Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

parados

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 07:56 am
Gee... citing 6 years is now the same as citing 6-8...
Rolling Eyes

Then citing 6 years that show an increase from the first to the last shows it has leveled off in the last 6-8. Rolling Eyes

I guess it is now fairly obvious that when you said this okie, you only said it for political reasons and it had nothing to do with science.

okie wrote:

Your 5 year floating average is better than 2 or 3, but I would submit that maybe a 7 or 10 year average would be even better
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 08:03 am
For a couple of people that want to blame all the warming on the solar cycle, you two sure want to ignore it when it comes to looking at the cycle of warming the last 6 years. The high point of the solar cycle would have been when and which part of the solar cycle are we in now? We all know that the solar cycle DOES affect the earth's temperature. But it doesn't allow for all the warming.

The fact that the temperature has barely dropped while the solar cycle has gone from high to low speaks rather loudly, don't you think? Or should we now pretend that the solar cycle has no bearing at all on the earth's global temperature?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 02:40 pm
This debate ought not be distracted away from logical implications of participant's arguments by nits about how those arguments are expressed.

The debaste is about whether or not humans are causing global warming.

Those who allege humans are causing global warming by inserting CO2 into the atmosphere cite the increasing density of CO2 in the atmosphere.

Those who allege humans are not causing global warming cite trends in global temberature increases and decreases to show that those temperature increases and decreases do not correlate well with the trend in the increase of CO2 in the atmosphere.

Other possible causes of global warming are also being debated. One of those possible other causes is the sun's trend of increasing radiation on the earth. Others relate to the natural events caused by the earth itself: Earth's solar orbit and wobbling spin axis, volcanoes, earthquakes, meteorites, lightning, et cetera.

If it were to be discovered that global temperature is leveling or decreasing while CO2 density in the atmosphere is increasing, then it would be logical to conclude that increasing CO2 in the atmosphere is/was not one of the cause of global warming and something else is/was the cause.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 02:58 pm
parados wrote:

The fact that the temperature has barely dropped while the solar cycle has gone from high to low speaks rather loudly, don't you think? Or should we now pretend that the solar cycle has no bearing at all on the earth's global temperature?

The sun's periodic peak radiation intensities have been increasing, while the earth's temperature has been increasing. We'll see whether that trend continues. If that trend levels off or decreases, and the earth's temperature subsequently levels off or decreases, it would be logical to conclude the sun's radiation intensity trends are a contributing cause of earth's temperature variations, while the increasing CO2 trend is not a contributing cause, but rather a consequence of earth warming.

When the earth warms there is a greater rate of evaporation from its oceans. When there is a greater rate of evaporation, more of the high H2O and CO2 mix dissolved in its oceans enters the atmosphere. It is therefore logical to infer that earth warming is a primary cause of the increasing density of CO2 in the atmosphere, rather than increased CO2 density in the atmosphere is the primary cause of earth warming.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 10:24 am
parados wrote:
Rolling Eyes

Then citing 6 years that show an increase from the first to the last shows it has leveled off in the last 6-8. Rolling Eyes

I guess it is now fairly obvious that when you said this okie, you only said it for political reasons and it had nothing to do with science.

okie wrote:

Your 5 year floating average is better than 2 or 3, but I would submit that maybe a 7 or 10 year average would be even better

Wow, now you are picking on the 8, but accepting 6? Well, with this year, it would be 7, would you accept that? Do you understand approximations?

I am looking at the numbers, which I hope aren't political, but I admit as I have expressed before, I would like to look at the source of the numbers alot closer. I would like 5, 7, or 10 year averages for the last 6 to 8 years, but unfortunately there is not enough data to fill in the blanks with those averages yet.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 10:48 am
okie wrote:
parados wrote:
Rolling Eyes

okie wrote:

Wow, now you are picking on the 8, but accepting 6?
Did you READ my statement. 6 years shows an INCREASE. It has nothing to do with your 8. Not only is the 6-8 bogus because the 7 and 8 don't show what you claimed but the 6 doesn't even show what you claimed.

Quote:
Well, with this year, it would be 7, would you accept that? Do you understand approximations?
I do understand approximations. I also understand when someone hides behind "approximations" because the real numbers show their statements to be false. Your "approximation" was made to support your politics. It wasn't made to be accurate. If you want to claim people should use science over politics then you should put science over politics.

Quote:

I am looking at the numbers, which I hope aren't political, but I admit as I have expressed before, I would like to look at the source of the numbers alot closer.
Why haven't you looked at it already? You made claims as if you did know the numbers. The graphs you claimed showed something used those numbers. Why is it no longer valid when we actually LOOK AT THE NUMBERS?
Quote:
I would like 5, 7, or 10 year averages for the last 6 to 8 years, but unfortunately there is not enough data to fill in the blanks with those averages yet.
So you are saying that you don't accept the 5 year average because it ONLY uses the previous years? Rolling Eyes Averages can ONLY use the existing data. Any 5 year average only uses the given year plus the previous 4. We can't ignore the average because it doesn't match your politics.

