DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 09:10 pm
I am continually amazed at folks who try to put together jigsaws without the, for me, obligatory hammer and scissors. Then there are the handymen who can put together the new pc desk without any pieces left over. How do they do that? Is it just me or does everyone break their new flashlight the first time they change the battery? And how is it possible to weedeat along a wire fence without exhausting the supply of string the first four feet? How do you shave with an electric razor? They just glide over my whiskers and I end up using the old Bic. While we're at it, could someone please explain why my five year old grandson can operate every bit of electronic equipment in the house better than I can?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,098 • Replies: 51
No top replies

Rae

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 09:29 pm
roflmao.....edgarblythe! What a hoot!

I've tons of stories to tell.....but, the one that comes to mind is with my Dad and the VCR. The man spent (I swear) four years searching for a VCR that would only PLAY. I told him he was crazy, but he was insistant.

God love him, he found one.....

And after endless phone calls with me, he decided to keep it. His problem was the flashing time! A little bit of black tape solved it..... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 09:33 pm
What a remote. I never heard of such a one. We have a whole basket full of remotes. I rarely know which is which anymore. And I can't figure out why a record player that plays one record at a time even needs a remote.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 09:42 pm
No remote involved, eb ~ that would have only confused matters further for Dad. A VCR that would only 'play'.....that's all he wanted!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 09:46 pm
Oh, I get it. I think my very first one was like that.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 09:53 pm
A#1 Dad lives with my adorable three-year-old niece now ~ who is ever so willing to help Grampy out. I think Dad has given up on simplicity......he just asks Sadie to do it for him and she obliges!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 09:59 pm
I often work my t.v. standing against it, using a brail method to change it. Beats spending fifteen minutes finding a remote that works.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 10:03 pm
You have more patience than my Dad! His motto is 'if I can't make it work, it's going in the garbage'. (Or it gets passed down to his beloved daughters.....)

I have a Sony 'boom-box', of the best quality, that Dad gave to me simply because it bugged him that he couldn't get the time to stop flashing.....Yeah, Dad.....keep buying those expensive electronics!!!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 10:36 pm
Wish I knew somebody like him.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 10:38 pm
Very Happy

Sorry, he's all mine!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 10:51 pm
Just my luck. I'm ready to take and there are no givers. Oh, well ----
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 12:43 am
LOL Rae! Do you think your dad would be willing to adopt me? I could use a few things ;-)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 01:02 am
After the bigger hammer (otherwise known as the finesse option), you might not want them Gez.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 01:35 am
LOL Roger! I'll take my chances ;-)
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 01:22 pm
Microwave ovens are my rectal pain. I can't get 'em to read out the righ time, let alone nuke a hot dog. My daughter, even when a teenager could make a perfect 3 course dinner for 4 in 30 minutes.
The only problem being it was 100% vegetarian.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 01:25 pm
So, it'll do veggies, but not food, John?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 01:36 pm
You got it Roger. Great for hunger strikes, but not for a glutto's orgy.
So 1 sin short if anyone's doin' 7 deadly sins
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 07:42 pm
Next door lady: "My refrigerater leaks inside." I find leaking food containers, remove them.
Next day she says: "It kept on leaking so I bought a new one."
Two days later: "My new refrigerator leaks just like the old one did." I find a plastic milk jug full of water with a steady drip drip at its bottom.
At least I am not the only one who can't master the modern technology.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 05:50 pm
hysterical...love it!
I have some 'blonde' moments but, am always the first one called in family electronic emergencies...its quite amuzing.
The VCR was a good one for me as well...its just easier for me to drive 150 miles to fix it then to explain it over the phone Ive found.
Rae...if your Dads ever looking for kids...Im a spare Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 06:05 pm
It's all a matter of what you put your mind to. I know my computer inside and out, but I have to ask my husband to set up the DVD for me.Never can remember which TV channel to set it on. Besides, it makes him feel important! Laughing
0 Replies