Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Glennn

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 03:03 pm
@livinglava,
Also, concerning my doubt, you did not comment on this:

Among the many errors found by McLean were:

Large gaps where there is no data and where instead averages were calculated from next to no information. For two years, the temperatures over land in the Southern Hemisphere were estimated from just one site in Indonesia.

Almost no quality control, with misspelled country names (‘Venezuala” “Hawaai” “Republic of K” (aka South Korea) and sloppy, obviously inaccurate entries.

Adjustments – “I wouldn’t be surprised to find that more than 50 percent of adjustments were incorrect,” says McLean – which artificially cool earlier temperatures and warm later ones, giving an exaggerated impression of the rate of global warming.

Methodology so inconsistent that measurements didn’t even have a reliable policy on variables like Daylight Saving Time.

Sea measurements, supposedly from ships, but mistakenly logged up to 50 miles inland.

A Caribbean island – St Kitts – where the temperature was recorded at 0 degrees C for a whole month, on two occasions (somewhat implausibly for the tropics)

A town in Romania which in September 1953, allegedly experienced a month where the average temperature dropped to minus 46 degrees C (when the typical average for that month is 10 degrees C).

You don't believe that doubt is justified when it comes to the IPCC and what the datasets they accepted show about their credibility?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 03:34 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I've never placed any such trust in denial.

And yet you parrot their lies...
oralloy

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 04:37 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You cannot provide any examples of me parroting lies, or of anything untrue at all in my posts.
snood

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 04:51 pm
@Olivier5,
You cannot point to one example of me using words in my posts.
livinglava

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 04:58 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
I never posted anything about any 'consensus

You are starting from a place of "I am right, and therefore what is wrong with doing something about what I am right about?" Let's see how that pans out.

No, I'm starting from a place of, "100% certainty is impossible, but we should understand the relationship between climate and the biosphere; and the natural biosphere absorbs CO2 and stores it up underground together with energy as fossil fuel, so it makes sense to restore to and adhere to that natural carbon/energy cycle as much as possible."

It isn't that difficult to narrow roads and grow more trees to shade pavement. It isn't that difficult for more people to use transit and have more mixed residential/commercial developments so people don't have to drive. It isn't that difficult to reduce energy use and gradually install more solar panels and wind generators while phasing out fossil fuels and nuclear.

The only thing that's difficult about these reforms is that more sustainable economic activity involves less production and sales, and people don't want to get and spend less money. Otherwise, it's just a question of reducing waste and restoring land to trees and nature within and outside of cities as much as possible.

Quote:
You are being asked to provide the number of scientists who make up the 97% consensus concerning dangerous global warming. Can you cite a source to validate the notion that anthropogenic Co2 is dangerous? For instance, link me to scientific studies that lay out how the predicted dangers are occurring.

Do you understand how CO2 reflects infrared light? Do you understand the relationship between infrared light and heat? It's unclear when you talk about scientific consensus, whether you even understand basic science. You're arguing over something you haven't even bothered to understand how it works.

Quote:
The fact is that none of the dire predictions from climate alarmists throughout the decades have come to pass. Reconcile that.

Vehicle exhaust has gotten cleaner due to emissions controls, but CO2 and H2O (and waste heat) are the waste products of combustion that can't be abated except by reducing fuel consumption. CO2 is invisible but reflects infrared light, and H2O causes mist/fog at night that blankets heat. Ever more land is being cleared of trees and replaced with pavements and buildings that can't absorb CO2 and only absorb sunlight and heat up the air.

Quote:
Also, are you of the opinion that increasing atmospheric CO2 causes catastrophic global warming? Conversely, are you of the opinion that global warming does not precede increases in Co2?

The climate and biosphere are co-determinant. That means that the climate affects how species in the biosphere grow and evolve, and that how species live affects the climate. All the fossil fuels underground are there because carbon and energy were absorbed in the biosphere and allowed to naturally settle over time to become dense oil/coal/gas. To maintain that natural carbon-cycle, we have to allow the land to continue to host trees and other organisms; and we have to ascertain what the natural function of underground fossil fuel is when humans don't dig/pump it up and burn it on the surface. Geological climate has evolved together with the biosphere, so we shouldn't just assume fossil fuels and nuclear fuels are just sitting underground doing nothing waiting for humans to bring them to the surface and use them to drive around and cool/heat buildings.

oralloy

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 05:24 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
You cannot point to one example of me using words in my posts.

I don't know about Olivier, but I can do it. You used words in your post right there.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 06:14 pm
@oralloy,
Ollie is using his 170 I q again?
oralloy

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 06:47 pm
@RABEL222,
My brain is always in use.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 06:53 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
It's unclear when you talk about scientific consensus, whether you even understand basic science. You're arguing over something you haven't even bothered to understand how it works.

