Good information sites for Parkinson's Disease.

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 01:58 pm
I looked for the link, but I must have deleted it!
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 09:33 pm
Much much research in many areas has been fruitful ... how can we lose?

Quote:
Brain Power

How we move

The Brain Machine Interface

Movin' on His Mind

Americans celebrate their freedom every year on the same day that Matthew Nagle lost almost all of his. As Fourth of July fireworks flashed over Wessagussett Beach in Weymouth, Massachusetts nearly four years ago, Nagle found himself in a sea of flying fists and within minutes, Nicholas Cirignano, a man with a lengthy criminal past, plunged a hunting knife into Nagle's neck, severing his spine. Doctors had two more pieces of bad news for Nagle: He'd never walk again and his daily activity would be severely limited.

But Brown University neuroscientist John Donoghue has another life in mind for people like Nagle, whose paralysis renders him highly dependent on others. Since the 1990's, Donoghue's been working on a brain implant that can route brain signals to machines that process the signals and issue commands. Now, just by thinking about the action of opening and closing his own paralyzed hand, Nagle is able to do the same to an artificial hand.

Donoghue, founder of Cyberkinetics, Inc., a company that interfaces machines and the brain, is tapping into what's still intact in most paralyzed people, their brain. "There's a perfectly good brain capable of producing commands about the intention to move but those commands can't get to the spinal cord or to the muscles because the wires, or the axons, have been cut," he explains.

Donoghue targets a region under the head's crown called the motor cortex where billions of nerve fibers carry commands through the spinal cord to single cells called axons. When these fire, an impulse travels down the axon to the muscle, releasing a chemical that prompts muscle to move. Donoghue developed a sensor that instead of sending signals to the severed axons feeds them into an amplifier and then a computer.

"They first go into an amplifier system that takes these very tiny voltages and makes them much bigger so they're easy to process once they're amplified," he explains. "Then they go through a computer that sorts out signals from the various noise that's embedded in the signals…and then they are passed through a mathematical decoder that takes the neural signals and converts them into a useful command. So what you eventually see is that the thought of moving is translated into the motion of the cursor on the screen."

Using a special computer, Nagle can control some of his environment by pointing to different commands. He can change channels on a television, turn lights on or off and even draw. The research is part of a fast growing field called BMI, or Brain Machine Interface. Universities around the country are working on technology similar to Donoghue's---mostly in monkeys---but Donoghue was the first to find success in a person, Matthew Nagle. He's now running clinical trials in others. That may be encouraging news for the two million Americans the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation estimates are living with paralysis of the extremities.

Donoghue says he hopes his research will one day bring full movement back into the lives of people physically limited by paralysis. "We are developing means to truly restore function and assemble, reassemble the nervous system when it's been damaged," he says. That's still years away. For now, Donogue's next step is to take the implant wireless.

This February, Nicholas Cirignano, the man who attacked Nagle, was sentenced to 10 years behind bars, not nearly enough time to satisfy the Nagles. The Patriot Ledger reported that Matthew's brother Michael gave this victim impact statement to a packed courtroom: "Some say we are put here for a purpose in life. For you, Mr. Cirignano, ask yourself, what is yours?"

This research was funded by National Institutes of Health, the Neurology Institute, the W.M. Keck Foundation, and Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and appeared in the January, 2005 issue of Discover Magazine.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:12 am
I have not forgotten you Dl, just been lazy Smile
A new drug for Parkinsons has been approved .... PARCOPA .... go HERE
Parcopa is disolved under the tounge ..... it reaches the brain a lot faster.
I have not tried it but am going to my neurologist today so I will inquire.

Ge
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 05:28 am
good news guys!!!

