NAIL GUNS--Paslode (The propane fired nail gun)

timberlandko

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 10:12 am
I've been pretty lucky with my nailgun screwups, farmerman - much more embarrassment and inconvenience than serious injury. I'd like to blame 'em on youthful inexperience, but in my case, that excuse was long, long past its "use by" date. "Operatin' while stupid" is the best I can come up with. Thanks for askin', though.

I s'pose the lighter models of the Paslode would be satisfactory for fine trim work, provided the appropriate fasteners are used. You'd wanna be sure to use a practice piece to set up the drive depth; thats adjustable only by sliding the nose piece up or down. Couple tips - you'll be happier if you pick up an extra battery, so one is in the tool and the other is chargin', and make sure you've got plenty of fuel cannisters and fastener strips on hand, otherwise whatchya got is a doorstop.
Good idea too to make sure the airfilter is in reasonably good shape - its easily cleanable. Be certain also that the tool is suitably lined up and square with the workpiece, and in full, firm contact - you can splinter the wood if not. They jam once in a while, but thats easy to clear. Just make sure to pull the fuel cylinder before unjammin' the puppy. Other than that, I can't think of much else to tell ya. Oh - they don't work very well in temperatures approachin' or below freezin', but you're likely to be usin' it indoors anyhow, so thats not gonna be much of a factor for ya. Good luck.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 06:32 pm
thanks. Im going to keep it based upon all the experiences Ive heard. This one is limited to 16 gage nails , the holder adjusts to lengths by a little spring board.
Good idea about an extra battery otherwise ill keep filling the breach with powder so to speak.The power adjuster on this one is a little dial knob on the side, so maybe that was an earlier design change.

Im going to keep it in a closet in the back entry so its always warm and when Igo out to the shop it takes about 10 minutes to heat up in winter.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 12:26 am
A power dial is neat. Mebbe the bigger ones don't have 'em, or mebbe its somethin' new ... dunno, wasn't aware of that anyhow. Now, if ya wanna get REAL serious about drivin' fasteners, there's always the RAMSET AUTOFAST Mr. Green
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:46 am
Not available in New York or states with gun laws.

Ill wait for the .30 06 model.Ican do some serious nailing
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 03:07 am
These are legal items, aren't they?

And they are like meant for CARPENTRY?

You mob seem to be too... enthusiastic... about your 'guns' and their respective abilities. It could be a guy thing (no man is going to admit that his 'equipment' isn't powerful enough) or it might be that the Dept of Homeland Security might need to be informed. Whatd'yareckon?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:03 am
well, I think it was in OZ that this guy shot himself in the heD WITH HIS nailgun. We in the US have all sorts of IOMD available to us that we dont even bother to take our nailguns out of their sheaths.
Mine is a 16 ,thats plenty for me. AND, Ive not had any complaints from the nailees.
I think any tool that requires bullets to fire, is for carpenters that like to hear a "moneyshot"
0 Replies