Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

spendius

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 03:18 pm
Well- I should think the delegates in Bali are just about emerging from the sack about now along with the dancing girls, croupiers, musicians and bartenders.

I wish I was a delegate. I'd risk the exhaustion and all that filling in of expenses claims.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 03:42 pm
spendius wrote:
Well- I should think the delegates in Bali are just about emerging from the sack about now along with the dancing girls, croupiers, musicians and bartenders.

I wish I was a delegate. I'd risk the exhaustion and all that filling in of expenses claims.

Is it warmer than usual in Bali these days? Hi Spendi.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 04:59 pm
username wrote:
I see ican is suggesting that someone needs a basic course in chemistry and physics, apparently because that person does not share ican's deep understanding of Henry's Law and what it tells us about CO2 in the atmosphere and the oceans.

Did you happen to see this sentence in the citation on Henry's Law you so thoughtfully provided, ican?

"It also only applies for solutions where the solvent does not react chemically with the gas being dissolved. A common example of a gas that does react with the solvent is carbon dioxide, which rapidly forms hydrated carbon dioxide and then carbonic acid (H2CO3) with water."

Did you happen to see that, hm, ican? Perhaps you might consider a refresher course, hmmm, ican?

Oh my God! Does CO2 do that in carbonated drinks containing H2O as well as other ingredients? I don't think so!

First, did you happen to see the whole quote about the applicability of Henry's Law?
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry%27s_law
It should also be noted the Henry's Law is a limiting law that only applies for dilute enough solutions. The range of concentrations in which it applies becomes narrower the more the system diverges from non-ideal behavior. Roughly speaking, that is the more chemically different the solute is from the solvent.
It also only applies for solutions where the solvent does not react chemically with the gas being dissolved. A common example of a gas that does react with the solvent is carbon dioxide, which rapidly forms hydrated carbon dioxide and then carbonic acid (H2CO3) with water.

Second, did you happen to see:
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry%27s_law
Temperature dependence of the Henry constant
Because solubility of gases is decreasing with increasing temperature, the partial pressure a given gas concentration has in liquid must increase. While heating water (saturated with nitrogen) from 25°C to 95°C the solubility will decrease to about 43% of its initial value. This can be verified when heating water in a pot. Small bubbles evolve and rise, long before the water reaches boiling temperature. Similarly, carbon dioxide from a carbonated drink escapes much faster when the drink is not cooled because of the increased partial pressure of CO2 in higher temperatures. Partial pressure of CO2 in seawater doubles with every 16 K increase in temperature.

Global warming increases the temperature of seawater, so the CO2 in seawater escapes faster when the sea water is warmed by global warming.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 07:26 pm
Foxy wrote-

Quote:

Hiya Foxy. I've missed you you know. Fighting alone is a bit tough. You have to make yourself unpopular.

It's nosh time in Bali now, The handouts have been handed out now and the news reports based on them filed so let the evening commence.

We will gloss over the fact that they are supposed to have caused more pollution with their junket in the tropical paradise than a nation like Chad can manage in a whole year. And they haven't finished yet. Not by any manner of means.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 07:46 pm
There are three or a few countries around the globe to stop this development.
Germany, China, India and some other countries.
USA is represented with a very big delecation.

Once can talk and talk .

It is an accepted fact that USA is not with the poverty-stricken global people .
Ask any bangladesh people or xyz .

I had mentioned Germany, India and china.
Any comment or correction .?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 10:54 am
ican711nm wrote:

Global warming increases the temperature of seawater, so the CO2 in seawater escapes faster when the sea water is warmed by global warming.

So then your claim that global warming would decrease CO2 is nothing but BS.. It took you a while to realize it but now it seems even you know you were making claims that violate science.

Laughing
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 10:58 am
spendius wrote:
Foxy wrote-

Quote:

Hiya Foxy. I've missed you you know. Fighting alone is a bit tough. You have to make yourself unpopular.

It's nosh time in Bali now, The handouts have been handed out now and the news reports based on them filed so let the evening commence.

We will gloss over the fact that they are supposed to have caused more pollution with their junket in the tropical paradise than a nation like Chad can manage in a whole year. And they haven't finished yet. Not by any manner of means.

They are supposed to have? You are quite funny spendi. You take claims that are overblown to begin with and then blow them up even further.

The original piece you posted lists figures that are about 75% of Chad's output. Now along comes Spendi to claim it is MORE.