Quote:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:10 am
Very interesting indeed - Ge!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 06:22 am
Quote:

The Stem-Cell Also-Ran: America
The Bush Administration's restrictions on U.S. research will inflict major pain down the road as other countries keep advancing

It's a great time to be a stem-cell researcher -- unless you're working in most U.S. laboratories. In quick succession, foreign labs have announced a series of major breakthroughs, developments that move scientists a step closer to cures for a range of illnesses. On May 20, British researchers revealed that they had cloned a human embryo. The same day, a Korean team announced success in creating stem cells from embryos cloned from people with diseases. Such cells could then theoretically be used as treatments for those people. And earlier this year, Japanese researchers reported that they had used stem cells to cure Parkinson's-like disease in monkeys.
Advertisement

These overseas triumphs are a reminder that restrictions on federal funding for stem-cell research in the U.S., as well as many state and federal threats to ban much of the research, are hindering the pace of research in America. As part of an ongoing lobbying effort, 37 university presidents and chancellors sent Congress a letter on May 23, arguing that progress in foreign labs is "an indication that U.S. scientists are being hobbled in their pursuit of cures and therapies using this promising research."

A day later, the House of Representatives passed a bill that would relax the limits on research. But with President George W. Bush threatening to veto the bill if it clears Congress, it looks like U.S. researchers will have to resign themselves to "playing catch-up," says Charles Jennings, executive director of the Harvard Stem Cell Institute, which has raised $30 million in private funding.

CONSTANT THREAT. One advantage foreign scientists have is higher levels of government funding. Korea alone is estimated to be spending more than $100 million a year on embryonic stem-cell work, compared to a paltry $24 million last year from the National Institutes of Health. In addition, several countries, such as Korea and Britain, explicitly allow the creation of human embryos as a source of stem cells. In the U.S., there's a constant threat that such an approach could be banned.

As a result, researchers fear the U.S. is at a serious competitive disadvantage. The effects won't be seen immediately. It will take years for researchers to learn how to transform stem cells into new heart muscle, neurons, pancreatic cells, or other key tissues consistently enough to meet Food & Drug Administration requirements for the safety of new treatments.

But the research will have more shorter-term applications, such as creating cells that the pharmaceutical industry can use to test new drugs. And already, researchers are staking claims to valuable intellectual property. By falling behind, experts say, the U.S. could lose out on the eventual commercial applications to companies in Korea, Singapore, India, and other countries that are rushing ahead with the science.

"MODEL-T" CELLS. That would be a stunning reversal, since the field was pioneered in the U.S. American researchers were the first to create long-lived cultures of stem cells, called "stem-cell lines" in 1998, and the scientific community immediately saw vast potential. Stem cells are undifferentiated progenitors -- able to become many different parts of the body. Researchers believe, for example, it should be possible to transform stem cells into the insulin-producing cells that are lost in diabetes, or the dopamine-making neurons lost in Parkinson's Disease, thus curing those illnesses.

But in August, 2001, Bush, citing an aversion to destroying human embryos in the process of extracting stem cells, restricted federally funded research to only existing stem-cells lines. That had a chilling effect on research in the U.S. Those cell lines created before August, 2001-- of which only 22 are useful -- are "the model-T versions," explains Dr. Robert Goldstein, chief scientific officer at the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, which now gives two-thirds of its grant money for embryonic stem cell research to foreign scientists.

The bill passed by the House would allow scientists to create more cell lines from thousands of embryos now slated for destruction at in vitro fertilization clinics. While that could bring several hundred more stem-cell lines into play, the bill "is like getting a foot in the door and trying to open it a little, when other countries are building huge gates," says cloning expert Jose Cibelli, professor of animal biotechnology at Michigan State University.

TALENT DRIVE. And Bush vows to veto the bill anyway. "I made it very clear to the Congress that the use of federal money, taxpayers' money, to promote science which destroys life in order to save life is -- I'm against that," Bush reminded reporters just last week.

The outlook isn't totally bleak. The federal government is spending several hundred million dollars on work with stem cells in mice and with adult stem cells. And some states and private funders are stepping into the void left by the federal government on human embryonic stem cells. Last November, California voted to spend $3 billion over 10 years. The Harvard Stem Cell Institute has raised $30 million from foundations and private donors, and is creating its own stem-cell lines. The Starr Foundation is giving $50 million to three New York City research centers over three years for stem-cell work.

The support is enabling U.S. scientists to continue to make significant strides. At Johns Hopkins stem-cell pioneer John Gearhart is successfully creating heart cells that could be used to treat heart disease. "You cannot underestimate the talent present in this country," says Gearhart. "This is the group that has led the world."

