Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

parados

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 05:00 pm
okie wrote:
parados wrote:

The net effect HAS been constant for centuries until humans started adding CO2.

Back to this point. According to who, Parados?

http://www.biokurs.de/treibhaus/180CO2_supp.htm

http://www.biokurs.de/treibhaus/CO2-Dateien/CO2_proj650.gif

Are you sure you want to use a site that lists historical papers and measurements that have since been shown to be wrong as your source for what you think CO2 has been the last few centuries?

I don't know about you okie, but I wouldn't use a paper from 1958 as my source since Mauna Loa measurements had not yet been nor had the present ice cores been done.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 05:04 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Parados, that alleged 5% was alleged to be 5% per year. Over the 30 year period 1975 to 2005, that would amount to 30 x 5% =150%.

Quote:

http://co2.cms.udel.edu/Increasing_Atmospheric_CO2.htm
Emissions of Carbon from Human Activities
Using a combination of modern and historic data, scientists estimate that humans have sent a total of 305 billion metric tons of carbon into the atmosphere since 1751; half of these emissions have occurred since the mid-1970s.
…
About half of the recent emissions are not accumulating in the atmosphere, but are going into the ocean and, to a lesser extent, into soils. These are considered "sinks" in the global carbon budget because they take up atmospheric CO2.

So half of that alleged 150% = 75% ended up in/on the surface of the earth. The other half, 75%, ended up in the atmosphere:
Per year, that's = 75%/30 = 2.5% per year which ended up in the atmosphere. But the actual average global temperature increase over 1975 to 2005 was less than 0.222%.

And what is your point other than you don't know what the **** you are talking about.

Comparing the 2.5% increase on CO2 to the .222% increase in temperature only makes sense if you somehow think that CO2 causes the entire temperature on the earth. If the CO2 in the atmosphere went to zero would the temperature of the earth drop to absolute zero?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 06:37 pm
You have to laugh.

Mr Cameron, the Leader of HM's Opposition, was sighted today denigrating slower growth and he is a Green campaigner, he cycles to Parliament when there are news helicopters following his every move, and everybody knows that the bigger the growth, year on year, the deeper the footprint.

I'm going to have have to start carrying a towel around with me.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 06:46 am
ican711nm wrote:
Parados, that alleged 5% was alleged to be 5% per year. Over the 30 year period 1975 to 2005, that would amount to 30 x 5% =150%.
would someone like to explain some simple arithmetic to ican.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 02:03 pm
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/PN081507.jpg
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 02:07 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:

I'm not getting near him, little knowledge is dangerous...
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 02:28 pm
Nothing like a cartoon to show the plethora of science on the side of the warming deniers.

But then the word "cartoon" could be used to describe much of their "scientific" arguments as well.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 02:32 pm
The planet heats up, cools off, heats up, cools off, heats up and cools off with or
without human activity and this cycle will continue when human activities cease Exclamation
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 02:36 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
The planet heats up, cools off, heats up, cools off, heats up and cools off with or
without human activity and this cycle will continue when human activities cease Exclamation

My house heats up and cools off, heats up and cools off but that doesn't mean I can't make it heat up more than the outside temperature does.

Yes, there is natural heating and cooling but the existence of natural heating and cooling doesn't prove that man contributes nothing to the process.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 02:37 pm
parados wrote:
Are you sure you want to use a site that lists historical papers and measurements that have since been shown to be wrong as your source for what you think CO2 has been the last few centuries?

I don't know about you okie, but I wouldn't use a paper from 1958 as my source since Mauna Loa measurements had not yet been nor had the present ice cores been done.

I'm not bragging on the data, but I wouldn't brag on ice cores either, parados. If its all we have, its all we have. By the way, you dodged the CO2 emissions by plants. Which is it, they absorb more or the same or less, and what are you including, living plants or the entire plant cycle? You can't have it both ways, and I think you have tried.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 02:43 pm
parados wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

...the existence of natural heating and cooling doesn't prove that man contributes nothing to the process.

