For crafters (non-needle)

BorisKitten

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:58 pm
Sozobe, I've seen a lot of "art clocks," but I really like yours because, not only is it way cool, you can actually read what time it is!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 11:24 am
Okay.... let's see.....

Photobucket looks promising so I'm going to try transferring an image......

http://photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/th_t.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 11:25 am
Yippee!

I'll try to get a photo of the background I was talking about on here today.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 12:31 pm
Here is a little detail of the backdrop:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/th_background.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 01:10 pm
Ooooh!!!!

I bet it made for some absolutely ravishing portraits. A bit old master, but a little edgy too. So cool. Great, rich color.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 01:52 pm
Thanks, soz!

I was inspired by the painting "Madame X" by Sargent and wanted something similar so I just experimented and riffed on the colors.

http://www.mezzo-mondo.com/arts/mm/sargent/SAJ004_L.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 06:10 pm
Thanks for the link to photobucket, Vivian!

I've been having fun with it all day. It was so easy to sign up and it is so easy to use.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 04:31 pm
Yes, it is easy and good Very Happy and someone kind gave me the info - actually it might have been Misti now I think about it.

You can send and invitation to friends to view your site - Misti explained that one I do remember. I hadn't noticed - it saves a lot of emailing of images to just give them a link.

forgot to say - that background is gorgeous.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:57 pm
Thank you very much! I'm really proud of it. It's in "retirement" right now as I kind of like to put a limited time frame on things.

Here is one of my favorite photos taken with it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/birthday.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:00 pm
Oh, wow!

Doesn't even need to be in color to be a great backdrop, with all that variation and texture to it.

Fantastic photo. I mean I know I know you're a pro this is how you make your living but WOW.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 05:45 am
Very Happy lovely
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 10:41 am
"Wow" is the highest complement you can pay a portrait photographer so you've got me blushing here.

Thank you soz and Viven.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 04:41 pm
An udpdate -- just finished my first jewelry project in a long time, a trio of amythest and mother-of-pearl bracelets for my mom.

http://img50.echo.cx/img50/9370/mombracelets7dk.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 05:02 pm
whered you get the tumbled chunks of amethyst? Looks neat.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 05:10 pm
I got all the beads at two local stores -- the tumbled chunks were the starting point, for just that reason. ("Hey, those are neat.")

If I did it over again I'd get rid of some of the asymmetrical aspects (the three chunks, three mother-of-pearl, and one round amythest bead especially bothers me), but I had to get 'em the right length and I just eyeballed it. Also wouldn't pull the string so tight when I tied 'em off (they are kinda gnarled instead of sitting nicely in a line -- used stretchy clear filament.) Ended up using every single bead I bought, though.

Meanwhile, the store I found today is daannngerous. Gorgeous stuff, good prices.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 06:48 pm
Soz!

Those are really wonderful.

Did you make that for your mom for mother's day or is it for yourself?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 06:48 pm
The reason I asked was because Ive never seen amethyst with the dark and light areas like that. They really stand out as an eye catcher. Yo momma gonna luve them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:00 pm
For my mom.

Hope she luves 'em!

Have to GET them to her on time, though... had most of the materials on Monday, but won't get it in the mail 'til tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:41 pm
Mom liked 'em!

The jewelry beast has been unleashed, though. Made these today:

http://img170.echo.cx/img170/9079/earrings9ln.jpg

I had the main element already, earrings that were given to me that were way too heavy. Each of the three loops at the bottom had a garnet bead and a big fleur-de-lis silver bead. They also had a big (3/8 inch) silver florette at the top -- posts, not wires. It was all a bit incongruous and busy and mostly way the heck too heavy.

I like the elements, though.

So I took off the post, put on the wire (sterling, with beading you can't really see in this view), took off the garnet and fleur-de-lis beads, and put on some pearl dangles I had from a necklace that had broken. (I always keep broken jewelry for that reason.) Nice movement, and puts emphasis on the central part which I think is most interesting.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 08:19 am
Those earrings are way cool, soz!

I like the idea of remaking things. I hardly ever wear any jewelry anymore but I have some really nice stuff. I think I'll take a look at it to see if I can't rework it into something that suits me a bit better at this point in my life.
0 Replies