What is clear is that you are unable to produce the scientific studies that support the claim that anthropogenic Co2 is dangerous. I'll ask you one more time to cite a source to validate the notion that anthropogenic Co2 is dangerous? For instance, link me to scientific studies that lay out how the predicted dangers are occurring. If you fail to do so this time, I will assume that you have nothing to substantiate your belief.

What is also clear is that despite the IPCC's acceptance of the flaws in the dataset below, you maintain that their credibility remains intact. That's an indefensible proposition.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Large gaps where there is no data and where instead averages were calculated from next to no information. For two years, the temperatures over land in the Southern Hemisphere were estimated from just one site in Indonesia.

Almost no quality control, with misspelled country names (‘Venezuala” “Hawaai” “Republic of K” (aka South Korea) and sloppy, obviously inaccurate entries.

Adjustments – “I wouldn’t be surprised to find that more than 50 percent of adjustments were incorrect,” says McLean – which artificially cool earlier temperatures and warm later ones, giving an exaggerated impression of the rate of global warming.

Methodology so inconsistent that measurements didn’t even have a reliable policy on variables like Daylight Saving Time.

Sea measurements, supposedly from ships, but mistakenly logged up to 50 miles inland.

A Caribbean island – St Kitts – where the temperature was recorded at 0 degrees C for a whole month, on two occasions (somewhat implausibly for the tropics)

A town in Romania which in September 1953, allegedly experienced a month where the average temperature dropped to minus 46 degrees C (when the typical average for that month is 10 degrees C).

______________________________________________________________________________________

Do you really not see the problem there?

Also, are you of the opinion that global warming does not precede increases in Co2?
Olivier5

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 10:40 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

You cannot provide any examples of me parroting lies, or of anything untrue at all in my posts.

Your denial of climate change is based on lies, and only lies. You've been taken for a ride by conmen and you are too stupid to realize it.
oralloy

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 03:23 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Your denial of climate change

Nice try, but I am not denying anything. I merely point out that we don't know whether it is really happening or not.

Misrepresenting my position may be the only move you have left since you are unable to confront the actual facts of the matter, but it is still highly dishonorable.

Olivier5 wrote:
is based on lies, and only lies.

My actual position (which is that we have no idea what the truth is) is based on clear evidence that climate data is unreliable.

Olivier5 wrote:
You've been taken for a ride by conmen

No I haven't.

Olivier5 wrote:
and you are too stupid to realize it.

My IQ is 170. That is considerably smarter than you are.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 08:18 am
@oralloy,
If you were smarter than I, you wouldn't be so easily confused by liars. Look at Glenn, who believe 9/11 was an inside job... You're just as stupid as he is, taking for granted all manners of lies and yet thinking of yourself as smart... Rolling Eyes
oralloy

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 08:41 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
If you were smarter than I, you wouldn't be so easily confused by liars.

You cannot provide a single example of me ever being confused by a liar (or being confused by anything at all, for that matter).

Olivier5 wrote:
Look at Glenn, who believe 9/11 was an inside job... You're just as stupid as he is,

I've not seen him mention his IQ, but my IQ is 170, which is considerably smarter than you are.

Olivier5 wrote:
taking for granted all manners of lies

You cannot provide a single example of me ever taking a lie for granted.

Olivier5 wrote:
and yet thinking of yourself as smart... Rolling Eyes

With my 170 IQ, I would be the smartest person out of a randomly selected population of 10 million people.

If you were in a randomly selected population of just five people, would you be the smartest of the five? I bet not.
Glennn

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 08:47 am
@Olivier5,
You are trying to turn this thread into an insult-fest. Your reason for doing so is because that's what your level of intelligence and maturity allows for.

Oralloy and I have our differences of opinion on a couple of subjects. And we have debated those issues at great length. What we did not do was substitute insults for honest debate, which is what you are doing here.
hightor

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 09:09 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I've not seen him mention his IQ, but my IQ is 170, which is considerably smarter than you are.

Give it a rest. We're all sick of your constantly bringing this up. It's completely unsubstantiated by your performance on this message board which is characterized by juvenile rejoinders of the "I know you are but what am I?" type.

Even if you did happen to score high on an IQ test once that does nothing to validate your judgment, demonstrate any wisdom, or reveal creativity. Intelligence is too complicated to be measured with one test-derived number. In the real world, accomplishment is a more effective way of gauging a person's general level of intelligence. Your output here is not significantly better than anyone else's and other people exhibit greater talent, more flexibility, and a greater breadth of knowledge.

If your posts actually revealed any great intelligence you wouldn't need to keep telling yourself this and reminding us of it — it would be obvious.

oralloy

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 09:33 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Give it a rest.

Request denied. I will continue to defend myself from your untrue accusations.

hightor wrote:
We're all sick of your constantly bringing this up.

