Taking the "Script" out of A Prescription

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 06:10 am
Quote:
An estimated 5 percent of doctors now send prescriptions electronically. By some estimates, e-prescribing could become widespread over the next three years and commonplace by the end of the decade.

Instead of writing out prescriptions on a pad, doctors will tap them out on personal digital assistants and send them electronically to a pharmacy. In the process, they could save billions of dollars a year while lessening the chance of patients getting the wrong drug or incorrect dosage.

One Tampa company, Gold Standard Multimedia Inc., is among the those selling e-prescribing software.

E-prescribing is just one part of the push for electronic medical records - the national goal of prodding the health care industry to make full use of the advances in information technology, or, at the very least, catch up with other industries.

http://www.tampatrib.com/MGBO8ASUB4E.html

For a number of years, my former doctor, tapped on a computer while I told him my "tales of woe". He would prescribe medication, which would then be printed out by computer, diminishing the chance that the prescription would be read incorrectly by the pharmacist.

Already, I refill most of my prescriptions by computer. I can get a printout of all that I have bought, the dates, costs, and other relevent information. The next logical step, would be to do away with the paper altogether.

What do you think about this? What do you think are the advantages of using electronic technology in the medical field? What do you think are its downsides?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 729 • Replies: 5
No top replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 06:48 am
Doctor's do tend to have poor hand writing when it comes to filling a script.

My brother in-law had low blood pressure and had to take meds for it. A local pharmacy misread his script and gave him medication for high blood pressure. He assumed the script was correct, he had this script filled many times at this pharmacy, (people should ALWAY'S check, not safe to assume.)
He took it, and had to be air-lifted to Boston, strapped to a table and hung upside down so blood could get to his brain. He almost died. Not to pleasant.

His wife called the pharmacy and told them what happened, and they tried to convince her to bring in the script bottle and give it to them. Can you believe that? She didn't.

I'm surprised pharmacist don't make more mistakes. I've dropped off scripts around 5:00 pm, (a busy time, it seems) and watched them work feverishly to get the orders filled.

I would say e-prescribing is a good idea. I shall be thinking of the cons.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 06:58 am
Quote:
Instead of writing out prescriptions on a pad, doctors will tap them out on personal digital assistants and send them electronically to a pharmacy.

My question: what pharmacy? The one, which has a contract with this doctor or the one, I want?

Besides, here, (nearly) all prescriptions are done per computer.

Ánd I'm sure, at least in 2006 we will have all the main informations on the chip of the 'chip card' we already have - thus e.g. a lot of double (routine) checks (at different doctors) will be avoided.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:12 am
Quote:
More than 75 percent of U.S. pharmacies plan to use its network, according to SureScripts. In Florida, CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, Albertsons and Publix are using the network.

Walter- It sounds like the major chains willl use this service. I would suspect, that if the idea catches on, after awhile, just about all the pharmacies would have to join in, out of necessity.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:22 am
I think that getting rid of paper RX's will help with the abuse of narcotics.
( lemme explain.. hehe )
Many people get addicted to the narcotics they are prescribed. Some have no problem ' recovering ' from the addiction.. meaning.. after the few weeks or month they take them, they just move on.
Some dont. Those some who remain addicted go back to the Dr and complain they are still in pain, On recieving the RX's , they - adjust - them. Sometimes, MANY TIMES i should say, with out the Dr even knowing.
Paper RX's are easy to copy and obtain. They account for over 63% of the drug trade that involves RX meds.
Xanex, Vicodin, Oxycontin, most of those that you buy on the streets have been obtained by a falsified paper RX.
Getting RID of the paper makes it that much harder for people to gain access to these drugs.
Im not saying it is a CURE all.. but it is a step in the right direction .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:21 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
It sounds like the major chains willl use this service.

I see, thanks. (My fault: we only have independent pharmacies here, no chaines at all.)
0 Replies