An actress talking about shooting

ryunin

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 09:28 am
Here is an example how I translate a part of interview with an actress.
I wonder if she sounds natural, but also technically correct film wise.
I still struggle with understanding the difference between a scene, a shot, a set.

Do you find anything strange or incorrect? Thanks

What was the most difficult part during shooting?
It seems that when violence is being shot, it is harder for the one who is beaten. This is not true at all. It's much harder for the one who has to act out the beating part. There is one very tough, but very well shot scene in the film like that. When we finished it with Ondrej, we had a beer and talked about how strange it is to act out sex, you know pretend sexual arousal and things like that, but what we found really bizzare was beating each other. It made quite a bad effect on the staff people too. I remember that there was silence during breaks. Nobody found those scenes nice. People were a little bit embarrassed. The worst thing was when we managed almost the whole arrangement and text but in the last sentence I made a mistake in the text. I felt like a goalkeeper who didn't catch a ball - Ondra being my teammate. Shooting was quite demanding physically too.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 567 • Replies: 4
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 10:51 am
"Shooting" is another way to say "filming".

A "set" is essentially the stage (a living room, a restaurant, whatever) where the action is taking place.

A "scene" is what takes place on that particular "set".

A "shot" is a bit of a "scene".

You might say:

The "scene" we are "shooting" today takes place on the restraurant "set". The first "shot" will be the waiter coming out of the kitchen.
0 Replies

ryunin

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:53 am
thank you for the explanation

now i hope somebody will comment on the language
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:30 pm
I understood what you were saying.

If you are writing for an American audience you might try....

When shooting scenes involving violence, many people assume that playing the part of the victim is most difficult when really playing the part of the abuser is harder.

There was one very difffult scene. When we finished filming, Ondrej and I had a beer and discussed how hard it is to feign sexual arousal, things like that.

But what was really bizarre were the scenes where we had to beat each other. It even made the crew (staff) uncomfortable. During breaks, everyone was silent. Nobody enjoyed these scenes.

The worst thing was that we had managed to film nearly the entire scene when I made a mistake in the last line of the dialogue. I felt like a goalkeeper who had dropped the ball - Ondra being my team-mate.

Shooting was also physically demanding.

This is not my forte but I hope it helps.

Good luck!
0 Replies

ryunin

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:44 pm
great, thank you boomerang, I hope I can learn from your example and make use of it in other parts of the interview
0 Replies