Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 05:27 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/lzSeR47.jpg
Science alert

The report there has a bit more, without pay-wall.

A study published July 29 in the journal JGR Atmospheres by Hu Yang, a climate researcher at the Alfred Wegener Institute in Germany, explained how that tropical expansion is linked with global warming:
Tropical Expansion Driven by Poleward Advancing Midlatitude Meridional Temperature Gradients
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 11:34 am
@oralloy,
that is one of the stupidest arguments for government policy i've ever heard.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2020 10:25 am
New Study Shows a Vicious Circle of Climate Change Building on Thickening Layers of Warm Ocean Water
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2020 04:35 am
Global temperatures were up by 1.3 degrees Celsius from pre-industrial levels in the 12 months leading up to this September. Meanwhile, Arctic sea ice saw its second-lowest average extent for decades, says a new report.

The Copernicus Climate Change Service, which tracks global temperatures, published statistics that show 2020 is, so far, tying with 2016 for the warmest calendar year. Global temperatures in January, May and September exceeded those in 2016 and tied in April and June.

The report showed that temperatures in Europe were particularly warm, with the cooling La Nina weather event in the eastern Pacific cooling parts of the southern hemisphere.

Arctic sea ice saw its second-lowest September average extent on record, more than 40% below the 1981-2020 average. Temperatures in Siberia were "especially high."

For the 12-month period through to September 2020, the planet was nearly 1.3 degrees Celsius (2.4 degrees Fahrenheit) warmer than pre-industrial levels.

This is close to the 1.5 degree Celsius threshold for severe impacts to the planet detailed in a 2018 UN climate report.

The Paris Agreement, of which many UN nations are signatories, has nations aim to cap global warming "well below" 2 degrees Celsius and at 1.5 degrees if possible.

Copernicus Climate Change Bulletin
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2020 03:08 am
Emissions of Nitrous Oxide, a Climate Super-Pollutant, Are Rising Fast on a Worst-Case Trajectory

Fertilizer is a leading culprit in nitrous oxide emissions, which are nearly 300 times more potent at warming the planet than carbon dioxide and deplete ozone.
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2020 05:30 am
@hightor,
I always hear histrionics about nitrogen/oxygen compounds and ozone depletion from the anti-nuclear weapon creeps.

Nuclear fireballs combine nitrogen and oxygen into several different compounds and then the rising fireballs loft those compounds to the top of the atmosphere so they can munch on the ozone layer.

The way I see it though, nukes are supposed to cause lots of damage. So to me it's more of a feature than a design flaw.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2020 06:47 am
@oralloy,
Nukes have nothing to do with climate change. There have been very few since we've known about c.c., and underground to boot. It's mostly fossil fuel, which we've used in far greater quantity, and the co2 they produce remains in the atmosphere for much longer. another oralloy red herring.
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2020 06:54 am
@MontereyJack,
I never said that they have anything to do with climate change.

You cannot provide examples of a red herring in any of my posts.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2020 06:56 am
@oralloy,
Nonsense.
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2020 06:58 am
@MontereyJack,
Says the person who just failed to provide any examples.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2020 07:10 am
@oralloy,
I see, so your paean of praise for nukes was not only somewhat sociopathic but totally off topic as well. Got it. Pistol grips have been your ultimate red herring for what seems like an eternity, but they're off ths topic as well
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2020 07:22 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
I see, so your paean of praise for nukes was not only somewhat sociopathic but totally off topic as well. Got it.

Ozone depletion is indeed a bit off topic. But threads meander off topic all the time. It's usually harmless, and it can make a thread more interesting.

MontereyJack wrote:
Pistol grips have been your ultimate red herring for what seems like an eternity, but they're off ths topic as well

No red herring. It is perfectly legitimate to oppose your efforts to violate people's civil liberties for no reason.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2020 07:24 am
@oralloy,
Precisely why it's a red herring. Take it to your inane gun thread if you want to promulgate it further.
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2020 07:37 am
@MontereyJack,
Wrong. The fact that it is legitimate to oppose your violations of people's civil liberties means that such opposition is not a red herring.

The best place to oppose your untrue accusations about red herrings is directly in reply to those untrue accusations.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2020 07:38 am
@oralloy,
go to the gun thread or stfu.
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2020 07:43 am
@MontereyJack,
I will protest your false accusations against me wherever you make them.

Although I'd certainly prefer it if you did not make untrue accusations against me to begin with.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2020 08:33 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

But as far as the Alaska thing goes, it's important to Mr. Trump to completely destroy everything that Mr. Obama has ever built
Izzat how you see this country?? Kill off all Dema an destroy all exec orders of Obama??
Good thing Biden can reverse most of this clowns EO's.
farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2020 08:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
my nephew has been doing research re the shrinking and diversion of the gulf stream due to polar ice melting, possibly the present systmatic warming will be inviting severe cooling at the high latitudes. GLOBAL WARMING invites GLOBAL FREEZING
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2020 11:53 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Izzat how you see this country?? Kill off all Dema an destroy all exec orders of Obama??

No one has said anything about killing off anyone. It's progressives who prefer violence against those who disagree with them.

As far as "erasing Mr. Obama's legacy" goes, that's the reason why Mr. Trump became president.

"The way I see the country" has nothing to do with it, other than the fact that I accurately state the truth.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2020 12:13 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
It's progressives who prefer violence against those who disagree with them.
So the Wolverine Watchmen and other militia members are progressives?