Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

miniTAX

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 12:52 am
Diest TKO wrote:
T
K
Open a can of soda, does it stay carbonated?
The CO2 content in ocean is very, very, very, very far from saturation. Do a minimum homework and don't make false claims with ridiculous comparisons TK !
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 12:40 pm
Not only that but doesn't a can of soda remains carbonated indefinitely? Without artificial compression and/or as it warms, however, it releases sufficient carbonation so that it is no longer super carbonated which produces the fizz we want in our beer. soda and seltzer water. It has been a long time since chemistry class, but I seem to remember something called "Henry's Law" describing the levels of CO2 (and other gasses) based on the temperature of the liquid in which it was dissolved plus other factors.

So it seems reasonable to me that the scientists who say generally higher levels of CO2 follow warming rather than cause it do have a leg to stand on. Of course that doesn't explain the periods identified when the CO2 levels were quite high when the planet was overall much cooler, but perhaps that was an anomaly during a rapid climate shift.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 12:57 pm
Hmm, I thought I detected an overall drop in the IQ of the site this morning...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 01:01 pm
Hmm.

Just one single response as if nothing had been and happened during more then half a year's time ...

Hmm.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:29 pm
miniTAX wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
T
K
The CO2 content in ocean is very, very, very, very far from saturation. Do a minimum homework and don't make false claims with ridiculous comparisons TK !

It's not like you brought any homework to discredit me here.

The oceans don't have to be near saturation levels for the surplus CO2 to not get disolved. As discribed earlier, the rain cycle brings that CO2 out and the water vapor in the air is harldy going to be able to compensate for the increase in CO2 and draw the CO2 back into the ocean.

Be clear here. Are you trying to convince me that an increase in CO2 in the atmosphere is trivial because of CO2's soluabiluity in both water and air?

I noticed you declined to comment on the carbonation of a open soda can.

T
K
O
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 04:21 pm
Henry's law states that given time a gas will reach an equilibrium based on a constant in its concentration both in the atmosphere and water.

Based on the time the atmosphere and the ocean have existed there is no reason to think the oceans are very very very very far from their maximum CO2 content when using Henry's law.

I find it funny how Fox's statement directly contradicts MiniTax's.

But just in case we think Mini and ican show some sense, let's look at some of the recent science..

Quote:
The Southern Ocean is an important avenue of carbon invasion into the ocean, because the deep ocean outcrops here. Le Quere et al. [2007] diagnosed the uptake of CO2 into the Southern Ocean using atmospheric CO2 concentration data from a dozen or so sites in the Southern hemisphere. They find that the Southern Ocean has begun to release carbon since about 1990, in contrast to the model predictions that Southern Ocean carbon uptake should be increasing because of the Henry's Law thing. [...]

A decrease in ocean uptake is more clearly documented in the North Atlantic by Schuster and Watson [2007]. They show surface ocean CO2 measurements from ships of opportunity from the period 1994-1995, and from 2002-2005. Their surface ocean chemistry data is expressed in terms of partial pressure of CO2 that would be in equilibrium with the water. If the pCO2 of the air is higher than the calculated pCO2 of the water for example, then CO2 will be dissolving into the water.

http://www.pastpeak.com/archives/2007/11/more_climate_fe.htm
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:47 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Hmm.

Just one single response as if nothing had been and happened during more then half a year's time ...

Hmm.

Sorry to intrude. I thought over time it might be different with you and others who post via ad hominem rather than enter into reasonable discussion. But oh well. Have a great day anyway.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:49 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Hmm, I thought I detected an overall drop in the IQ of the site this morning...

Cycloptichorn

Yes, you hadn't posted in awhile and I thought it might be safe. My mistake.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:51 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Hmm.

Hmm.

Sorry to intrude. I thought over time it might be different with you and others who post via ad hominem rather than enter into reasonable discussion. But oh well. Have a great day anyway.

Why would you think that?

You should stick with being Albqowl; there's still a shred or two of credibility associated with that identity.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 09:06 pm
miniTAX wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
T
K
The CO2 content in ocean is very, very, very, very far from saturation. ...
TK !

Yes, but that is irrelevant. You obviously did not understand the excerpts I posted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry%27s_law
Formula and Henry constant

You require an elementary course in physics and chemistry. No shame there unless you now refuse to recognize your limitations.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 09:18 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Not only that but doesn't a can of soda remains carbonated indefinitely? Without artificial compression and/or as it warms, however, it releases sufficient carbonation so that it is no longer super carbonated which produces the fizz we want in our beer. soda and seltzer water. It has been a long time since chemistry class, but I seem to remember something called "Henry's Law" describing the levels of CO2 (and other gasses) based on the temperature of the liquid in which it was dissolved plus other factors.

