Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

miniTAX

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 04:37 pm
parados wrote:
To presume that the "soil" absorbs CO2 in a quantity equal to 2/3 of what humans release would be looney.
To presume that the current science knows what happens to CO2 is looney. To show you the sheer ignorance or the choice of some people to ignore the science which doesn't suit their agenda, I can give the example of Phytoliths (litteraly plant stones). Phytoliths are found in all the grass plant family including sugar cane and are stable for up to at least 30,000 years, can withstand high temperatures such as fires and account for most of the carbon accumulation in soils. See for example this research paper :
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/esm/palaeo/Parr&Sullivan.pdf
So a grass land may lock up huge amounts of CO2, even more than a mature forest (which stores CO2 through biomass increase, contrary to your claim).
Another way to reduce CO2 is terra pretta which not only stores CO2 for thousands years but improves soil's fertility.

But hot air merchants like the IPCC or Gore aren't interested that such solutions exist because it would ruin their fear business. What they are interested in is to keep people as ignorant as possible so they can sell their simplistic, costly and useless snake oil.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 06:43 pm
Interesting miniTax but in case you didn't notice Phytoliths make up less than 1% of the carbon in the soil from the last 200 years.

Forests have a better short term CO2 sequestration. Read the last paragraph of the article you linked.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 07:58 pm
Parados, if I interpret you correctly, you claimed Foxfyre was full of it in claiming that plants absorbed more CO2 than given off, but your explanation seems to indicate you are including dead rotting plants in the soil, is that correct? So Foxfyre is correct. Further, Foxfyre is then also correct in saying that earning carbon credits by planting trees is also a hoax because if you include the entire cycle of plants living and dying, then rotting, there is little or no benefit then?

Anyway, all of this is humorous at the least, and a total fiasco at worst. Picture Al Gore jetsetting around the world, then when he gets home, he plants a bunch of trees, all is fine, his conscience is clear just as long as when the trees die that he makes sure he hauls them to the dump where he no longer owns the trees so the dump is credited with the co2 emissions, not Al.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 08:10 pm
miniTAX wrote:
okie wrote:
What is your opinion of historical CO2 measurements, in terms of just how far back can we safely go with it?
With icecores, you get one point of measurement for CO2 or temperature every century or millenium thousands years ago. So suppose if there were a 30% increase in the distant past similar to the past 50 years, nobody would see it since it is filtered out : CO2 is supposed to be sealed in ice's bubbles but it is a pure speculation, CO2, like any other gases migrates, is disolved by water, reacts with dusts or other aerosols...
Worse, CO2 in icecores is supposed to reflect direct measurements which exist only since the 50's. But it is not! People who speculate it SUPPOSE that there is a 30 to 50 (or 100, 200...) year lag beetwen the icecore age and CO2 age but this lag is just a fudge factor to mix apples (CO2 by icecores) to orange (CO2 by direct modern instruments) : see columns 4 and 5 of the Law Dome icecore data for example : http://cdiac.ornl.gov/ftp/trends/co2/lawdome.combined.dat .

And the AGW people use that crap to say the CO2 level is "unprecedented" whereas in fact, all that can be said is CO2 is unprecedented... since the 1950's. But hey, that's climate science !

I agree, this whole business of measuring air bubbles in ice that have been sitting there for hundreds of years as a way of measuring accurately atmospheric co2 hundreds of years ago and longer, strikes me as highly tenuous and questionable at best. And how do they come up with the 30 to 50 year lag time between ice core age and air age? Thats a new one to me.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 09:10 pm
According to the links I previously posted:

CO2 ATMOSPHERIC TONS
1. The total number of billions of metric tons of CO2 humans entered into the earth's atmosphere up to 2005 = 305
2. The total number of these metric tons retained in the earth's atmosphere = 152.5
3. The number of these metric tons retained in the earth's atmosphere prior to 1975 = 76.25
4. The number of these metric tons retained in the earth's atmosphere 1975 to 2005 = 76.25
5. Percentage more than was retained prior to 1975 that was retained 1975 to 2005 =
100% .

