Blood Pressure Devices-Some Advice Please!

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 10:23 pm
The woman next door is in her 80's, and has high blood pressure.

She can't read a dial type device. I am buying her a digital model.

It's down to a Samsung model and Omron model. Each has a digital display, and each only require the user to pump up until it hits an automatic release point-then just read a digital display. Much easier than the dial type.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with the Samsung or Omron devices, please let me know. I bought some Samsung audio equipment years ago, and it now has a good name, so I am leaning in that direction. But any advice or experience as to which product to buy is appreciated.

Omron:
http://www.portablenebs.com/omron412C_main.htm

Samsung:
http://www.allheart.com/sshd503.html

Like I said, I probably will end up buying it for her. Also, there is another item.

She doesn't like to take medication that much, and has seen people who take too many pills improve by getting off medication. Unfortunately, this has led her to the belief that she should take nifedrine every other day, instead of every day like her doctor prescribed. I am trying to get her a blood pressure device she can use, so that she can compare how her blood pressure is when she takes the nifediprine every day instead of every other day.

In other words, I am trying to get her to follow doctor's orders and using the blood pressure device as a method. So I want to get her a decent device.

Any experience or advice is helpful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,681 • Replies: 15
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 10:42 pm
I have no experience in the 'brand names' but I have been a nurse for a while.
I know , when it comes to ease , and accuracy the home devices are just as good as the manual ones you see in hospitals.
The best kind to get are the ones you can slip over the wrist. They are simple and someone can operate them on thier own.
Make sure that the one you pick has a memory option. It will record any changes that happen and on the next Dr visit, you can just take the b/p machine with you and not have to keep track of little notes.
Also, the ones that strap on the wrist have smaller cuffs and have proven ( to me at least ) to be able to withstand more abuse then the normal ones. Seeing that they cover a smaller area, the material is alot thicker and almost completely water resistant.

Due to medical regulations of b/P machines, I would feel safe in saying that they all are accurate and will work properly. Keeping track of the battery life is critical. Make a note to change the batterys every 4 months. Sooner if you would like, but no longer then that since you can not tell that they are running low . They only way to tell is if they start giving inaccurate readings.With someone who has a b/p problem, you may not detect it in time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 11:35 pm
I had a little scare earlier this year, with a high bp in doctor's office and was told to monitor it. I tried the apparatus from my ex's mother... and didn't trust it. Went to Walgreen's and picked an intermediate device, from which I subsequently had 30 or 40 normal readings, which I was glad to see.

And, those were confirmed at the md's.

But I like the device, let me go get the name of it. -

ok, it's not a catchy name.

Deluxe Automatic Inflate Blood Pressure Monitor with Heart Sense, model BD 6080W. It wasn't the cheapest on the shelf, nor the most expensive. If I remember right, it was around $60.00, but don't trust me on that, it might have been less and just seemed to be $60. in my mind.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 10:24 am
Shewolf:

Thank you very much for your answer. I was leaning toward the wrist devices anyway, as ease of use is pretty important with her. For example she just learned how to use a CD player this year, lol. Smile

I saw a wrist monitor not too much more expensive than the armband type, so I am leaning that way. Thank you for your info.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 10:26 am
I had to buy my great grammy one not too long ago. I got her the wrist monitor also. Hers was 58.00. Then batteries, wich it took 4, so all together I spent about 60 bucks. Not bad.
For being such a life saving device, it is nice that they dont break the bank !
You are welcome and I hope things go well with you and your attempts to ' get someone to listen to thier doc' hehe
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 10:32 am
ossobuco wrote:
I tried the apparatus from my ex's mother... and didn't trust it.

What about it made you not trust it?

ossobucco wrote:
Went to Walgreen's and picked an intermediate device, from which I subsequently had 30 or 40 normal readings, which I was glad to see.

Not certain what you mean by "intermediate device"-do you mean intermediately priced?

I'll look for your device on the net-or just hop over to Walgreen's and check it out there. Thank you for your experience on this.

I am thinking of picking a blood pressure device myself, but the regular dial type ones are now so cheap, I guess I'll just go with them. It is the limited mechanical aptitude of my neighbor that I am concerned about. The easier, the better.

