For crafters (non-needle)

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 08:35 pm
A bridge too far?

Welding would be good to know...
I have a good friend who is a bronze sculptor, that, apparently, is immense fun.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 09:17 pm
I do not understand your wisdom. (A bridge too far?)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 09:58 pm
It was a movie, back with a link...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:02 pm
A Bridge Too Far

Sorry for the confusion, I tend to riff on words..
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 08:15 am
Tyrius, are you making a bridge like people or cars can go over it? Or a "model" bridge?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:20 pm
or are you , perhaps a dental student?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 03:16 pm
Finally figured out how to brighten! (Adjusted first photo.) Just scanned a bunch, will work on 'em and post later.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 06:22 pm
Oh I love that plate!

A friend of mine once made me a dish to hold milkbones that had a painting of my dog on it. It is one of my most treasured items. It currently serves to hold milkbones for its third dog.

I wish I were good at making things. Painting, carving, carpentry, welding - its all good and I'm jealous of you that know how.

I make things but they are always kind of nutty, impractical things. I made a valence for Mo's room out of lichen covered tree bark that is pretty cool. Right now I have a 7x20 foot backdrop (done on the back of a piece of lineoleum) made out of copper leaf, rolled up in my dining room, that is probably my best creation. I also made a circular planter out of logs that I plan to wood burn a circle-story into once I know I can expect a few days of clear, warm weather.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:35 am
Oh please can we see the copper leaf backdrop???
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:43 am
Yes, that sounds stunning!

How did you make it? (Like, how big was each piece of copper leaf, what was the fixative, how long did it take, etc.)

The valence sounds awesome, too.

I found and scanned a bunch of pics yesterday, then spent a lot of time figuring out how to brighten with iPhoto already -- iPhoto is a big part of why I got my Mac!! (I don't know if this is the answer or just an answer, but I figured out that the changes are saved within iPhoto, but the new, changed image actually has a new file name. So instead of "animalphoto.jpg" [which I named it], the brightened image is "animalphoto_1.jpg" [which iPhoto went ahead and named it.)

Anyway between the figuring and the fooling it all took a while, will post in dribs and drabs.

This is a clock I made -- all me this time, no purchased greenwhere -- for a deaf event with a theme of multiculturalism. (The handshape means "I love you", though in practice it's more casual, "luv ya" or something.) I purchased the clock mechanism itself at Michael's I think, just left a hole in the clay, then assembled.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SACZAvkVJC78eEsI1kxQIBWK1lVdCOqYXN9JBcTUA3mF5LoREKmSMKd96XsPHWf69zyIGeAgouixkQpWYz6uF3B*HVrF4UmzkS91sqau0bQzAAAAynINAg/clock.jpg

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgAfA2wYOeWDxGgfoqs7sVwHIW!g5L4ZENJiF0bYLfKv6po0qUReVMla1MFOQneyBfsUv7TvGKqKYE357fx7CBSml2Xw5SaX6dxo9zzhTcAt3owSxyuOuw/clockdetail.jpg

The numbers were made with porcelain slip. (Liquid clay you squeeze out of a bottle.) The back was made with terra cotta clay and a clear glaze. Half of the hands were made with white clay, half with terra cotta clay (these aren't the right terms, I have to remember), and then white + terra cotta pairs given the same glaze. So three glazes, 2 types of clay, 6 colors.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:46 am
(It's round btw, picture was taken on an angle.)

Oh and when I just uploaded the images to Raven's Realm I think I figured out something about the apple images -- I found the "animalphoto_1" in the iPhoto Library directory and thought it was the name, I think it was actually just that I got it from the iPhoto Library directory. Those two pics had their original names but the brightening shows.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 09:53 am
I love the clock too, soz. You make some wonderful stuff!

Since they closed the gallery here I really haven't found a place to post pictures to bring them over. I post some to Huskers site but can't seem to transfer them over.

The hardest part of making the backdrop was finding a piece of old lineoleum that didn't have a texturized back. First I painted the whole thing with red primer. Then I glued 5x5 squares of copper leaf to it using diluted Elmer's glue and spray glue - not worring too much about where it stuck and where it didn't. Then I went over the whole thing with a really weak black glaze to mellow it a bit. Last was several coats of amber varnish (my secret weapon for anything and everything).

I'll try later to get a photo in - it is pretty cool.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 09:54 am
isn't it imageshack.com that folks like for transfers? Something like that, boomerang..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 09:56 am
Oh man that sounds just gorgeous. Love the details you mention, mellowing etc.

I have been using Raven's Realm, image shack is another one a lot of people have been using:

http://www.imageshack.us/

I haven't used it yet but my MSN space is just about full so will need to branch out soon.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 10:26 am
Wonderful clock, Soz!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 10:59 am
I'm in happy awe of other peoples' talents.

Diversity is more than a trendy word--diversity is a cheerful fact.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:00 am
photobucket

this is the site I've been using, someone here (?Monger) told me about it and it is really good for linking as you can link by URL or IMG and the address is there for you to just copy and paste into a2k.

Love that clock Soz - gorgeous.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:31 am
Wow! Look at all this talent!

Soz
Beautiful Plat and clock. I can't wait to see more.

I paint ceramic peices that are already made, but unfinished. I use a clear sealer instead of a glaze on mine. I'll post some pics when I get a chance to upload them in photo bucket.
I had trouble getting pictures here as well, but then Vivien came to the rescue with the link to photobucket and it's a piece of cake now :-D
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:42 am
Thanks all.

By the way word-pictures are good, too -- farmerman and gus especially are quite adept at describing something well enough that the fact that you haven't actually seen it is irrelevant. I have a clear picture in my head of Boomer's glorious backdrop as well.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:45 am
Same here. I can picture all the beautiful things they are making.
0 Replies