My point is that whatever man contributes to the process is truly insignificant.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 03:01 pm
http://www.amnh.org/programs/images/calendar/13430Array0.jpg

Quote:
Planets, moons, asteroids, and comets contain natural resources such as water, minerals, and trace elements that may have survival value to visiting astronauts and economic value to life on Earth. How did we learn of these materials? How would one go about mining them?

http://www.amnh.org/programs/programs.php?event_type_id=3&bytype=1

H2O - your statement is equivalent to saying that the burden of proof for anthropogenic global warming (AGW) rests with those who advocate it.

Given the demonstrated impossibility of explaining this to Parados, most of us here gave up long ago, so I'm posting to
a) welcome you to the thread, and,
b) drive Parados and Co. into paroxysms of despair by mentioning that if we exhaust fossil fuels on earth we plan to start mining on other planets <G>
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 03:01 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
ican711nm wrote:

Laughing
http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/nowarm.htm
Quote:
... the IPCC wrote that some 90 billion tons of carbon as carbon dioxide annually circulate between the earth's ocean and the atmosphere, and another 60 billion tons exchange between the vegetation and the atmosphere.
... man-made sources' emission of about 5 to 6 billion tons per year, the natural sources would then account for more than 95 percent of all atmospheric carbon dioxide
At 6 billion tons, humans are then responsible for a comparatively small amount - less than 5 percent - of atmospheric carbon dioxide ...

Simple not compound annual interest is implied. So over the 30 years 1975 to 2005, that amounts to 150%.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 03:08 pm
High Seas wrote:

the burden of proof for anthropogenic global warming (AGW) rests with those who advocate it.

Amen:
the burden of proof for anthropogenic global warming (AGW) rests with those who advocate it.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 03:09 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Simple not compound annual interest is implied. So over the 30 years 1975 to 2005, that amounts to 150%.
surprised you know the difference...well done.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 03:51 pm
For the 30 year period, 1975 to 2005
%increase in average global temperature = 0.2217%.
%increase of CO2ppm in atmosphere = 14.5%.
%increase in metric tons of CO2 retained in the atmosphere = 100%.[/size]

What is the science validated formula for computing how much of an average global temperature increase will will result from a given CO2 ppm increase in the atmosphere Question

What is the science validated formula for computing how much of an average global temperature increase will will result from a given CO2 ppm increase in the atmosphere Question
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 03:57 pm
okie wrote:
parados wrote:

I'm not bragging on the data, but I wouldn't brag on ice cores either, parados. If its all we have, its all we have. By the way, you dodged the CO2 emissions by plants. Which is it, they absorb more or the same or less, and what are you including, living plants or the entire plant cycle? You can't have it both ways, and I think you have tried.

When did I claim it wasn't the entire cycle that created a zero sum?

I hardly dodged it. I ignored it because you have nothing to base your wild accusation on. By changing the type of plants or increasing the amount of biomass you can change the cycle but the natural cycle has been pretty much a zero sum game for centuries.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 04:05 pm
parados wrote:

I hardly dodged it. I ignored it because you have nothing to base your wild accusation on. By changing the type of plants or increasing the amount of biomass you can change the cycle but the natural cycle has been pretty much a zero sum game for centuries.

"Wild accusation?" Earth to Parados, I am only asking you a question and pointing out an inconsistency: You claim the natural cycle is pretty much a zero sum game, but in the next breath you claim it would really matter to plant trees or certain kinds of plants, I guess it has to be certain kinds of trees or plants, and it only works while they are alive for however long they live? I guess you want to pretend some plants don't die and rot?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 04:06 pm
parados wrote:
okie wrote:
parados wrote:

So given this bit of scientific information re this zero sum game, why does the IPCC recommend carbon credits be extended to those countries with large amounts of vegetation? Would you say that this policy recommendation is based on faulty science?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 04:07 pm
For the 30 year period, 1975 to 2005
%increase in average global temperature = 0.2217%.
%increase of CO2ppm in atmosphere = 14.5%.
%increase in metric tons of CO2 retained in the atmosphere = 100%.[/size]

What is the science validated formula for computing how much of an average global temperature increase will will result from a given CO2 metric ton increase in the atmosphere Question
0 Replies