Auschwitz Anniversary Today - What Have We Learned

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:06 pm
Didn't notice a thread about this on the front page so I thought I'd post one, just to let everybody know:

Quote:
World Leaders Mark Auschwitz Liberation

So, sixty years later, what have we learned?

Sidenote: although the Nazi's carried out the actual gassing, the rest of the Western world is guilty in their apathy. We knew about the existence of Auschwitz since at least 1942, and chose to do nothing. Repeated pleas by lower ranking officers to bomb the camp or the rail lines leading to it were ignored. In fact, we repeatedly bombed industrial complexes surrounding Auschwitz while deliberatly avoidind the camp itself. This fact, combined with our refusal to admit Jewish refugees in adequate numbers, makes America a partner in crime to the Holocaust, as far as I'm is concerned. The lesson, if there is one, is that apathy kills.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,876 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:27 pm
Did we know about the death going on at the camps? I don't kow how that is possible when people living in cities near the camp didn't even know the full extent of what was going on.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:38 pm
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:53 pm
Kudos to Signore Pera. As for Ms. Peyser, though ...well, her style clearly shows she's writing for the paper she's most suited for.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 08:29 pm
Sadly very little, I think.

We still have genocides going in a number of places - it seems to sort of move around.

We have bright shiny new concentration camps - not least as part of the 'war on terror'.

We have the recent "ethnic cleansing" in the former Jugoslavia....

I wonder how many kids today know about Auschwitz et al???
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 08:32 pm
I don't believe most of the world learned a damn thing from it.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 08:32 pm
ILZ, here is a link to Walter Hinteler's thread on the Holocaust:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44296&highlight=
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 09:01 pm
Anyone read Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning"?

That is what - (on a silly personal level) - I have learned - initially from the holocaust, which I read a great deal about as a child - the idea of still being able to find some meaning in life, despite the existence of the most unspeakable suffering and brutality - which the holocaust epitomises, for us, I think.

Though there have been many other holocausts, this is the one which speaks most to we westerners, and which we are most likely to begin trying to deal with, psychologically and historically speaking - though many of us live on the fruits of other, somewhat similar, if less organised, slaughters, the realisation of which as similar horrors is also very important, I think.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 12:13 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/01/26/2701_toon_gallery__550x389,0.jpg

This is one of the things that I've learned: Leaders keep employing Goerings' method to achieve their own ends & it it keeps working! How come we never learn? Sad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 05:59 am
Yep.

Works every time.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 06:45 am
It reminds me of the conversation between two characters in Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. The first one (Jake Barnes) asks: "How did you go bankrupt?" The other answers: "Two ways. First gradually and then suddenly."

That seems to be the situation with moral bankruptcy as well. I am anxious about the current state of the world.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 04:41 pm
The U. N.'s PR coup

By Anne Bayefsky
Anne Bayefsky is a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute and a visiting professor at Touro and Metropolitan Colleges in New York.

© 2005, Anne Bayefsky
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:10 pm
msolga wrote:
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/01/26/2701_toon_gallery__550x389,0.jpg

This is one of the things that I've learned: Leaders keep employing Goerings' method to achieve their own ends & it it keeps working! How come we never learn? Sad

Sometimes, countries ARE attacked. No deception or manipulation required. Attacked citizens naturally look to their elected leaders to prevent it from happening again.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:19 pm
Lash

I would rather not turn this thread into a debate about US policy & if I respond that's what it most likely will become. I just don't want to do that today ...

I'm sitting here right now contemplating Andrew's last post - the Anne Bayefsky piece. Thinking, thinking ...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:23 pm
Ridge said just today that it's "inevitable" that we will be 'attacked again'.

Think that's the sort of manipulation msolga was referring to.

Of course, in the Bush administration, it's hard to tell Goering from Hess from Goebbels from Speer from Himmler from Jodl from Eichmann from Mengele.

We won't call them Nazis, though. Or fascists either.

It's impolite.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 11:16 pm
Nought to Nazi in 15 - not bad, but not a record.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 07:35 am
I will respect MsOlga's wishes and not comment on anything that compares Bush & Co. to any previous terrorist government on this planet.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 09:16 pm
Right!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 09:28 pm
MsOlga--

I would rather not turn this thread into a one-sided, unfair characterization of my country. I just don't want to do that today.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 09:31 pm
Fair enough! Confused
0 Replies