CO2 PARTS PER MILLION
C1 = CO2 density 1975 = 331ppm.
C2 = CO2 density 2005 = 379ppm.
Ci = C2 - C1 = 379ppm - 331ppm = 48ppm.
Ci% = %increase of CO2ppm in atmosphere 1975 TO 2005 = 100% x Ci / C1 = 100% x 48ppm / 331ppm =
14.5%.

GLOBAL TEMPERATURE INCREASE
Ta = global temperature average 1901 to 2000 = 287.06°K.
Tan1 = global temperature anomaly 1975 = - 0.0319°K.
Tan2 = global temperature anomaly 2005 = + 0.6046°K.
T1 = Ta + Tan1 = 287.06°K - 0.0319°K = 287.0281°K.
T2 = Ta + Tan2 = 287.06°K + 0.6046°K = 287.6646°K.
Ti = T2 - T1 = 287.6646°K - 287.0281°K = 0.6365°K
Ti% = %increase 1975 to 2005 in the average global temperature = 100% x Ti / Ta = 100% x 0.6365°K / 287.06°K =
0.2217%.

GO FIGURE! Shocked
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:51 am
Some interesting articles:
http://www.onenewsnow.com/Politics/Default.aspx?id=68277
This quote from the above:
"Solar scientists are worried about the lows," he says. "They're calling it the 'disturbingly quiet solar cycle.' And we're faced with again just a lack of years ... of temperatures just sort of 'plateau-ing out' to the point where the head of the U.N. IPCC [Inter-Governmental Panel on Climate Change] has recently called for an investigation as to why temperatures were not continuing to rise as predicted."

I would like to call attention to the term, "plateau-ing out," to Parados. We've had a discussion of that term, right Parados?

So the head of the IPCC is calling for an investigation? Has a crime occurred here? Is mother earth not cooperating with them? Laughing

Then this article has it pretty much explained correctly:

http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/other/whatiswrongwiththeipcc.html

"AGW proponents often claim that there is a consensus among scientists about man-made global warming. However, this is contradicted by the facts. A recent opinion poll among 133 German climatologists, by Hans Kepplinger und Senja Post, revealed that 37% of climate researchers adhere tot the AGW hypothesis, whereas 36% remain sceptical. The rest occupies an intermediate position. It is likely that in other countries the outcome would not have been substantially different. By no stretch of imagination this can be construed as a pro AGW con¬sensus."

And more interesting reading:
http://errortheory.blogspot.com/2005/01/greenhouse-alarmists-fight-new-sunspot.html
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 03:54 am
I agree there is no consensus re climate change. A guy in a bar last night was explaining in vociferous detail just why the IPCC report is a crock of ****. And how the vehicle excise duty was a crime. And the effect of depleted uranium on carbon dating Iraqi artefacts and the puzzle over the true origins of mankind if Cain slew Able. But then he is a truck driver.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 06:50 am
okie wrote:
Parados, if I interpret you correctly, you claimed Foxfyre was full of it in claiming that plants absorbed more CO2 than given off, but your explanation seems to indicate you are including dead rotting plants in the soil, is that correct?
Did you not read my original statement? The net effect of vegetation over the last several hundred years had been a zero sum.
Quote:

So Foxfyre is correct.
No, Foxfyre is NOT correct because vegetation does NOT remove all the human caused CO2 from the atmosphere. In fact it removes little of it since most of it is retained. Check ican's latest post where he finally admits that half of human caused CO2 is still in the atmosphere.
Quote:
Further, Foxfyre is then also correct in saying that earning carbon credits by planting trees is also a hoax because if you include the entire cycle of plants living and dying, then rotting, there is little or no benefit then?
No, again. Check the article by miniTax. Changing the vegetation can change the short term or long term sequestration. Planting trees increases the amount of CO2 sequestered short term because trees are not annuals.
Quote:

Anyway, all of this is humorous at the least, and a total fiasco at worst. Picture Al Gore jetsetting around the world, then when he gets home, he plants a bunch of trees, all is fine, his conscience is clear just as long as when the trees die that he makes sure he hauls them to the dump where he no longer owns the trees so the dump is credited with the co2 emissions, not Al.