Not enough data? I provided MORE data than the chart you used but now that the data doesn't support your "approximation" you don't think there is enough data? Rolling Eyes Yeah.. right.. you prefer to put science over politics.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 10:54 am
ican711nm wrote:
parados wrote:

The sun's periodic peak radiation intensities have been increasing, while the earth's temperature has been increasing. We'll see whether that trend continues. If that trend levels off or decreases, and the earth's temperature subsequently levels off or decreases, it would be logical to conclude the sun's radiation intensity trends are a contributing cause of earth's temperature variations, while the increasing CO2 trend is not a contributing cause, but rather a consequence of earth warming.
So what? You are arguing that only the peaks of a solar cycle warm the earth? Either the amount of the sun's radiation affects the temperature or it doesn't. You can't claim it doesn't when the radiation goes down if you claim it is the only cause of warming when it goes up.

Quote:
When the earth warms there is a greater rate of evaporation from its oceans. When there is a greater rate of evaporation, more of the high H2O and CO2 mix dissolved in its oceans enters the atmosphere. It is therefore logical to infer that earth warming is a primary cause of the increasing density of CO2 in the atmosphere, rather than increased CO2 density in the atmosphere is the primary cause of earth warming.
Maybe High Seas can come and jump all over you for getting your facts wrong. Nah.. She is just fine with letting you dispense this pseudo science.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 03:36 pm
parados wrote:

ican711nm wrote:

So what? You are arguing that only the peaks of a solar cycle warm the earth? Either the amount of the sun's radiation affects the temperature or it doesn't. You can't claim it doesn't when the radiation goes down if you claim it is the only cause of warming when it goes up.

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_variation
Solar activity

[edit] Sunspots

Graph showing proxies of solar activity, including changes in sunspot number and cosmogenic isotope production.Sunspots are relatively dark areas on the surface of the Sun where intense magnetic activity inhibits convection and so cools the surface. The number of sunspots correlates with the intensity of solar radiation. The variation is small (of the order of 1 W/m² or 0.1% of the total) and was only established once satellite measurements of solar variation became available in the 1980s. Based on work by Abbot, Foukal et al. (1977) realised that higher values of radiation are associated with more sunspots. Nimbus 7 (launched October 25, 1978) and the Solar Maximum Mission (launched February 14, 1980) detected that because the areas surrounding sunspots are brighter, the overall effect is that more sunspots means a brighter sun.

From okie's posted link:
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Short_Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png
Description

Expanded record of instrumental temperatures showing recent global warmingThis figure shows the last 25 years of globally averaged instrumental surface temperature measurements according to data collected by the Hadley Centre of the UK Meteorological Office and the Climatic Research Unit of the University of East Anglia. Data set HadCRUT3 was used. The most recent documentation for this data set is Brohan et al. (2006).

Also shown is a history of fluctuations in the El Nino Southern Oscillation and the period of volcanic disturbance due to the stratosphere-piercing eruption of Mount Pinatubo. The volcanic period is defined as the period of satellite discernable volcanic ash in the upper atmosphere (Luo et al. 2002). The El Nino / La Nina periods are defined here as times when the five month average of the Nino-3 Index deviated from its mean (over these 25 years) by more than 0.5 °C. Many of the interannual variations in temperature relative to the trend can be explained by the release (during El Nino) or uptake (during La Nina) of thermal energy by the oceans. The eruption of Mount Pinatubo, one of the largest of the century, may have depressed global temperature as a result of expelled ash and sulfates. The eruption of Krakatoa in the 1880's caused global temperatures to drop dramatically. The "Year without a summer" was a direct result of the eruption. Crops failed and frosty mornings in July across much of the northern states were common that year. Proof that a single volcano can effect the earths temperatures.

Both the sun's annual radiation maximums and minimums have been increasing until perhaps just recently. If the sun's annual radiation intensity maxima and minima were to decrease and the earth's temperature were subsequently to decrease also, then it would be logical to infer that the sun's annual radiation intensity maxima and minima are a contributing cause of earth's temperature cycles.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:03 pm
I found a website that really makes it hard to take global warming seriously.
It lists about 600 things that have been blamed on global warming, including several that contradict each other.

Such as this one...

http://www.livescience.com/environment/050629_fresh_water.html

Quote:
Since the late 1960s, much of the North Atlantic Ocean has become less salty, in part due to increases in fresh water runoff induced by global warming, scientists say.

