Imperialism

x-rusty

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 11:11 am
Ok, in our history class we are going to play a game similar to risk. Our group basically is one of the imperialist nations and we try to conquer colonies all over the world. The Americas are off limits but Africa, Asia, Australia, and all other islands are up for grabs.

Basically, I need you guys to help me figure out which ones to conquer.

Our team thought to first start at India and all nations surrounding it. Then the southern tip of Africa and work ourself up.

Which country was well placed for trading? Which had natural resources, exotic goods?

this post was edited by me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 770 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 11:33 am
I think you'd better do some more research, dude, before you get to playing this game for keeps. You don't seem to have a real tight grasp on geography. (1) Cape Cod on the southern tip of Africa? Cape Cod is in Massachusetts. The tip of Africa is known as the Cape of Good Hope. (2) Most of Africa desert? Tell that to the people who live in the rain forests (aka "jungles") and to those along the extensive coastline. (3) "...unless they have some hidden oil or something." HA! In the historical period you're talking about, nobody knew that crude oil was worth anything. That's why whales were hunted, for whale oil to keep the oil lamps burning. It so happens that many parts of Africa do have considerable oil reserves, e.g. Lybia on the Mediterranean coast and the Persian Gulf states. Africa also has probably more diamonds and gold deposits than any other part of the known world. There's even a country on the Atlantic coast (West Africa) called the Gold Coast. Look it up on a map. Ivory. Animal pels for furs. You name it, Africa has riches.

These are just some thoughts off the top of my head. But I do earnestly beseech you, young x-rusty, do some more studying. You need help.
0 Replies

x-rusty

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 08:28 pm
Sorry, anyway I did research.

Some info about the game:
1. You can't conquer landlocked countries right away. You havta to start from a country bordered by water and work your way into the continents.
2. The closer your colonies are, the better and more points you get at the end.
3. Points are not based on the most colonies conquered or the biggest. It is based on its location (if its a long trading routes), natural resources, and goods.

First off, our team is going to conquer India first, and all the countries next to it along the coast. After that, we are going to start conquering the souther tip of Africa, and work ourway up.

And here is my research:

Sri Lanka- conquered by Portugal (1505), the Netherlands (1656), and then Britain (1796). It had tea and rubber.
Malaya- Portuguese then Dutch then British; rich in tin and rubber.
Egypt, Algeria - Suez Canal which was crucial to shipping routes

Also, at max, we can probably conquer only 6 colonies (more or less). After that, we will have to wage war on other nations to take control of other colonies.

Any hints, comments, strategies?
0 Replies