Will someone help me identify the errors in these sentences?

bassfam

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2018 04:39 pm
In each one of the following sentences, there are 2 total errors from a possible 17:
sentence fragment / run-on sentence
lack of unity / slang
mixed construction / comma splice
faulty parallelism / redundant word
jargon / dangling modifier
misplaced modifier / long lead in
cliché / wordy prepositional phrase
outdated expression or word / exclusive language

In brackets, I will identify the errors which I believe to be true:

1. Having arrived punctually on time for the exam, a written excuse was not needed. (redundant word, comma splice)

2. However, his exam performance didn't cut the mustard, Stan had not studied at all. (outdated word or expression)

3. The reasons were because Stan worked late, hates exams, and is prone to lapses of concentration. (sentence fragment, faulty parallelism)

4. I guess I don't need to tell you that, for Stan, the exam sucked. (I'm completely stuck on this one)

Thanks for any help!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,265 • Replies: 3
No top replies

layman

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2018 04:58 pm
@bassfam,
bassfam wrote:
4. I guess I don't need to tell you that, for Stan, the exam sucked. (I'm completely stuck on this one)

Thanks for any help!
I don't know what's wrong with this one either, but, if you wanted to get technical about it, the exam didn't suck. Sam did.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 02:33 am
@bassfam,
'Sucked', as used here, is considered to be slang in standard English.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 01:08 pm
@bassfam,
Quote:
1. Having arrived punctually on time for the exam, a written excuse was not needed...
o the excuse arrived punctually

Quote:
2. However, his exam performance didn't cut the mustard, Stan had not studied at all
. ... ... mustard. tan... Interesti ng thing about this'n', software Glitch # 55,6579, 043 (j) prevents a capital 's' between a period and a 't'; [according to Apple software, a function of family planning services] whenever your thumb touches the spacebar while you hold your tongue to the right side of your mouth

Quote:
3. The reasons were because Stan worked late, hates exams, and is prone to lapses of concentration....
Boy Bass this'n's a toughie indeed

Quote:
The reason I didn't need to tell ya was 'cause of am 's youthful attitude

The right not the left
...or was that [k]
0 Replies