Almost perfect?

ryunin

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:50 pm
As nobody replied to my post Could you polish this... I tried to polish myself using Google a lot as reference.

So what do you think?

Here we go:

At their father's funeral, where several ex-lovers of his take part, Jana (Tatiana Vilhelmova) and Anna (Karolina Kaiserova) learn about the existence of their half-brother Vladimir (Jan Budar). The youngest of them Anna, who desires to be more than just plain and imperfect, is eagerly waiting for her first romance. Her sister Jana is on the verge of breakdown while trying to keep her marriage with woman hunter Jan (Ondrej Vetchy) working. Newly discovered brother Vladimir is neurotically looking for himself and good-natured Frantisek (Sasa Rasilov), who spends too much time on business trips, suffers too, as his wife Karin (Alice Vesela) has fun spending time with her secret lover. A mosaic of individual destinies, including the sisters' mother's, is put together bit by bit giving the audience a show sparkling with wicked humor.

Dirty Soul is a feature about trying to find the path to happiness, which often leads to piling up one mistake after another, yet making it at the very last moment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,017 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:54 pm
I can't think of a single letter I would change. Good work!

Joe
0 Replies

ryunin

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:09 pm
Thank you Joe, good to see you again, at least your words.

It seems I have learned something since last week. This is only my second translation into English. I was hoping people at this forum would do the work for me, I mean polish everything but as I was running out of time I tried to polish it myself. Now I am working on the interviews, which seem easier, but on the other hand those actors often speak about things I am not so familiar with. ANyway, the company I am doing the translation for, does not expect me to write like a native speaker, so I hope I will get paid again.

I think I will find a native speaker English teacher in Prague with whom I could consult everything , it's usually between 10 and 20 pages, so I can't do it all here. And I will pay him or her like I would pay for an English lesson.

I am beginning to really enjoy this work, especially with all those resources on the net and this forum is amazing, too.

Thank you again, the beginning is always hard.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:13 pm
I don't like "sisters' mother's." You should use as few apostrophes as possible in a formal paper/review.

I would also try to get rid of the 'is'es. I think "awaits" works better than "is waiting" for example.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:17 pm
What language are you translating from?
0 Replies

ryunin

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:37 pm
Thank you for your tips, I translate from Czech. The logic, the word order is quite different.

ANd while in Czech we use things like peripetie, hyperbola, which sound like international words, you just don't seem to use them so dictionaries are often no use. The dictinary says hyperbola means hyperbole in English, but the dictionary won't say don't use this word as nobody uses it in real English, so I just have to follow my instinct...

for example when I tried to translate HYPERBOLE, I was trying to remember an American film with this kind of thing, and Prizzi's Honor is the kind of movie we call hyperbolic or something in Czech, but in English, the closest term seems to be WICKED, so I used wicked and instead of peripetia I used escapades.

I with there was a REAL Czech REAL English dictionary.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:33 am
HYPERBOLE

Hyperbole is extreme overblown description, as "Her behind was forty axe handles wide, but she made even that look good."

Having said that, I like your use of wicked humor to describe the movie. It describes the naughty sexy commotion well. It also makes you sound like a Bostonian. They use wicked to mean really, really good, a party can be wicked fun, or really, really bad, you can have a wicked headache, or just something extreme as "I had to run upstairs and take a wicked piss."

CAUTION: No one else in America uses wicked like they do, as soon as you travel sixty miles from Boston wicked means evil or sinful again.

Joe(American speak English, but some of them speak Texan) Nation
0 Replies

ryunin

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:39 am
man, what a mess

but it's the same thing with Czech slang

by the way do you think an actress could use the word "tits" in an interview for a serious paper?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:51 am
ryunin wrote:
man, what a mess

but it's the same thing with Czech slang

by the way do you think an actress could use the word "tits" in an interview for a serious paper?

That's why God made desk editors.

Whether or not the actress said it has no bearing upon whether a paper, based on it's editorial policy, will print it. You'd see it in a magazine, the New Yorker, Atlantic Monthly, People, but you are less likely to see it printed in the New York Times or other dailys. Still it would depend, in an interview maybe, in a news item, not unless it was necessary to the story.

Joe (ask your editor to edit it. Cool )Nation
0 Replies

ryunin

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 05:41 am
thank you, i just didn't want to repeat the word breast three times in a sentence wondering what the actress would use
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 06:18 am
What was the sentence?

<Breasts, breasts, breasts, that's all they ever notice, breast!!>??

Oh, I used it four times...... Smile
0 Replies