These efforts will keep the U.S. in the game -- but not in the unchallenged lead. "We're really in the Dark Ages," charges Cibelli. "We're failing at the core -- at providing the federal money that would lead to new biotechnology and new companies able to take this to patients." Unless the Administration changes its stance, many breakthroughs will continue to come from outside the U.S.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 10:33 am
[[klik]]

Hope all are well, found this today
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:15 pm
Thanks Ge! I will pass it on.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 08:36 am
BBC NEWS
Parkinson's hope over 'implants'
US scientists have moved a step closer to developing a brain implant therapy for Parkinson's disease symptoms.

The most common drug treatment for the brain condition is levodopa, but the pills can leave people susceptible to involuntary movements such as twitches.

The Alabama University team found in tests on six patients, eye cells which produce levodopa can be implanted safely and without the side effects.

The study was published in the Archives of Neurology journal.

But the team and UK experts said large-scale studies were now needed.

Levodopa is used to treat some of the common symptoms of the irreversible brain condition, such as tremors and spasms. It is normally prescribed a few years after diagnosis as the symptoms get worse.

We look forward to this technique being tested comprehensively and objectively in a larger trial and await the results with interest
Kieran Breen, of the Parkinson's Disease Society

Eye cells that form retinal pigment epithelial tissue produce levodopa and can be isolated from human eye tissue and implanted in the brain.

Research on animals has shown that the cell implants can help treat the symptoms safely.

But the US study showed it can work on humans too and paves the way for a larger, more thorough study.

Implants were given to six patients with advanced Parkinson's disease.

Evaluations were carried out regularly for two years and are now being done yearly.

'Safe'

The researchers said the implants were "well tolerated" and helped improve movement by up to 48% without causing the involuntary twitches.

Lead researcher Natividad Stover said: "Improvement was also observed in activities of daily living, quality of life and motor fluctuations."

And he added a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study was now in the pipeline to test the treatment further.

Kieran Breen, director of research at the Parkinson's Disease Society, said the findings suggested eye cell implants could eventually be developed to treat the symptoms.

"The most common form of treatment to help manage these fluctuations is carefully timed medication.

"The results of this early study suggest that eye cell implants could be developed further to control the motor symptoms of Parkinson's in the future.

"We look forward to this technique being tested comprehensively and objectively in a larger trial and await the results with interest."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/health/4522452.stm

Published: 2005/12/13 00:50:21 GMT

© BBC MMV

Hope springs eternal
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 05:53 am
Thanks Ge!!!!

How be you?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 11:02 am
Slow as molasses in Feburary the cure IS coming

Quote:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 11:22 am
One page of a reuters article I saved last August that I can't seem to find a copy of on google - (I failed to save page 2).

Brain stimulation seen best for late Parkinson's
Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 PM BST

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Deep brain electrical stimulation appears to be more effective than the best medical treatment in reducing motor symptoms and improving quality of life in patients with advanced Parkinson's disease, according to the results of a clinical trial.

Several drugs are used initially to reduce symptoms of Parkinson's disease, but their efficacy wanes over time, Dr. Gunther Deuschl and colleagues note in this week's New England Journal of Medicine.

Deuschl, a neurologist at Christian Albrechts University in Kiel, Germany, and his team wanted to compare deep brain stimulation, which has been in use for several years, with optimal medical care.

Neurostimulation is delivered by a pacemaker-like device, and requires an electrode implanted in the subthalamic nucleus region of the brain. The researchers' goal was to see if the benefits of neurostimulation outweigh the risks, and if it is better than medication in reducing the burden of disease.

In a 6-month trial, the investigators randomly assigned one member of 78 pairs of patients to optimal medical treatment and one to surgery. The participants were younger than 75 years of age, had had Parkinson's for at least 5 years, and their symptoms were severe.

"Patients' diaries showed profound and significant changes from baseline to 6 months in the neurostimulation group," Deuschl's team writes. Improvements included decreased severity and duration of periods of immobility and severity of uncontrolled movement.

The medication group showed little change.

