Fiscal Responsibility? Yeah, right...

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 11:22 am
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/26/politics/26deficit.html?ex=1264395600&en=ed44dd2c1f7b508d&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland

Quote:
Bush Aides Say Budget Deficit Will Rise Again
By EDMUND L. ANDREWS

Published: January 26, 2005

ASHINGTON, Jan. 25 - The White House announced on Tuesday that the federal budget deficit was expected to rise this year to $427 billion, a figure that includes a new request from President Bush to help pay for the war in Iraq.

The White House's announcement makes it the fourth straight year in which the budget deficit was expected to grow; as recently as last July the administration had predicted that the deficit, which was $412 billion last year, would fall this year to $331 billion.

Another predicition drastically shattered. How many incorrect predictions are they going to make before we throw the bums out?

Quote:
The Congressional Budget Office noted that if Mr. Bush wins Congressional approval to make his tax cuts permanent, a top priority for the administration, the deficit would grow by $2 trillion over the next 10 years. If war costs in Iraq and Afghanistan taper off gradually, the agency estimated that price tag over the next 10 years could total nearly $600 billion.

Great. Question to Republicans: how can you support this irresponsibility?

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 732 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 11:43 am
He can fool the American public, but foreign investors are a lot smarter. Their grumbling about the incompetitive of the Bush economic team is getting louder. It could be a wild ride for the next few years...

(And, for the Fox News viewers in the audience, this is important because these foreigners invest in our stocks and bonds.)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 12:35 pm
Exactly, D.

The problem is known as Capital Flight . It's probably the most dangerous consequence of the current admin's fiscal irresponsibility.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:55 pm
Cycloptichorn:
This is what makes me crazy as well. If a Democratic president were spending like a drunken sailor for whatever reason, you couldn't stand the screaming you'd be hearing from our fiscal conservative, Republican friends............?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 02:14 pm
Whole buncha' silence these days though.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:27 am
Cy - I didn't see a date on that Capital Flight link, but Seymour Hersch had this to say the other day:

Quote:
Another salvation may be the economy. It's going to go very bad, folks. You know, if you have not sold your stocks and bought property in Italy, you better do it quick. And the third thing is Europe -- Europe is not going to tolerate us much longer. The rage there is enormous. I'm talking about our old-fashioned allies. We could see something there, collective action against us. Certainly, nobody -- it's going to be an awful lot of dancing on our graves as the dollar goes bad and everybody stops buying our bonds, our credit -- our -- we're spending $2 billion a day to float the debt, and one of these days, the Japanese and the Russians, everybody is going to start buying oil in Euros instead of dollars. We're going to see enormous panic here. But he could get through that. That will be another year, and the damage he's going to do between then and now is enormous. We're going to have some very bad months ahead.

We've Been Taken Over By A Cult

I posted a couple of articles several months back about the switching of oil pricing to the euro and what it would do to the dollar. I have seen a couple of articles again this week indicating that this is becoming more likely and that foreign investment is beginning to flee.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:46 am
The switching of the Iraqi oil standard to the Euro is probably what percipitated the timing of the Iraq war.

Quote:
Colin Powell gave a glimpse of U.S. intentions when he told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Feb. 6 that success in the Iraq war ''could fundamentally reshape that region in a powerful, positive way that will enhance U.S. interests.''

The same report stated, ''The Federal Reserve's greatest nightmare is that OPEC will switch its international transactions from a dollar standard to a euro standard.

Iraq actually made this switch in November 2000 (when the euro was worth around 82 cents), and has actually made off like a bandit considering the dollar's steady depreciation against the euro. (Note: the dollar declined 17 percent against the euro in 2002.)

http://www.thetennesseetribune.com/news/Article/Article.asp?NewsID=24159&sID=34

It would be disastrous for our economy if OPEC switched their standard. We already have massive problems; over 2 billion dollars has to be poured into our economy, every day, by foreign investors in order to maintain our system. That's 80% of the investment going on in the world, and we can hardly expect levels to remain this high given the sad state of our finances; inflation and shaky economies lead to bad investments, so eventually people will begin to take their money out of America and invest it abroad. That's capital flight in action, and it's already beginning.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 02:36 pm
Quote:
Well, consider this: America imported about 290 million barrels of crude oil from Iraq in 2001

Just a question: I thought Iraq and the US didn't do business since the gulf war...seeing how it would be "lining Saddam's pockets".
What was the status of trade between the US and Iraq following the gulf war?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 02:38 pm
Mostly it was accomplished through third-parties who bought Iraqi oil and then re-sold it to American companies.

There's a long history of American companies doing business with our enemies; Haliburton does quite a bit of business with Iran right now as we speak, and that's labelled as an 'axis of evil!'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 05:31 am
Cycloptichorn,

I most certainly do not support it. I'm totally disgusted by it. But my disgust does not stop with Mr. Bush. It extends to all 535 Senators and Representatives who have enabled this spending spree by promising everything to everyone to get elected. And especially it extends to the American people who think they have a "right" to everything they want, just as long as someone else is paying for it.

America is currently spending herself into oblivion at a rate of 100 billion a month. That's the combined Federal and Trade Deficit. One day, not only are our Chinese and Japanese friends going to stop lending us money, they're going to want to be paid back. That day isn't going to be pretty. And we'll have no one but ourselves to blame.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:26 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Mostly it was accomplished through third-parties who bought Iraqi oil and then re-sold it to American companies.

There's a long history of American companies doing business with our enemies; Haliburton does quite a bit of business with Iran right now as we speak, and that's labelled as an 'axis of evil!'

Cycloptichorn

Do you have a link for that? I couldn't find one.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 11:37 am
You should try using google.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,882512,00.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A110-2004Jul20.html

Just the first two I came across.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 11:43 am
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Do you have a link for that? I couldn't find one.

Here's one...
Here's one
Here's one
Here's one
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 12:18 pm
Well, that's all well and good, but where does it say Haliburton had dealings with Iran?

Everything I've read says it's Halliburton Products & Services Ltd., a subsidary that is wholly owned and operated out of Dubai. Technically, no law is being broken, ethically, they shouldn't be doing it, but Iranian money is still money and those poor people in Dubai have to eat too.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 12:47 pm
Oh, come on!

First of all, this whole discussion is getting way off-topic from the financial crisis that we are facing.

Second of all, I never thought I'd see you excusing immoral behavior due to technicalities, McG. It is ridiculous that Americans are profiting off of those who are supposed to be our enemies. I'm honestly surprised.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 01:01 pm
Americans are not profitting. Dubaians (Dubainauts? Dubai's?) are. As are the people working for that company. That how subsidaries work.

That being said, I am not happy about it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 01:06 pm
Dubianauts! I love it!

But back to the original premise; we're getting in on the capital flight ourselves!

Quote:
Capital Flight Accelerates and Moves East

Global multinational corporations, led by U.S. based multinationals, stepped up the export of capital in the first half of 2004. For U.S. based multinationals, as investment has shifted, so have jobs. As domestic employment by U.S. multinationals has declined, foreign employment has increased. And where, as recently as the late 1990s, the United States and Europe were the largest recipient of foreign direct investment, China and India are now the leading recipients.

http://www.laborresearch.org/story.php?id=359

As if it wasn't bad enough when foreign countries started pulling their money out of the US, our own companies are doing it as well...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 01:39 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Americans are not profitting. Dubaians (Dubainauts? Dubai's?) are. As are the people working for that company. That how subsidaries work.

That being said, I am not happy about it.

So, a subsidiary, say, of Haliburton, walks with all the profits?
How's that in Haliburton's interests?
0 Replies