Tue 25 Jan, 2005 05:29 am
The ten cutest things you saw your kitty do today? Five items you shouldnt forget buying at the Italian deli next time you're there? Your Top Ten of Japanese biker lesbian porn movies? Eight ways to describe a cloud? Five presently fashionable politicians you'll guarantee no biography will be written about? This is your place to post your random list of the day.
6 books I bought in Budapest yesterday:
- Adam Biro: Two Jews on a Train, stories from the old country and the new
- George Paloczi-Horvath: The Undefeated
- Ed. Andras Bozoki: Intellectuals and Politics in Central Europe
- Ed. Thomas Bender & Carl E. Schorske: Budapest & New York, Studies in metropolitan transformation, 1870-1930
- The Hungarian Quarterly, Autumn 2004
- The Hungarian Quarterly, Winter 2004
OK, so the two issues of the HQ aren't properly books, though they're nicely novel-sized. Was subscribed to it for many years, great magazine, cant buy it here alas. The Undefeated is the autobiography of a Hungarian noble who became an active anti-Nazi in the 30s and fled the country in '41 to return after the war as a dedicated communist, only to be arrested, tortured and imprisoned for five years by the Stalinists. Bozoki's book recounts various elements of the idealist, at times elitist brand of "intellectual politics" that came to the fore more or less briefly immediately after the '89 revolution. But the prize book is the Budapest/New York book, which looks like a splendid volume of fascinating information.
By that time my money was more than spent (way more than spent), so I had to put back an amazing photo book on daily life in Kadar-era Hungary, a volume of two Istvan Orkeny novels, the autobiography of an American woman who emigrated to join her love in Ruthenian Uzhgorod and Philip Roth's The Plot Against America ...
today just started.... be back later
5 Reasons I Hate Michigan
1- The snow.
2- The snow plows and salt trucks.
3- The salt they put on the roads to melt the ice and snow.
4- The way the snow and salt makes my car look.
5- The way idiot Michigan drivers drive in the snow.
3 reasons peeing on a big potty with no training seat is scary (4-y-o perspective.)
3- More room for crocodiles to get out
2- Nothing to hang on to
1- I MIGHT FALL IN!!!
3 reasons my cat is gross
1. He has dandruff, lots of it.
2. He sat on my lap this morning with poop stuck in his butt fur.
3. He then licked his own poopy butt.
Well, at least that means he's cleaning himself off...?
(So long as he doesn't lick YOU right after that...)
I had to clean him first, then he cleaned up the rest. He doesn't lick me much, no problems there.
A list of how I spend my time every week. All times are averages.
Work: 65 hours
Sleep: 42 hours
Getting ready in the morning: 7 hours
Travel/driving: 12 hours
Eating: 10 hours
House work: 14 hours
Other: 18 hours
Top ten thoughts my dog had today:
#7. Rub me
#5. Rub me again
#4. Where's the food?
#3. I'll let you rub me while you get the food.
#2. Hey, where's the grub, bub?
#1. Foo---ooo----ood! (rub me)
My Top Ten "Get-Away-For-A-Day" Excuses
10. That Communication Device Isn't Working
9. 102-Degree Fever: Doctor's Orders
8. On Location for Photo Shoot
7. Brainstorming Time Required for Your Project
6. Checking Out Your Competition
5. Sick Child (Note: Never use on childless clients)
4. Deadline for Another Client
3. Holed Up Writing
2. Out-of-Town Consulting
(and my number one excuse...)
1. Power Outage
(I get to pick one of these on Friday...a dear friend is coming to town...YAY!!!!!)
Top 5 Reasons Not To Kill Myself
1. As bad as things are Hell is probably worse.
2. I love my squinney and my cubs
3. Tuesday is reverse cowgirl night
4. It would make McGentrix TOOOOOO happy...
5. 2005...Judas Priest and Motley Crue reunion tours
list of cd's sitting right in front of me
jens lekman - maple leaves ep
ox - dust bowl revival
mission of burma - signals, calls and machines
mission of burma - vs
mission of burma - the horrible truth about burma
mission of burma - a gun to the head
the boomtown rats - best of
firewater - songs we should have written
Top ten reasons it's good HM#2 is away:
1. Quiet, calm house
2. No little crumpled tissues in site
3. No hair in drain
4. No tuneless humming
5. No statements about how cold it is outside
6. No loud cell-phone talking
7. Full newspaper to read every morning
8. No burnt food smell
9. No friends over at midnight
10. Can finally relax a little.
top 5 numbers:
5. Seventeen and a half
Top 5 things I'd rather be doing
5) Sitting in a pleasant cafe, reading the newspaper
4) Sitting in a pleasant cafe, reading the newspaper, with a cup of tea
3) Sitting in a pleasant cafe, reading the newspaper, with a cup of tea and a piece of super decadent chocolate cake
2) Sitting in a pleasant cafe in Berlin (or Paris or Prague or Vienna or Budapest), reading the newspaper, with a cup of tea and a piece of super decadent chocolate cake
1) Driving in a rickety bus eyeing fascinating folks through some eyebaffling landscape across the Tien Shan en route from Kirghizistan to Kashgar and India
Top 5 Things I'd Rather Be Doing Today
2- Reading and finanlly finishing my book
4- Watching a good movie with a ton of junk food
5- Anything but sitting in this office waiting for work to do