avoidant/borderline personality

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 10:38 am
Hi,

I have never sought treatment, but I do know I suffer at least a mild avoidant personality problem, or disorder if you prefer.

I was shy as a child, was the youngest and smallest child in my class through gradeschool, so did not mature at the same rate as the rest of my peers, which made me feel a little bit "behind" everyone else.

In middle school and high school, my mother exhibited very strong mood swings, and from one day to the next I never knew when I got home from school if she would be in a good mood and nice to me, or in a bad mood and very emotionally/verbally abusive to me. Browsing the bpdcentral.com web site, some of the symptoms they describe, sound a lot like my mother when I was an adolescent. I learned to lock myself in my room and hide, but it didn't do any good because if she was in a mood to abuse someone, she would seek me out, pounding on my door to come out. It seemed like I was the chosen target, and although my father and 3 younger brothers doubtless suffered from being in this atmosphere, I was the oldest child, and only daughter, and I don't know if that is why she singled me out or not. Anyway, the rejection and abuse from my mother has made me very wary of getting close to anyone. I had (and still have) difficulty forming friendships, and I often found myself rejecting offers of friendship (especially from potential boyfriends) just as a knee-jerk reaction of fear, I don't know why. I think I was afraid if I brought any friends over, or if a friend came over unexpectedly, that she would verbally abuse and humiliate me in front of them, and I just wanted to completely avoid a situation like that. I'm not sure. Also, I felt (and still feel) very unlovable, and unattractive, flawed. Very APD symptoms, so that is why I think I have that disorder. I suppose, if your own mother finds you repellent, it is extremely difficult to ever believe anyone else will ever find you *not* repellent...

I left home to go away to college specifically to not have to live at home any more. My parents resisted my going out of state to college, but they were willing to let me go to a college that was about 40 or 50 miles away, so I was still able to move into the dormitories. There was a large university in my hometown, but attending there would have meant living at home with my parents for another 4 to 6 years, and I just could not stand one more year of that misery if I could avoid it.

I have never been in a longterm dating relationship, and I am 36 now. I suffer loneliness and am sad that I have not been able to connect and have a loving, supportive relationship with anyone as yet. I find I am unable to get a date thorugh any means but through the internet, since I feel unsure about approaching anyone, and need reassurance that the person really is interested in me (the internet dating sites make it possible to post my information and photo, thus weeding out anyone who really isn't interested in me, and removing most doubts...). However, I find with the men I have connected with through the internet, that they have tended to be too busy, or very inattentive, and I wonder if I am subconsciously sabotaging myself by somehow choosing men who will be inattentive/emotionally unavailable, thus reinforcing my negative beliefs about myself? Is that typical of APD people?

Are there any specific treatments or guidelines or books out there that would help me deal with this problem and resolve it once and for all? My goal is to get married, and have a *happy* marriage, so I need something geared to both the general social anxiety problems I have, and also materials related specifically to dating/relationships problems.

thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,315 • Replies: 5
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 10:43 am
Ruis - hi, welcome to a2k. We have a very supporting group of members here. But, I thinkthat you'll find that as supportive as we can be, most of us will ask you to seek some sort of counseling. I think your goals are very attainable, but you need to have help in training your mind to think and react differently from how you were raised to think and react.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 10:48 am
Time is too precious for self diagnosis, and at this point, with your mother's history, it would seem imperative that you seek professional help. Your intelligence shines through your letter, and so does your insecurity. You deserve to be happier.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 10:57 am
One of the key statements in your post was the opening sentence, "I have never sought treatment." Unfortunately those with APD oftentimes refuse to seek treatment because they are afraid to open up to a therapist (or anyone else) for fear of being rejected. The very nature of APD tends to make the recovery as daunting as the disorder. As with many types of social phobias the hardest, but best, action is to force yourself to 'do' it, not think it. In this case that would mean forcing yourself to find a counselor that you would be willing to work with that could help you work through your history with your mother.

I know you would prefer a self-help approach and if others here are aware of some self-help materials that would guide you they will steer you in the right direction. I know it would be a very difficult thing for you to do, but I hope you can search out a qualified therapist in your area that can at least help you get started.

Best wishes and (((((hugs))))
0 Replies

5600hp

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 08:28 am
I'm sorry to hear that, I think if you don't like to go to the doctor, you can find/call a doctor to visit your place. I think they(docs) can be find on websites or yellow pages.....I guess...
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 03:33 am
Ruis 2002 - I joined the forum months after you posted this - and I certainly couldn't add anything to the advice you got from the fine folks who responded here. Just wondering - any updates you feel comfortable sharing. I also want you to know I hope you are feeling less lonely...
0 Replies