. The criterion for acceptance is a wetting of not less than 95 per cent of the immersed surface. Non-wetted patches should be evenly distributed across the immersed area.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 05:24 am
Francis to the rescue there - thanks Laughing - saved me some typin' - that's pretty much what I was gonna add, though said a bit more elegantly than I woulda done. Sorry, translatorcz, for not bein' specific enough the first time. Didn't know how much you wanted to know; that's why I asked why you wanted to know. I s'pose your username shoulda tipped me - my bad.
0 Replies