Planting a couple of trees may reduce my carbon foot print but in the overall scheme of things my carbon use is minor compared to the world. But every little bit does help.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 07:06 am
ican711nm wrote:

CO2 ATMOSPHERIC TONS
1. The total number of billions of metric tons of CO2 humans entered into the earth's atmosphere up to 2005 = 305
2. The total number of these metric tons retained in the earth's atmosphere = 152.5

It seems you can't agree with yourself.

What % of the total increase did you just now claim was the result of humans? It certainly isn't the 5% you have been using in your "math."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 07:11 am
okie wrote:
This quote from the above:
"Solar scientists are worried about the lows," he says. "They're calling it the 'disturbingly quiet solar cycle.' And we're faced with again just a lack of years ... of temperatures just sort of 'plateau-ing out' to the point where the head of the U.N. IPCC [Inter-Governmental Panel on Climate Change] has recently called for an investigation as to why temperatures were not continuing to rise as predicted."

So the head of the IPCC is calling for an investigation? Has a crime occurred here? Is mother earth not cooperating with them? Laughing

Your quoted article reports this as direct spech by Marc Morano. (Marc Morano is communications director for the Republicans on the U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works.)
You may ask him.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 07:34 am
parados wrote:
okie wrote:
Parados, if I interpret you correctly, you claimed Foxfyre was full of it in claiming that plants absorbed more CO2 than given off, but your explanation seems to indicate you are including dead rotting plants in the soil, is that correct?
Did you not read my original statement? The net effect of vegetation over the last several hundred years had been a zero sum.
Quote:

So Foxfyre is correct.
No, Foxfyre is NOT correct because vegetation does NOT remove all the human caused CO2 from the atmosphere. In fact it removes little of it since most of it is retained. Check ican's latest post where he finally admits that half of human caused CO2 is still in the atmosphere.

Again your selective reading prompts you to incorrectly state both the situation and what I said Paradox. For the second time I did NOT say that vegetation moves all the human caused CO2 from the atmosphere. You implied that 1/3rd of human generated CO2 goes into ocean carbon sinks and the remainder remains the atmosphere. You ignored the fact that plants and the soils absorb CO2 so you can't conclude that 2/3rds of human generated CO2 remains in the atmosphere. As MiniTax pointed out, none of us KNOW how much human generated CO2 remains in the atmosphere, but to assume that plants and the soil are not removing some of it is ludicrous. Nor do you have ANY basis on which to say that plants are removing 'very little'. I was not talking about plants that have decomposed and are no longer plants, and you know it.

Quote:
Quote:
Further, Foxfyre is then also correct in saying that earning carbon credits by planting trees is also a hoax because if you include the entire cycle of plants living and dying, then rotting, there is little or no benefit then?
No, again. Check the article by miniTax. Changing the vegetation can change the short term or long term sequestration. Planting trees increases the amount of CO2 sequestered short term because trees are not annuals.

So in one breath you say that the trees do not affect the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, and in the second you admit that they do?

Quote:
Quote:

Planting a couple of trees may reduce my carbon foot print but in the overall scheme of things my carbon use is minor compared to the world. But every little bit does help.

The fact remains, which you have also ignored, that the environmental gurus are allowing carbon credits, i.e. lower emission standards for countries with high amounts of vegetation, trees and otherwise, because those gurus know such vegetation reduces the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. Now this is either a valid policy based on solid science, or it is another smoke and mirrors tactic based on bad science used by the environmental gurus to force regulations and mandates on the rest of us. I wonder which it is? From your argument, we can conclude they are using very bad science? Then maybe other science they are using is similarly flawed?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 07:44 am
Foxfyre wrote:
The fact remains, which you have also ignored, that the environmental gurus are allowing carbon credits, i.e. lower emission standards for countries with high amounts of vegetation, trees and otherwise, because those gurus know such vegetation reduces the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

To what 'gurus' are you referring here?