Again, thanks.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 10:47 am
Ossobucco:

I did a quick search for "Deluxe Automatic Inflate Blood Pressure Monitor with Heart Sense, model BD 6080W" and got nothing from Google.

I'm thinking perhaps the brand name is not "Deluxe", but some other brand they put in small letters, while putting the "Deluxe" word in large letters as an advertising ploy.

Can you find any brand name on your device? I have a hunch it is really something like:

Jones Deluxe Automatic Inflate Blood Pressure Monitor with Heart Sense model BD 6080W

or

Smith Deluxe Automatic Inflate Blood Pressure Monitor with Heart Sense model BD 6080W

Very Happy
ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 10:49 am
I didn't trust the pressure reading with the many decades old blood pressure device, as the dial reading never started at zero, but at some high number, then zero... the gauge was out of whack in some way.
The device I purchased was at an intermediate price re the range of choices on the shelf.
It has an arm cuff, not a wrist thing, a digital apparatus that pumps up the cuff, records and shows the readings, and deflates the cuff automatically. It also keeps a list of the readings so you/your doctor can see any patterns occurring.

I think it's nifty.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:04 am
Kelticwizard, I suspect the brand name is Walgreen's.
Will double check.

Yes, it is, Walgreen's. I suppose other drug store chains carry an equivalent item.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:05 am
Ossobucco:

I will check it out, either on the net or Walgreen's. I think they just opened a new one around here. Thanks.

Shewolf:

Yes, getting someone to follow doctor's orders can be hard, especially if they don't completely trust doctors. So this is not only a good thing for her to have, it's a sneaky way to make her see that it is important to take the right dose. Very Happy
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:28 am
Ossobucco:

Just went to Walgreen's home page. They have a model 6090 similar to yours, with Heart Sense, which says how much pressure should be inflated. Similar price.

Looks interesting. I will check out, along with the other models Walgreen's has.

http://www.walgreens.com/search/search_results.jhtml?No=0&term=blood+pressure&submit.y=14&submit.x=70&section=A&N=0

Apparently, these days Walgreen's has stopped calling these Walgreen's and started calling them Healthy Living, which is no doubt is Walgreen's own proprietary name. Same difference.

Thank you very much for your advice. I will check out both this and the varioius wrist monitors-including Walgreens'-and make a decision.

Thanks again!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:36 am
kelticwizard wrote:

I am thinking of picking a blood pressure device myself, but the regular dial type ones are now so cheap, I guess I'll just go with them. It is the limited mechanical aptitude of my neighbor that I am concerned about. The easier, the better.

Again, thanks.

If you dont have alot of experience taking a b/p with the regular hand pump and dial face this may not be a good thing for you to get accurate readings off of.
When taking your own blood pressure you have to remember , you can already hear your heart beat. No matter what. And using an arm pump is easy, but since the whole thing is to ' listen' for the first beat, you may have a hard time getting used to listening OVER what you already hear.
Make sence?
I do it, but I take it 3 times in the morning. Simply because I know that out of 3 times , if the numbers are radicaly diffrent , I am definatly wrong. But if they are the same ( with in 1-3 digits) then I am ok.

Quote:
Yes, getting someone to follow doctor's orders can be hard, especially if they don't completely trust doctors. So this is not only a good thing for her to have, it's a sneaky way to make her see that it is important to take the right dose. Very Happy

HA HA! I love your thinking!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:37 am
Kelticwizard, your neighbor is very lucky to have you as her next door neighbor. Tip 'o the hat to you.
0 Replies

n6jub

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 01:42 pm
@kelticwizard,
My wife is also looking for the BD-6080W BP monitor -- did you ever find the manufacturer or where to buy one?

Andy Andreasen
[email protected]
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 01:53 pm
mine from Walgreens wrist type digital is labeled Life-Scource (A and D Medical) UB 328, I use it daily and it has memory.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 02:22 pm
@dyslexia,
I now use the Walgreen's wrist monitor bp device - certainly easier than the devices you pump youself. It's made by HoMedics..
(After I moved the earlier device was packed away somewhere, and I bought the wrist one as a temporary replacement - and ended up happy with it.)
0 Replies