That article is directly contradicted by this one...

http://environment.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn12528&feedId=online-news_rss20

Quote:
This is because saltier waters in the upper levels of the North Atlantic ocean may mean that the global ocean conveyor belt - the vital piece of planetary plumbing which some scientists fear may slow down because of global warming - will remain stable.

So, is the Atlantic getting saltier or not?

Of course, GW is getting blamed for everything now, including the fact that circumcisions are on the decline in part of Africa...

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2007/11/02/circumcision-rates-africa-decline-because-global-warming#comments

Now here...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1816860.stm

It says that the earth is slowing down its spin due to global warming.

But here...

http://environment.newscientist.com/article/dn11555-global-warming-will-make-earth-spin-faster.html

It says that the earth is spinning FASTER due to global warming.

So tell me, which is true?
Is the earth spinning faster or slower?

For your education and amusement, here is a list of about 600 different things that global warming is being blamed for...

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm

If you read the list, you will see that many of them contradict each other.
With all of these things being blamed on global warming, it really makes it tough to take the GW crowd seriously.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:23 pm
This is a pale imitation of what it will be like in Bali in between all the other stuff which won't be mentioned in the "communique".
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:28 pm
spendius wrote:
This is a pale imitation of what it will be like in Bali in between all the other stuff which won't be mentioned in the "communique".

And since all of the environmentalists are flying to Bali, how is that earth friendly?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:35 pm
You must have missed my earlier post mm.

The Sunday Times said that the carbon footprint from Bali was greater than that of Chad which is a country in Africa in case you think it's in Florida.

And they weren't counting the prostitutes, waiters and alcohol densities or any other non-accredited persons who's presence is merely fortuitous and thus unworthy of being mentioned in despatches.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:37 pm
I can't remember if the figure for Chad related to a year or the whole of its existence.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:38 pm
spendius wrote:
You must have missed my earlier post mm.

The Sunday Times said that the carbon footprint from Bali was greater than that of Chad which is a country in Africa in case you think it's in Florida.

And they weren't counting the prostitutes, waiters and alcohol densities or any other non-accredited persons who's presence is merely fortuitous and thus unworthy of being mentioned in despatches.

And your attempt to be snide is also noted.
I am very aware where Chad is, just as I am aware where Bali is.
I have been there, have you?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 05:37 am
Perish the thought, and I wasn't attempting to be snide. I read that a significant majority of Americans thought Chad was in Florida as a result of the "hanging chad" fiasco which took place there and which I followed at the time with morbid fascination as the destiny of the world was hanging in the balance. Maybe the report I read about that was snide but it looked genuine enough.

I'm afraid I did give a wrong impression though but it was a totally innocent error. I meant by "Bali" the circus that is going there to discuss GW. I meant Bali in the same way we refer to Bretton Woods or Yalta or Kyoto. Sorry about that.

To be clear- the article in the ST said that the pollution caused by the get together was greater than that of Chad for a whole year.

I've never been anywhere unless under orders so that I keep my carbon footprint to a minimum. It seems to me that everybody making a fuss over GW is a high level polluter which seems a bit ridiculous don't you think? Besides, I don't care for spewing out noxious gases into other people's gardens on my own account.

As far as I'm concerned anybody who voluntarily travels to these sorts of places to relieve their boredom has nothing to say about GW except if they say they don't give a damn about it. That's fair enough as they obviously don't give a damn. There's something a bit odd about people who routinely fly round the world and then start lecturing the rest of us about our world threatening behaviour. That makes it look like lecturing us is their main purpose. The biggest sinners are casting the biggest stones.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:32 am
mysteryman wrote:
I found a website that really makes it hard to take global warming seriously.
It lists about 600 things that have been blamed on global warming, including several that contradict each other.

Yes, I enjoyed hearing most of them. Rush read most of them on the air.

I need to go buy some new shoes. I think global warming made them wear out quicker. Tall grass, more rain, rougher terrain, and many other factors related to weather made conditions much more difficult where I walked with them. CO2 is now beginning to impact me in ways I never imagined.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:36 am
Quote:
Rush read most of them on the air.

Please go back to school. You're hurting your country.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:54 am
You don't enjoy humor, blatham? The global warmers at least provide some.

Are you drinking rats milk yet, blatham? That has been one of the suggestions, I hope you know, to save the planet.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:59 am
okie wrote:
You don't enjoy humor, blatham? The global warmers at least provide some.

Are you drinking rats milk yet, blatham? That has been one of the suggestions, I hope you know, to save the planet.

Please go back to school. You are hurting yourself too.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 11:49 am
okie-

There is no rats milk in cities unless the sewers and dumps are flowing with rat nutrient such as the stalks of Tibetan asparagus flown in fresh this morning.
0 Replies