One of those other factors is the pressure on the soda. In a sealed bottle, almost all of that pressure can last for a very long time until enough of the soda's molecules leak out through the bottle and/or bottle cap, to cause a measureable reduction in the pressure inside the bottle -- a century or two?

So it seems reasonable to me that the scientists who say generally higher levels of CO2 follow warming rather than cause it do have a leg to stand on. Of course that doesn't explain the periods identified when the CO2 levels were quite high when the planet was overall much cooler, but perhaps that was an anomaly during a rapid climate shift.

Good valid post, Foxfyre!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 09:45 pm
ican711nm wrote:
miniTAX wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
T
K
TK !

Yes, but that is irrelevant. You obviously did not understand the excerpts I posted.

You require an elementary course in physics and chemistry. No shame there unless you now refuse to recognize your limitations.

Did you mean to direct this to Diest TKO instead of Minitax, Ican? I think Minitax probably has it right.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 09:52 pm
parados wrote:
Henry's law states that given time a gas will reach an equilibrium based on a constant in its concentration both in the atmosphere and water.

Based on the time the atmosphere and the ocean have existed there is no reason to think the oceans are very very very very far from their maximum CO2 content when using Henry's law.

I agree!

We would first have to measure at a point in time the CO2 content of earth's various ocean regions, and their temperatures, and the pressures under which they exist. Then for that point in time we could determine if any of those ocean regions at that given point in time were near or at their maximum CO2 content according to Henry's Law.

Until such measurements are made, I will assume these ocean regions are not saturated with CO2. However, when these ocean regions warm, they emit some of their CO2 in the form of gas into the atmosphere even though they are not saturated with CO2.

How does that happen?

Well obviously CO2 mixed in liquid H2O, is emited into the atmosphere mixed with the H2O vapor that evaporates from these ocean regions as they are warmed. H20 mixed with CO2 does not have to be saturated with CO2 for its vapor to retain in mixture, as it enters the atmosphere, some of that CO2 the H2O contained in mixture when liquid.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 10:02 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
miniTAX wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
T
K
TK !

Did you mean to direct this to Diest TKO instead of Minitax, Ican? I think Minitax probably has it right.

Thank you! Yes my comment was directed to Diest TKO and not miniTAX. What miniTax wrote was correct. H2O doesn't have to be saturated with CO2 to emit CO2.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 02:05 am
I see ican is suggesting that someone needs a basic course in chemistry and physics, apparently because that person does not share ican's deep understanding of Henry's Law and what it tells us about CO2 in the atmosphere and the oceans.

Did you happen to see this sentence in the citation on Henry's Law you so thoughtfully provided, ican?

"It also only applies for solutions where the solvent does not react chemically with the gas being dissolved. A common example of a gas that does react with the solvent is carbon dioxide, which rapidly forms hydrated carbon dioxide and then carbonic acid (H2CO3) with water."

Did you happen to see that, hm, ican? Perhaps you might consider a refresher course, hmmm, ican?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 02:44 am
We've some 'climate change action' here, in Germany, today: "Germany turns the light out"

There are 'demosnstrations' on various places, in our state the main events organised by the Evangelical churches

http://i10.tinypic.com/71rjm09.jpg

And even google.de joins the list ...

http://i8.tinypic.com/6joxd9x.jpg
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 02:53 am
Cool. I didn't realize Google did Deutsch. Do you pronounce it "goog-luh" or is it "Goog-ul", like in Englisch?
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 02:54 am
We'll be thinking of you, there in the dark, Walter. Good on ya.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 03:42 am
We pronounce it like in English (the German version started in 2002, same time as in the UK, France and Japan).

And there's even the 'German' verb 'to google' ("googeln").

Thanks for thinking of me, usename - Mrs Walter will switch of the lights here while I'll be on our christmas market, doing some photos (= my favourite [big] band plays there tonight, and I'm kind of their "house and home photographer").
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 03:46 am
From a Spiegel-online report

Quote:
The intentions behind Saturday's "lights out" action in Germany, Switzerland and Austria may be good, but utility companies are warning that the pro-climate protection demonstration could cause a mass power outage across Europe.

Saturday night's "lights out" action in German-speaking countries -- meant to draw attention to the world climate change conference in Bali -- is intended to send a signal that more needs to be done to stop global warming. But European utility providers are warning that green thinking could lead to a brownout on Europe's power grid.

Energy companies are cautioning that if, as planned, millions of homes turn off their lights for five minutes at 8 p.m. on Saturday, and then turn them back on at the same time that the sudden surge could overload the power grid.
0 Replies