NAIL GUNS--Paslode (The propane fired nail gun)

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:18 pm
Anybody have experience using a Paslode? Whats been yer gripes or praises? Any tips? (I got one fer Christmas and I had a roofer give me all kind of bad news about safety) I can still return it till Feb 10, as I havent used it at all
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 10,403 • Replies: 25
No top replies

panzade

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:20 pm
I use it for trim...never heard it used for roofing.
Never heard safety problems either
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:23 pm
oops...you don't mean the airless one do you?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:30 pm
well, its a propane fired nail gun that I got. It fires 16 gage "finishing" nails. I do cabinet work. The roofer is , what 10 gage?
It operates like a "potato gun". Thats where I think the inventor got the idea. It uses a propane cartridge that fires about 2000 shots before reload(sez here). Its got a sparker thaat fires the propane which shoots the nail from a "bandoliero" like string of nails all glued togeether.
I saw that article about the guy who fired a nail into his head (by accident) and thought he had a toothache. Sumbitch lived.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:33 pm
saw that too...lol I use it when i'm working in a lot of rooms. saves me from dragging the air tank around
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:40 pm
I've used a couple different Paslodes - they're OK - nuthin' special, but real handy where there's no other power available. Kinda pricey to operate. As far as safety goes, hell, you can nail yourself with a regular pnuematic gun - I've managed that a couple times. The steel safety cap of a work boot slows the nail down considerable, but it still hurts. Sorta ruins the boot, too. Prolly the worst part, though, is waitin' for everybody to get over laughin' at ya. Not a lotta sympathy on jobsites.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:42 pm
Oh you use one? how do you like it? feel safe with it?

Hot dam. I like the feel of it and yeh, draggin an air tank around sucks. I have one air compressor and its set for air brush work and I have to keep jacking up the cfms for nailing.
You have the 16 gage?
This roofer guy scared the crap outta me with his horror stories about th "spud gun nailer"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:43 pm
I'm a girl, just use a hammer. On the other hand, I don't do that as a job.
I'm a clumsy sort, hand eye stuff not as good as it was, so my caution is warranted, trust your's isn't. Sounds useful, and time saving.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:47 pm
I nailed an occupied boot to a roof, farmerman - my own boot, my own roof. I don't own a Paslodes - a buddy does. I think they;re OK - like I said, nothin' special, but handy when there's no other power. I've used both the brad driver and the roofin' gun - respect 'em, stay alert, and you won't ruin any boots. I was careless.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:50 pm
But wait, would you use this thing for finish work?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:41 am
ossobuco wrote:
But wait, would you use this thing for finish work?

Who do you want to finish off?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:47 am
im primaariily using it for finish work. Iv got some old special profile hand planes for really neat molding and, aafter workin my ass off making hand cut moldings , I dont want to ruin a cabinet with a bad hammer hit.
Ive even gotten very good at hand cut dovetails, and fairly fast too.
Timber-did you, uh... miss the parts in the boot?
I once stepped on on of thosee triangular putty scrapers as I hopped off a ladder in the house. I was in my socks. To this day, iif you spray a little luminol on the spot you can pick up traces of blood with a UV. That was over 15 years ago
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:51 am
carpentry, carpentry, mister pond. I gather this kind of tool is good for not whacking the wood around the nail.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:57 am
I just drill holes and use cable-ties. If it wasn't for cable ties and Araldite I couldn't fix ANYTHING!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:02 am
whatts araldite? is it another vegemite product?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:03 am
Not the exact choice for fine finish work...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:23 am
ossobuco wrote:
Not the exact choice for fine finish work...

The cable ties come in different colours.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:27 am
She was referring to the Araldite, whatever the hell that is - I think. It it like vegimite, by the way.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 07:05 am
I bought a real neat finish gun last year for delicate work.
It's called a micro-pin nailer and it shoots teensy brads about 3/8" long. The heads are almost invivble in dark wood.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 08:45 am
I have an older version of that, its electric. For fine trim, its ok.

No trim jokes doo hoo. Ahhh he wouldnt be on this thread anyway, hes still shoveling
0 Replies