8

What random thing did you overhear today?

nimh

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 11:06 am
If you overheard something today that made you smile, cringe, frown, sigh, go "whoa", roll your eyes, laugh, or decide to tell someone about it, here's a light-hearted thread where you can share it with us!

nimh

3  
Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 11:07 am
Middle-aged American guy at the next table in the pub:

“There's that intellectual side of me that says it's all a bunch of bullshit”

boomerang

1  
Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 01:16 pm
I overheard a crow kidnapping.

There are some robins nested in the laurel hedge just outside my window. I heard the robins making a strange, loud, call and flapping around. I went outside to find them jumping and flailing around on my roof and darting back towards their nest. Just then, a crow came zipping out of the hedge with a baby robin in its beak.

I think I was as alarmed as the robins. I had no idea a crow would do such a thing.

The nest is really quiet now. I think they've all gone away.
Ragman

1  
Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 01:19 pm
@boomerang,
I've seen and known crows to do that. I've also seen blue jays do that...but with the eggs. Owls, of course, are known predators (sadly, even with small dogs and cats).

Robert Gentel

2  
Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 03:25 pm
@nimh,
Overheard people gasping etc at my leg brace at the gym. Guess it looks much worse than it is. I am just wearing it to the gym these days and only in case I fall to protect my operated knee but people act like I'm some cripple that is being super courageous to be in the gym like that.

Oh well, at least I won't have to wear it for long.

nimh

1  
Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 05:53 pm
@boomerang,
It's a cruel world.

And oy, Robert - you make it sound like it's no big deal, of course, but that does sound concerning..

Roberta

3  
Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 06:00 pm
The man next to me on the bus was on the phone with his wife (I think). He had a chopped salad for lunch. So did his two friends. And he'll be home when he's home.

4  
Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 06:09 pm
Not too terribly random - "Is this cilantro? What's the code for cilantro?"

PUNKEY

3  
Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 08:22 pm
Years ago i was at a country western bar and in the ladies room, sitting on the stool when two women came in. One said,"and honey tell them you're divorced, not separated. Men like that. Never tell them you are separated."
For some reason I always thought that to be funny.

ossobuco

2  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 08:15 pm
@Roberta,
I had to look up chopped salad, found it to be a New York thing (although I didn't look at all the responses).