You cannot provide a single example of me ever bringing it up.

What you are sick of is me setting the record straight after you and your leftist compatriots bring it up and mischaracterize me.

Well, too bad for you. Whenever you guys mischaracterize me, I will set the record straight.

If you guys really didn't want the subject to be brought up, you could always just not bring it up yourselves, since you guys are the only ones who actually bring it up.

But that would leave you with nothing to say, since the reason why you mischaracterize me in the first place is because you are not capable of using facts or logic to defend your position.

hightor wrote:
It's completely unsubstantiated by your performance on this message board

Wrong again. I have a strong track record of accuracy here. That's one of the reasons why you are unable to provide any examples of me being wrong about anything.

hightor wrote:
Even if you did happen to score high on an IQ test once that does nothing to validate your judgment, demonstrate any wisdom, or reveal creativity. Intelligence is too complicated to be measured with one test-derived number. In the real world, accomplishment is a more effective way of gauging a person's general level of intelligence.

It's interesting the sour grapes arguments that people without a high IQ always use to make themselves feel better.

hightor wrote:
Your output here is not significantly better than anyone else's

Wrong again. There are a number of leftists here who produce posts of considerably lower quality than what I provide.

hightor wrote:
other people exhibit greater talent, more flexibility, and a greater breadth of knowledge.

Wrong again. My record on any of those measures will stand up to anyone else's record.

hightor wrote:
If your posts actually revealed any great intelligence you wouldn't need to keep telling yourself this and reminding us of it -- it would be obvious.

It is in fact obvious. That you refuse to acknowledge it says much more about you than it does about me.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 09:47 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Look at Glenn, who believe 9/11 was an inside job... You're just as stupid as he is

That's a quote from someone who believes that insults equal a point. You have a problem with oralloy because he likes to point out to the belligerent souls on this thread that they're not as intelligent as he is. What you're really saying is that you'd appreciate it if he would just ignore the insults that you apparently approve of. That kind of puts you in the same boat as those belligerent souls.
hightor

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 10:48 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
That's a quote from someone who believes that insults equal a point.

I can differentiate between a debate point and an insult, thank you.

Quote:
You have a problem with oralloy because he likes to point out to the belligerent souls on this thread that they're not as intelligent as he is.

No, I don't have a "problem" with a character on a message board. After all, I come here voluntarily. oralloy apparently has a problem, however, because he repeatedly feels the need to brag about his unsubstantiated score on an intelligence test in order to make up for the paucity of his reasoning and argumentation.

Quote:
What you're really saying is that you'd appreciate it if he would just ignore the insults that you apparently approve of.

Don't tell me what I'm "really saying"; that's pompous. I don't care whether he ignores anyone's insults. I'm just pointing out that claiming "I'm really smart" is a childish way to conduct oneself in a contentious discussion.

Quote:
That kind of puts you in the same boat as those belligerent souls.

No, that doesn't "kind of" put me anywhere. I'm not commenting on anyone's "belligerence", I'm criticizing oralloy's childishness. But one of these days he'll come to his senses and offer a meaningful response instead of bringing up his alleged genius status. He'll summon up his courage and forcefully respond, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me."
hightor

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 10:57 am
Quote:
An Iowa chemistry teacher was placed on administrative leave after saying on Facebook that he would not attend a rally featuring the climate activist Greta Thunberg because he didn’t “have my sniper rifle,” according to school officials and reports.

nyt
oralloy

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 11:05 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
oralloy apparently has a problem, however, because he repeatedly feels the need to brag about his unsubstantiated score on an intelligence test in order to make up for the paucity of his reasoning and argumentation.

Setting the record straight after you and your leftist compatriots mischaracterize me is hardly bragging.

You cannot provide any examples of any flaws in my reasoning or my arguments.

You cannot provide any examples of a case where I talked about my superior intelligence as a way to shore up my arguments.

hightor wrote:
I'm just pointing out that claiming "I'm really smart" is a childish way to conduct oneself in a contentious discussion.

It's a perfectly reasonable response when you and your leftist compatriots mischaracterize my intelligence.

hightor wrote:
I'm not commenting on anyone's "belligerence", I'm criticizing oralloy's childishness.

Setting the record straight when you and your leftist compatriots mischaracterize me is hardly childish.

If anyone here is childish, it is you and your leftist compatriots for mischaracterizing the intelligence of anyone who does not share your demented ideology.

hightor wrote:
But one of these days he'll come to his senses and offer a meaningful response instead of bringing up his alleged genius status. He'll summon up his courage and forcefully respond, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me."

There is no meaningful discussion to be had when you leftists contaminate a conversation with your mischaracterizations and personal attacks. But I think it is fair for me to set the record straight.
0 Replies