There were ten severe adverse events in the neurostimulation group, including three deaths. Other serious events included worsening of mobility, infection at the stimulator insertion site, erroneous stimulator shut-off, and vertebral fracture from a fall.

Three severe adverse effects in the medically treated group included one death from a car accident while driving during a psychotic episode, worsening mobility, and hip fracture from fall. Continued...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 11:30 am
Not a word from John<oldandknew> Crying or Very sad He has PD as does my friend Dan from whom I have heard nothing.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 07:19 am
One man's poison .... another man's cure

A Shock to the System
To slow the progress of Parkinson's disease, doctors planted electrodes deep in my brain. Then they turned on the juice.
By Steven GuliePage

I'm lying in an operating room at the Stanford University hospital, head shaved, waiting for my brain surgery to begin. Sure, I feel anxious, but mostly I feel crowded. There are 10 people milling about, tinkering with instruments and examining me. It's an impressive crew, including a neurosurgeon and his fellow, a neurologist and her fellow, an anesthesiologist, an experimental physicist, and a graduate student in electrical engineering. That's right, a physicist and an electrical engineer. Directly behind me, out of my sight, is the star of the show, chief neurosurgeon Jaimie Henderson: 44 years old, tall, erudite, and handsome. On my right, flexing my hands, is neurologist Helen Bronte-Stewart: brisk, smart, and beautiful. In fact, nearly everyone is not only brilliant but also pretty enough to play themselves in the movie version of this story. I call them Team Hubris.

Klik continue...
Continue
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 01:29 pm
Thanks all--especially Dlowan for asking the question and Phoenix and Ge for exhaustive answers.

Mr Noddy has been diagnosed with Parkinson's--on top of diabetes, kidney failure, congestive heart failure, vascular dementia and gout.

Information is comforting.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 01:46 pm
Oh, my God, Noddy. I am so sorry, honey.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 01:49 pm
Letty--

Mr. Noddy is merry as a grig--even when I'm snarling at him. Fortunately his frequent memory lapses include erasing my ill temper.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. They are appreciated.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 05:50 pm
Hi Noddy, have you ever lived in the northeastern U.S. ......Wisconsin and east? If so have you ever had a tick bite?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:07 am
Gel--

Ticks--including deer ticks, the ones that carry Lyme Disease--are native to the Poconos. I've removed ticks from the family dogs on a regular basis.

Once, when weeding in a thoroughly neglected area, I brushed a tick off my forehead before it could start sucking blood. As far as I know, I've never been bitten.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 11:32 am
Noddy, I lived in Wisconsin in 1975. My house was on Dutch Hollow Lake, about 15 miles from any paved road .... lots of woods lots of deer and a five mile snowmobile trail which became a dirt biker's dream. I spent hours each day blasting up and down that trail. It became a ritual to check for ticks before I went into the house and there were plenty to be found
I can remember two lesions, one on my thigh, one on my belly ..... circular with a red dot in the center. I wondered what they were but filed them under not worth much thought, until 1988, the year I was diagnosed with PD. I worked in a hospital at the time so I had access to a medical library and spent a lot or time trying to understand my disease. I found an article on lymes in a medical journal complete with a photo of the lesions I had discovered on my leg and belly ... mystery solved with a new mystery to replace it. I was sure I had lyme as the symptomatology was nearly identical.

I took my findings to my neurologist only to be pronounced to be 'in denial' of parkinson's. I was not to be deterred .... I plead my case to my primary care doctor and he agreed to a two week trial of an antibiotic. at the end of the trial nothing had changed. I felt crushed, defeated ... relegated to parkinsons.

Zoom ahead to 2006, I developed severe back pain and went to the emergency room for relief. I was taken to nuclear imaging where I was found to be passing a kidney stone. They also found a tumor on my small bowel. I had that removed and on biopsy it was determined to be non malignant. It was a lymph node that was 'reactive'. The cause was a massive infection at some point in my life. back to the computer ... more research.
Long story shorter;.... I found this;

James L. Schaller, MD, MAR, PA, DABPN, DABFM

www.personalconsult.com
Is It Parkinson's or Lyme?
Are Young Adults Regularly Misdiagnosed?

