gravestone inscription

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 04:26 am
intend to put "pax vobiscum" on my Father's headstone - should it be "Pax vobiscum" or "pax vobiscum" or Pax Vobiscum"

View best answer, chosen by Marie-Therese
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 06:13 am
@Marie-Therese,
Marie-Therese wrote:
intend to put "pax vobiscum" on my Father's headstone - should it be "Pax vobiscum" or "pax vobiscum" or Pax Vobiscum"
Actually, it should be Pax tecum - pax vobiscum either adresses several persons (like in the Latin mass) or is used as majestic plural.
Marie-Therese

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 06:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
thank you for that - am getting quite confused - got 'pax tibi' from an on-line translation, then Parish Priest said no, go with pax vobiscum
Is just a line to go on the base but I don't want to get it wrong - thought it would be simple!
Walter Hinteler
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 07:17 am
@Marie-Therese,
Pax vobiscum would mean that your late father wants peace to all visiting his tomb.
Pax tecum means that you (or anybody else) wants him to have peace.
Marie-Therese

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 08:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thank you for your explanation - makes sense now. Should have come on here first - thank you again
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 09:15 am
@Marie-Therese,
Why latin?
Was he from 1st century Rome?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 09:31 am
@mark noble,
Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.
Ecclesiastical Latin is (still) used in documents of the Roman Catholic Church and its liturgies.
mark noble

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 09:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Why is that, do you think?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:17 am
@mark noble,
It was the language spoken "worldwide". (Not only but mainly due to the Roman Empire and later the Roman Empire of German Nation)
And up until about 1900, Latin was the language of those with higher education (in Europe, at least).
mark noble

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I understand that - But why do you think Latin has any communicative-position in the modern era?
The art of linguistics lies in the ability to communicate.
I have a colleague who has 'carpe diem' tattooed on his forearm (ego-bling) - He thinks it means "Have a nice day". Others ask him what it means (Granting him much needed attention).
Do you know how funny it is when people wish you a 'carpe diem' every now and then, at work?
Smile
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:56 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
Do you know how funny it is when people wish you a 'carpe diem' every now and then, at work?
Smile
Of course that would be peculiar funny, since they prove to have no knowledge of Latin. ("Salve" would be the correct wish.)
mark noble wrote:
why do you think Latin has any communicative-position in the modern era?
It least it enables me to understand the past (scriptures and documents).
mark noble

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 11:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It's great for 'historical-reference'. I agree.
But has no place in modern-era communication.
Pliny, Heroditus, Josephus, etc - Good insights.
Shame the greater portion of literature is hidden.... destroyed even.
Have you read the kybalion, Walter?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 12:40 pm
@mark noble,
I don't pay attention to esoteric and occultism pamphlets.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 12:48 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

I understand that - But why do you think Latin has any communicative-position in the modern era?

I still find it helpful to have some basic knowledge of Latin as it occasionally / semi-regularly helps me figure out words in a few languages.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 12:59 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I still find it helpful to have some basic knowledge of Latin as it occasionally / semi-regularly helps me figure out words in a few languages.
Like "mark" and "noble" for instance Very Happy
mark noble

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:17 am
@ehBeth,
Did you know the 'Rosetta stone' was manufactured and we have No idea what hieroglyphs mean?
Did you know King Tut's Tomb was manufactured by carter and the wall-paintings, within are 20th century fabrications?
Did you know that almost everything you have been taught about human history is contrary to current-findings?

Would you like insight?
I'm willing to provide - To an open mind - No charge.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Isn't it odd how one chooses their intellectual progress by what 'others' label as 'worthy' or 'must avoid'.

There is NO magic or 'occultism' within the kybalion, Walter.
Khemetology is about to replace 'egyptology', anyway - You might as well learn why.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
My mother named me after Mark Anthony - It was the biggest box-office hit in 1967, after all.
One names' as good as any other.
'Noble' is not my true surname - My father (not biological) falsified my birth certificate.
I found out at about 21-yrs-old.
Biological father's surname is Hanney.
Played snooker with him once, never knowing I once roamed his Testes:)
His best mate is my daughter's Great grandfather - Bet he never expected to be related to him:)
Anyway, long story - Always makes me giggle - Cheers for the 'trigger'!
mark noble

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:46 am
@mark noble,
Addition - The Snooker match was 'doubles' My friend (daughter's great uncle, Gary) - His father (daughter's great grandad, Bill) and his best mate (My father, daughter's grandad, Bill's '?', Gary's '?') Point is - Gary and I Stuffed them 9:0.

Beware what your testes produce...
0 Replies