Oh, you may think that parados writes paradoxically, but is that really a reason to foozle his screenname?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 07:47 am
The recommendations coming from Kyoto and more recently are that countries with high levels of vegetation be subject to less rigid standards for CO2 emissions because their vegetation removes a lot of CO2. Now that is either good science or bad science. Parados suggests it is bad science. So I wonder if the other science they are basing their assumptions on is equally bad? How can we know?

Acknowledging censure from the typo police.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 09:01 am
No Fox, you didn't say vegetation moved it all and you didn't say soil moved it all. This is what you said.
Quote:

There is probably some in the atmosphere, but I imagine most of the rest has been absorbed by plants, into the soil etc. To presume that any not absorbed into the ocean is loose in the atmosphere is rather tunnel visioned I think.

I didn't ignore the fact that plants and CO2 take up "some" CO2..
Read your statement again.

"most of the rest" has meaning. It would mean "most" not "some."

"To presume that any not absorbed into the ocean is loose in the atmosphere" certainly implies that there would be none left in the atmosphere.

If you want to run away from your statement Fox. OK. But don't try to pretend you didn't write it.

You have admitted that soil won't take the majority and plants won't take the majority. That leaves us with your statement hanging out there and no evidence of plants and soil taking up most of the rest of human caused CO2.

Maybe I should have realized the most important words in your statement were - "I imagine" because you certainly aren't providing anything other than your imagination to back up your statement.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 09:13 am
Lets get one point settled, Parados, do plants absorb more CO2 or about the same as they give off? You seem to want it both ways. Actually, take the question in two parts. Living plants absorb more CO2 than they emit, according to your understanding? Then include the entire plant cycle, living, dying, and rotting, do they absorb more, or do they absorb about the same as is given off, or less?
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 09:20 am
parados wrote:
Interesting miniTax but in case you didn't notice Phytoliths make up less than 1% of the carbon in the soil from the last 200 years.

Forests have a better short term CO2 sequestration. Read the last paragraph of the article you linked.
The soil stock of carbon is 20x to 40x the carbon in the atmosphere. So 1% of this stock would represent more carbon than the 30% increase in atmospheric CO2 concentration supposedly manmade over the past 200 years.
You are divining conclusions from noise, Parados.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:12 pm
parados wrote:
ican711nm wrote:

CO2 ATMOSPHERIC TONS

It seems you can't agree with yourself.

What % of the total increase did you just now claim was the result of humans? It certainly isn't the 5% you have been using in your "math."

Quote:

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/nowarm.htm
He [Essenhigh] cites a 1995 report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), a panel formed by the World Meteorological Organization and the United Nations Environment Programme in 1988 to assess the risk of human-induced climate change. In the report, the IPCC wrote that some 90 billion tons of carbon as carbon dioxide annually circulate between the earth's ocean and the atmosphere, and another 60 billion tons exchange between the vegetation and the atmosphere.
Compared to man-made sources' emission of about 5 to 6 billion tons per year, the natural sources would then account for more than 95 percent of all atmospheric carbon dioxide, Essenhigh said.

Quote:

ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/anomalies/annual.land_and_ocean.90S.90N.df_1901-2000mean.dat
1975 thru 2005 Yearly Mean Measurements Atmospheric CO2
1975 -0.0319
1976 -0.1107
1977 0.1282
1978 0.0503
1979 0.1406
1980 0.1887
1981 0.2293
1982 0.1133
1983 0.2716
1984 0.0798
1985 0.0625
1986 0.1496
1987 0.2870
1988 0.2888
1989 0.2087
1990 0.3700
1991 0.3241
1992 0.1894
1993 0.2227
1994 0.2815
1995 0.3981
1996 0.2586
1997 0.4615
1998 0.5764
1999 0.3947
2000 0.3630
2001 0.4934
2002 0.5573
2003 0.5565
2004 0.5337
2005 +0.6046
1975 -0.0319
2005 +0.6046
Difference = 0.6365°K

Quote:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/2007/ann/global.html
The 1901-2000 average combined land and ocean annual temperature is 13.9°C (56.9°F), the annually averaged land temperature for the same period is 8.5°C (47.3°F), and the long-term annually averaged sea surface temperature is 16.1°C (60.9°F). [Temperature in degees Kelvin = 13.9 + 273.16 = 287.06°K]

