American Nazi Party: 'We Clean Your Highway'

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 01:45 pm
I know, Americans can't understand, how we in Europe can discuss banning Nazi symbols ( EU leaders to push for ban on Nazi symbols ).

But I would go mad, if I would see this here in Europe:

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/L_IMAGE.101688cd0b5.93.88.fa.7c.4df6aae7.jpg
Road sign for American Nazi Party appearing in Marion County

Quote:
Nazi Party road signs in Marion Co. draw ire

Source

Yesterday has been the 60th anniversary of Auschwitz liberation, btw.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 778 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Idaho

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 01:52 pm
I hate the American Nazi Party and everything they stand for, but if you want to live in a free society there is no guarantee you won't be offended from time to time. They wouldn't have been able to have the sign there if some other group had stepped up to take on the responsibility of cleaning that section of highway. Look at it as a great conversation starter when driving with your kids - take the opportunity to explain what the Nazis were all about and why they were to bad.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 01:56 pm
free speach and all that goes with it, which is why the ACLU defends even the American Nazi Party (and rightly so)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 01:57 pm
I support people's right to be jackasses if they like.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 02:04 pm
Walter, I think even US Jews would understand the sign being allowed to stay. As long as there isn't any libel, such as a slur against the Jews, that sign is perfectly legal. The fact that it represents something oscene has no bearing as long as slander isn't involved.

As Bob said, the right to free speech is one of the greatest rights we have in this country; which is why the ACLU will defend these thugs if they haven't broken the law. And the ACLU has many Jewish attorneys in its employ.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 02:07 pm
I'm feeling a bit faint....because I completely agree with Idaho....and dys and diane ands clyclo...we seem to have a bi partisan agreement going here.....very unusual...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 02:08 pm
Well, I respect that.

Here, in Europe, we have a different view.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 02:11 pm
Well, it was much more of an immediate problem in Europe, and one which the signs are still very visible and memorable.

Over here, it's like calling yourself a cargo cultist; just seems antiquated and stupid.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 02:13 pm
I'm sure that one day we in America will feel about the term Neo-Con the way you feel about the term Nazi....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 02:15 pm
The sad thing is, Marion County, Ore. is no backwater. The state capitol, Salem, is there. The jackasses who paid for this knew that people would notice and be outraged...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 02:17 pm
I lived with my father for six months out of my life in Salem Oregon when I was 13. Except for the fact that my Father was there, I have really nice memories of Salem. Is it still a nice place? Outside of the Nazis I mean?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 02:33 pm
Not bad for a state capitol. And like the rest of Western Oregon, not far from the coast, which is fantastic!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 02:38 pm
My father had property at Newport Beach. I vauely remember some big rock formation that filled and emptied with the tide...maybe Devils Punchbowl or soemthing like that?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 02:51 pm
Sounds about right (though I'm not sure about the name). It's been too long since I visited, but you'd be amazed, Bear, at how Newport has been gentrified since your day...
0 Replies