Michael was a smart man in his 30's who was an actor with moderate success. He was, however, a little too impressed with Ivy. Meaning, anyone who worked as part of an "Ivy League" faculty was like a great heavenly Gnostic sage, offering the great pearls of truth. If he only knew the reality.

He was from New York and had enjoyed a wide range of vacations in the past, including hiking in the lovely New York mountains.

Lets look at the simple basic symptoms of Lyme disease.
Primary Symptoms That Are Reported to
Diagnose Parkinson's Disease

* Slow intentional movement -- if you want to go to another room it is hard to initiate this action, and once you are moving it is hard to keep going and get to the kitchen.
* Tremors in almost any part of the body when you are resting.
* Rigid or Stiff muscles -- one of the reason's folks with Parkinson's have frozen expressions
* Poor balance -- my grandfather had Parkinson's from the influenza in the 1910's and this was a serious problem. He would finally get moving and he could not keep his balance and would fall.
* Eccentric walking -- features include a wide based gait, with poor arm movement and tiny steps.

Other Parkinson's Signs

The neurological dopamine damage in the brain can cause many other symptoms. Indeed, a very wide range. Here is just a sampling:

* Psychosis and agitation
* Eating trouble -- since the muscles of eating are acting poorly, food can collect in the back of the throat. Swallowing is a very complex muscle and nerve action.
* Excess sweating and excess saliva.
* Trouble with urine and stool control
* Depression and hopelessness -- I recall my grandfather telling me over the space of fifteen minutes that he was not always this way. I was sad he said, this since I knew he was a vital and active lead RCA engineer in his time, and an avid dancer and golfer.
* Skin dryness and other skin trouble
* Eccentric handwriting including tremor signs at the point of initiation before the writing started and then very tiny letters.
* Low volume speech

The Diagnostic Disaster

The heart of the Parkinson's diagnosis is ruling out other neurological disorders, since these symptoms are found in many disorders. Most importantly, the symptoms above can occur in neurological Lyme.

As has been very well described, neuroLyme can present in a hundred ways and is called the "Great Imitator." Yet many Neurologists do not take this seriously and never consider Lyme in Seizures, ALS, Migraines, MS, Strokes or hundreds of other neurology or psychiatric diagnoses.

Since Lyme is the leading vector illness in the US, and lab tests are commonly utter junk (See 20 articles on this fact on my web site), it is easy to miss. Lyme with Parkinson's symptoms looks exactly like real Parkinson's. Exactly!

Parkinson's is progressive over years. But so is Lyme.

Parkinson's waxes and wanes, and so do the spirochetes of Lyme.

Michael had four labs look at his blood and urine, and in conclusion it was felt he might have Lyme. After eight weeks these tests were repeated and he was clearly positive -- perhaps because some Lyme was killed and pieces caused a large immune response and some parts were found in both the urine and the blood.

In six months he was the best he had been in four years, and was using a greatly reduced Parkinson's medication dose.

He had three SPECT Scans, which are nuclear exams of how the brain is eating.

The first SPECT Scan showed eight lobes with a patchy Lyme-like finding.

The second looked much worse. We suspect it was worse from the death of so many Lyme bugs and their release of toxins in their outer membrane increasing inflammation.

The third SPECT scan was markedly improved, but not yet normal.

Michael is planning on doing more work, and is pleased with his progress. He suspects he got Lyme while camping about eight years ago.

For more information on the link between Lyme and Parkinson's symptoms go to: www.lymeinfo.net/multiplesclerosis.html

My Best Regards,

Dr. J

See also:

* www.canlyme.com/lymepark.html
* www.geocities.com/lymeart3/pd-links.html
* www.benabraham.com/html/lyme_disease_-_cause__spread__.html
* www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=81262

Dr. Schalle

Since early December I have been receiving daily intravenous rocephin and it appears to be helping..I've got about three months to go so we shall see. What caught my eye with you was the multiple systems involved.

Find an infectious disease doctor if you feel you want to heck it out.

You can learn more by googling lyme associated parkinsons

good luck and hang in there
0 Replies