Quote:

http://co2.cms.udel.edu/Increasing_Atmospheric_CO2.htm
Emissions of Carbon from Human Activities
Several human activities release CO2 into the atmosphere (called anthropogenic, human-origin, emissions). Fossil-fuel burning is the predominant anthropogenic source of CO2, but cement production and other activities also contribute (including the "land-use" activity of deforestation). Using a combination of modern and historic data, scientists estimate that humans have sent a total of 305 billion metric tons of carbon into the atmosphere since 1751; half of these emissions have occurred since the mid-1970s.
…
About half of the recent emissions are not accumulating in the atmosphere, but are going into the ocean and, to a lesser extent, into soils. These are considered "sinks" in the global carbon budget because they take up atmospheric CO2. The chemistry of the ocean changes as a result of increased CO2 concentrations; this subject is further examined in the section on "Ocean Acidification".

CO2 ATMOSPHERIC TONS
3. The number of these metric tons retained in the earth's atmosphere prior to 1975 = 76.25
4. The number of these metric tons retained in the earth's atmosphere 1975 to 2005 = 76.25
5. Percentage more than was retained prior to 1975 that was retained 1975 to 2005 =
100% .

CO2 PARTS PER MILLION
C1 = CO2 density 1975 = 331ppm.
C2 = CO2 density 2005 = 379ppm.
Ci = C2 - C1 = 379ppm - 331ppm = 48ppm.
Ci% = %increase of CO2ppm in atmosphere 1975 TO 2005 = 100% x Ci / C1 = 100% x 48ppm / 331ppm =
14.5%.

GLOBAL TEMPERATURE INCREASE
Ta = global temperature average 1901 to 2000 = 287.06°K.
Tan1 = global temperature anomaly 1975 = - 0.0319°K.
Tan2 = global temperature anomaly 2005 = + 0.6046°K.
T1 = Ta + Tan1 = 287.06°K - 0.0319°K = 287.0281°K.
T2 = Ta + Tan2 = 287.06°K + 0.6046°K = 287.6646°K.
Ti = T2 - T1 = 287.6646°K - 287.0281°K = 0.6365°K
Ti% = %increase 1975 to 2005 in the average global temperature = 100% x Ti / Ta = 100% x 0.6365°K / 287.06°K =
0.2217%.

GO FIGURE! Shocked[/quote]
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:19 pm
parados wrote:

The net effect HAS been constant for centuries until humans started adding CO2.

Back to this point. According to who, Parados?

http://www.biokurs.de/treibhaus/180CO2_supp.htm

http://www.biokurs.de/treibhaus/CO2-Dateien/CO2_proj650.gif
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:31 pm
Parados, that alleged 5% was alleged to be 5% per year. Over the 30 year period 1975 to 2005, that would amount to 30 x 5% =150%.

Quote:

http://co2.cms.udel.edu/Increasing_Atmospheric_CO2.htm
Emissions of Carbon from Human Activities
Using a combination of modern and historic data, scientists estimate that humans have sent a total of 305 billion metric tons of carbon into the atmosphere since 1751; half of these emissions have occurred since the mid-1970s.
…
About half of the recent emissions are not accumulating in the atmosphere, but are going into the ocean and, to a lesser extent, into soils. These are considered "sinks" in the global carbon budget because they take up atmospheric CO2.

So half of that alleged 150% = 75% ended up in/on the surface of the earth. The other half, 75%, ended up in the atmosphere:
Per year, that's = 75%/30 = 2.5% per year which ended up in the atmosphere. But the actual average global temperature increase over 1975 to 2005 was less than 0.222%.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 04:56 pm
miniTAX wrote:
parados wrote:

The soil stock of carbon is 20x to 40x the carbon in the atmosphere. So 1% of this stock would represent more carbon than the 30% increase in atmospheric CO2 concentration supposedly manmade over the past 200 years.
You are divining conclusions from noise, Parados.

Your source for the 20-40 times carbon in the soil vs the atmosphere?

Or are you the one that is using "noise" to make your conclusions?
0 Replies