What random thing did you overhear today?

nimh

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 11:06 am
If you overheard something today that made you smile, cringe, frown, sigh, go "whoa", roll your eyes, laugh, or decide to tell someone about it, here's a light-hearted thread where you can share it with us!

nimh

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 11:07 am
Middle-aged American guy at the next table in the pub:

“There's that intellectual side of me that says it's all a bunch of bullshit”
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 01:16 pm
I overheard a crow kidnapping.

There are some robins nested in the laurel hedge just outside my window. I heard the robins making a strange, loud, call and flapping around. I went outside to find them jumping and flailing around on my roof and darting back towards their nest. Just then, a crow came zipping out of the hedge with a baby robin in its beak.

I think I was as alarmed as the robins. I had no idea a crow would do such a thing.

The nest is really quiet now. I think they've all gone away.
Ragman

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 01:19 pm
@boomerang,
I've seen and known crows to do that. I've also seen blue jays do that...but with the eggs. Owls, of course, are known predators (sadly, even with small dogs and cats).
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 03:25 pm
@nimh,
Overheard people gasping etc at my leg brace at the gym. Guess it looks much worse than it is. I am just wearing it to the gym these days and only in case I fall to protect my operated knee but people act like I'm some cripple that is being super courageous to be in the gym like that.

Oh well, at least I won't have to wear it for long.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 05:53 pm
@boomerang,
It's a cruel world.

And oy, Robert - you make it sound like it's no big deal, of course, but that does sound concerning..
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 06:00 pm
The man next to me on the bus was on the phone with his wife (I think). He had a chopped salad for lunch. So did his two friends. And he'll be home when he's home.
jespah

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 06:09 pm
Not too terribly random - "Is this cilantro? What's the code for cilantro?"
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 08:22 pm
Years ago i was at a country western bar and in the ladies room, sitting on the stool when two women came in. One said,"and honey tell them you're divorced, not separated. Men like that. Never tell them you are separated."
For some reason I always thought that to be funny.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 08:15 pm
@Roberta,
I had to look up chopped salad, found it to be a New York thing (although I didn't look at all the responses).
0 Replies

priyuspeterson

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2019 03:11 am
@nimh,
Government is possible for everything bad that happens in the society.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2019 09:01 am
This is a barbeque restaurant, we don't have edamame.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2019 09:21 am
From second hand source, standing at a bank queue.

"I'm going to tell grandma you were kissing daddy's pee-pee."
chai2

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 01:23 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

From second hand source, standing at a bank queue.

"I'm going to tell grandma you were kissing daddy's pee-pee."

Yeah.
I heard that old chestnut from a second hand source around 20 years ago.
That one's been knocking around for decades.

chai2

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 01:37 pm
Anyway, for something that actually happened....

Needs a little backstory.

One of my lunch deliveries today was in a downtown office building the top floor, #26. It's a really nice, kept up to date building. Except for one thing.
To get to the 26th floor, you have to take an elevator to the 25th, then get out, open this door across from the elevators, walk down this strange creepy hallway, and get on another elevator the looks like it should be in Norma Desmonds home. This one only goes between the 25th and 26th. You get off, and there's a couple of totally normal businesses, like engineering and stuff.

So I get on first floor elevator behind this guy and woman who are obviously co workers. She presses 14 and asks me "What floor?" I say "25 thanks.....well....not 25, but 26, but um...."

The guy murmurs almost to himself "Oh my God. The Being John Malkovich floor"

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 09:32 am
I saw my doctor yesterday. He kept telling me how good I looked I thought he was gonna ask if he could blow me.

chai(you can't make this **** up)tea
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 01:52 pm
@chai2,
Really? That was the first time I'd heard it, about 20 years ago.
chai2

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 02:20 pm
@InfraBlue,
So the title of this is about random things you overheard today.

Something You overhead.....today....well maybe yesterday or in the recent past.

So you tell of something you didn't hear....20 years ago.
Which quite frankly, was pretty doubtful as to actually being said that long ago. It's just some made up joke.

Here....it only took googling "saw you kissing daddys pee pee" to come up with this as first pick.....It's been around a long long time....

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/i-saw-mommy/

and

https://www.humorplanet.com/joke.cgi?category=true&joke=8

and

around :57

and

https://books.google.com/books?id=kR97CgAAQBAJ&pg=PA129&lpg=PA129&dq=saw+you+kissing+daddys+pee+pee&source=bl&ots=5l8Bk1APd_&sig=ACfU3U1FcbjRLD-AH3YZy06Ycy70Uulu4g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjiq_2W5OniAhULKawKHdwJBz0Q6AEwBXoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=saw%20you%20kissing%20daddys%20pee%20pee&f=false

and

https://books.google.com/books?id=WJPN33tD4i8C&pg=PA75&lpg=PA75&dq=saw+you+kissing+daddys+pee+pee&source=bl&ots=LgRE3JftcP&sig=ACfU3U1SqSOechCH1qsIw_2s7OF3_DFt5A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjiq_2W5OniAhULKawKHdwJBz0Q6AEwBnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=saw%20you%20kissing%20daddys%20pee%20pee&f=false

and

https://www.someecards.com/usercards/viewcard/MjAxMi1lMmZjZGE3NGZjOGM2ZDRl/?tagSlug=confession

and on and on ad nauseum

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 02:29 pm
@chai2,
So, the legend took off after that first reported overhearing 20 years ago or so. Whoa.
chai2

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 02:39 pm
@InfraBlue,
So infra....did you hear any random interesting things today?