That piece uses faulty figures to reach its conclusions. I wonder if all those people going to Bali would be carbon nuetral if they stayed home. What do you think? Do you have any evidence to support your claim?
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 11:26 am
Foxfyre wrote:

Very tough place to go: far flung, hot like inferno and on the verge to being drowned by sea rise. See for yourself here.
The 15,000 climate delegates to Bali deserve applause for their sacrifice.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 12:49 pm
Are there really 15,000 delegates there???

If so, nothing will be accomplished. I believe this is all much more interesting when viewed as a mass psychological response to unresolved issues in the contemporary world. Such movements have happened before.

Meanwhile the true believers continue to amuse. Have any of the pious signers of the Kyoto Convention come even close to meeting their self assigned goals?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 01:09 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

That would be an average of 80 delegates per nation. If that is considered too much ...
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 01:23 pm
This from the original post about that..
Quote:
Calculations suggest flying the 15,000 politicians, civil servants, green campaigners and television crews into Indonesia will generate the equivalent of 100,000 tonnes of extra CO2. That is similar to the entire annual emissions of the African state of Chad.

By the way.. the latest numbers I can find on Chad for 2004 are 130,000 tonnes of CO2. That is up from 117,000 in 2003..
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 02:51 pm
miniTAX wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Very tough place to go: far flung, hot like inferno and on the verge to being drowned by sea rise. See for yourself here.
The 15,000 climate delegates to Bali deserve applause for their sacrifice.

Indeed. Obviously hell on Earth. We should all observe a moment of silence in their honor. . . .
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 03:18 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

That would be an average of 80 delegates per nation. If that is considered too much ...

Excellent arithmetic Walter, but you miss the point. 80 delegates would be a large number for this country or China or India or even Germany. Think about Luxemborg, Andorra, Monaco, Iceland - or any of the tiny nations of Africa or the Persian Gulf.

it's a bit like the Children's Crusade.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 03:31 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

Excellent arithmetic Walter, but you miss the point. 80 delegates would be a large number for this country or China or India or even Germany. Think about Luxemborg, Andorra, Monaco, Iceland - or any of the tiny nations of Africa or the Persian Gulf.

And you didn't bother to read the story of who they included in their total it seems.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 03:48 pm
parados wrote:
ican711nm wrote:

So then your claim that global warming would decrease CO2 is nothing but BS.. It took you a while to realize it but now it seems even you know you were making claims that violate science.

Laughing

Shocked
I never said that global warming would decrease CO2.

I said that precipitation (e.g., rain) in a particular region of the atmosphere, decreases the amount of CO2 in that region of the atmosphere.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 04:10 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

Might be.

The German delegation has indeed 80 members - including the represenatives send from every statete.

The US-delegation seems to be a bit larger:
Quote:
In recognition of the importance the United States attaches to this conference, the White House is sending Chairman of the White House Council on Environmental Quality James L. Connaughton to join in leading the Ministerial sessions December 12-14. Chairman Connaughton is a senior advisor to President Bush, and his personal representative to the Major Economies Process on Energy Security and Climate Change.

The White House is also sending U.S. Trade Representative Ambassador Susan C. Schwab for a December 8-9 Trade Ministers meeting and Under Secretary of Treasury for International Affairs David H. McCormick for a December 10-11 Finance Ministers meeting.

Senior Climate Negotiator and Special Representative Dr. Harlan Watson will attend both weeks, and act as alternate to Dr. Dobriansky. Other senior U.S. representatives attending the Bali conference include Assistant Secretary of State for Oceans, Environment and Science Claudia A. McMurray, Assistant Secretary of Energy for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Andrew Karsner, U.S. Ambassador to the European Union C. Boyden Gray, and U.S. Ambassador to Indonesia Cameron R. Hume.

Additional agencies to be represented include the Department of Agriculture; the U.S. Agency for International Development; Environmental Protection Agency; National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce; the National Security Council; the White House Council on Environmental Quality; the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy; and members of Congress and congressional staff.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 04:26 pm
parados wrote:
And you didn't bother to read the story of who they included in their total it seems.

Why should I?

15,000 is an entertainment, not a conference or a negotiation.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 04:39 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Why should I?

15,000 is an entertainment, not a conference or a negotiation.

Well, 1992 in Rio, there had been more than 17,000 delegates altogether ...
(But 1972, in Stockholm, only 3,000)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 04:41 pm
And consider what they achieved.

Certainly the ratio of talk to constructive action (particularly among the Kyoto signatories) has reached an unprecedented new high.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 04:48 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
And consider what they achieved.
hmmm, a nice trip at taxpayer's expense ?
0 Replies