Auschwitz Anniversary Today - What Have We Learned

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 09:41 pm
Habib psychologically scarred: US lawyer
January 30, 2005 - 12:46PM/the AGE

The lawyers for former Guantanamo Bay inmate Mamdouh Habib said today there were grounds to seek compensation for his detention, although no decision had been made.

Mr Habib's US counsel Joe Margulies speaking in Sydney today was critical of US authorities' handling Mr Habib's arrest in Pakistan in October 2001.

''The rendition, the transfer (of Mr Habib) from Pakistan to Egypt by US authorities was unlawful and the question is whether we will proceed with that litigation and that decision hasn't been made,'' he told reporters at Sydney Airport.

''For three years we have asked for one thing only and that is an opportunity to clear his name in a fair process.

''We ask only that the (US) government be asked to demonstrate the lawfulness of his detention by a legitimate means - that is by applying fixed and transparent standards in a fair tribunal.

''... that didn't happen, he was released instead and that speaks for itself and so now the question is whether the (US) government will continue to speak ill of him but refuse the obligation to come in and put up any evidence about it.''
... <cont.)

<complete article>
http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Habib-psychologically-scarred-US-lawyer/2005/01/30/1107020241894.html?oneclick=true

`
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 08:19 am
It irritates me when people talk about Nazi death-camps. They rarely aknowledge that during the war even the "civilised" countries had concentration camps. Not as bad... (perhaps)... but they had them never the less.

The Nazis did not have a monopoly on evil. They were normal humans who in a moment of panic and fear turned to a raving moronic lunatic who they believed had a solution. Recent events lead me to suspect that we have learned absolutely nothing.

The capacity for similiar acts exists in the human species as a whole. We could do it as easily. That is the lesson that should be learned, but hasn't.

P.S. Msolga. Do you actually read Kurt or is that just a random quote you liked the sound of? I loved Slaughterhouse 5.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 05:21 am
theantibuddha

I LOVE Kurt! I've been a "fan" for years & years! He makes more sense of the madness than most politicians, I reckon! Very Happy

Yes, Slaughterhouse 5 was wonderful!

A Kurt thread from a while back you might be interested in:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5928&highlight=
0 Replies