Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 08:22 am
That could be read in such a way. And that's the reason why I give the above wiki-link

Quote:
Notes: Does not include natural CO2 emissions
- World total 24,126,416 100 %
- United States Total 5,844,042 24.3 %
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 08:46 am
So to put it entirely into perspective, what is the quantity of and natural fluctuations of the natural CO2 emissions? Wouldn't we need to know that to determine the significance of the manmade CO2 emissions? And do the statistics factor in components such as George cited of cutting down a rain forest? The results of that would also be human caused, but would not be measurable as emissions.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 09:02 am
http://cdiac.ornl.gov/trends/co2/sio-mlo.htm
The records are online here..
http://cdiac.ornl.gov/ftp/ndp001/maunaloa.co2

then there are the historical records from the ice cores..
Here is a simple place to start..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3792209.stm

We do happen to know what the CO2 in the atmosphere has been for the last 740,000 years. I would say that is a pretty long perspective to use, wouldn't you Fox?
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 09:06 am
Foxfyre wrote:
So to put it entirely into perspective, what is the quantity of the natural CO2 emissions? Wouldn't we need to know that to determine the significance of the manmade CO2 emissions?

Of the carbon going into the atmosphere annually, 250 Gt are natural, 7 Gt are manmade (3% of total) but those numbers are far from accurate.
Manmade CO2 emission is up each year, just like atmospheric CO2 but the 2 trends do not correlate well.
The concentration of the other major GHG, methane (whose forcing is about 1/3 that of CO2) has stabilised in the atmosphere and nobody knows why.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 09:08 am
parados wrote:
We do happen to know what the CO2 in the atmosphere has been for the last 740,000 years. I would say that is a pretty long perspective to use, wouldn't you Fox?
This pretty long perspective tells us that temperature is responsible for atmospheric CO2 content and NOT the reverse. Exclamation
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:20 am
miniTAX wrote:
parados wrote:
This pretty long perspective tells us that temperature is responsible for atmospheric CO2 content and NOT the reverse. Exclamation

Really? How does it do that? We know they correlate.

Here is a simple experiment that you can perform that will show that CO2 affects the heat retention of air.
http://www.beloit.edu/~SEPM/Geology_and_the_enviro/Earth_warming.html

Provide your experiment that shows that heating a container of air increases the amount of CO2.

Lacking any experiment that shows heat causes CO2, I am left with the only logical hypothesis that CO2 is the cause of the heat retention and not the other way around.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:37 am
Well no. Even with my limited knowledge, I think most scientists see it the other way around.

Quote:
Researchers of the 1970s CLIMAP project found strong evidence in deep-ocean sediments of variations in the Earth's global temperature during the past several hundred thousand years of the Earth's history. Other subsequent studies have confirmed these findings and have discovered that these temperature variations were closely correlated to the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and variations in solar radiation received by the planet as controlled by the Milankovitch cycles. Measurements indicated that atmospheric carbon dioxide levels were about 30 % lower during colder glacial periods. It was also theorized that the oceans were a major store of carbon dioxide and that they controlled the movement of this gas to and from the atmosphere. The amount of carbon dioxide that can be held in oceans is a function of temperature. Carbon dioxide is released from the oceans when global temperatures become warmer and diffuses into the ocean when temperatures are cooler. Initial changes in global temperature were triggered by changes in received solar radiation by the Earth through the Milankovitch cycles. The increase in carbon dioxide then amplified the global warming by enhancing the greenhouse effect

http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/7y.html

The AGW crowd will be happy that this particular source also supports the theory that human activity is also increasing the CO2 in the atmosphere.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:40 am
parados wrote:
Read the ENTIRE sentence george.

Quote:
The United States already is responsible for roughly one-quarter of the world's carbon dioxide and other "greenhouse" gases that scientists blame for global warming.

The statement is NOT about all the CO2. It is about the CO2 that scientists blame. There is no other reading possible.

The natural sources of CO2 have a cycle that kept the levels fairly constant. It is the added man made CO2 that has caused increases in levels because the natural cycle can't keep up.

Your statements here are wrong in each and every detail.

The quoted statement was indeed ambiguous about just what was the component of the CO2 of which the United Srtates is supposed to account for 25% of production. ALL net CO2 increases contribute to the greenhouse effect, whether from the decay of vegetable matter or the burning of petroleum or coal.

Moreover the processes that remove CO2 from the air - the growth of green plants and absorption by the oceans and lakes (forming carbonic acid, which eventually precipitates as limestone.) can strongly affect the resulting atmospheric levels.

The "natural" sources of CO2 have definately NOT "kept the levels fairly constant" over geologic time as you said. The geological record indicates periods of intense volcanic activity that significantly altered the atmosphere. Solar activity is significantly variable, as is increasingly becoming known and understood. As a result of these and other "natural" factors the temperate zones of the earth have experienced multiple ice ages and periods of relative warmpth.

The earth is not, and never has been, in physical equilibrium.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 11:59 am
Calculations to show that the present CO2 concentrations couldn't have come from warming oceans.

http://www.john-daly.com/oceanco2/oceanco2.htm

Please feel free to refute with your own math.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 03:20 pm
Okay, here's more than just a shot across the bow aimed at the AGW advocates. And if it catches on, look for this debate to really heat up. I apologize for posting the whole thing, but I think this is one of the sites that doesn't leave their articles up very long.

UK News
'Global Warming Is Lies' Claims DocumentarySOURCE
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 03:31 pm
Every time Channel 4 had broadcasted a documentary by Martin Durkin , they had to broadcast a prime-time apology. But with all the trouble this station has momentarily - that doesn't really matter Laughing

Channel 4: The Great Global Warming Swindle
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 03:45 pm
I don't know anything about the bloke. But sometimes a major embarrassment is followed by extra effort to redeem oneself. At any rate, I'll be watching to see if this one grows any legs.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 08:26 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Every time Channel 4 had broadcasted a documentary by Martin Durkin , they had to broadcast a prime-time apology. But with all the trouble this station has momentarily - that doesn't really matter Laughing

Channel 4: The Great Global Warming Swindle

Walter, does your posting of this mean you are beginning to have a few doubts about this issue?

I like the quote from your link:
"In fact, the experts in the film argue that increased CO2 levels are actually a result of temperature rises, not their cause, and that this alternate view is rarely heard. 'So the fundamental assumption, the most fundamental assumption of the whole theory of climate change due to humans, is shown to be wrong.' "

It was a long time ago, but I think I brought up that very possibility either on this forum or another one.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 12:10 am
I've posted a link to the source (Foxfyre thought, her link wouldn't be online a longer time).

That's it. I can't watch the program here, so I don't know if it will perhaps change my doubts.

Announcements of tv programs aren't generally something which inform me .... besides that this program is scheduled at that time.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 12:18 am
Article in the paper on Saturday (I've just read it this morning, maybe it's been mentioned here already) that carbon emissions from shipping much greater than from the aviation industry.

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,,2025726,00.html
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 12:47 am
Gosh,

There is a whole complex world out there for the self-appointed carbon police to regulate. I'm sure they are breathless with anticipation. How exciting this must be for them and how truly important they must feel - the indispensable self-appointed regulators of everything.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 12:54 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Gosh,

There is a whole complex world out there for the self-appointed carbon police to regulate. ....

Too true :wink:

And it's more than enough to make headlines Laughing

Smile
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 02:19 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Gosh,

There is a whole complex world out there for the self-appointed carbon police to regulate. I'm sure they are breathless with anticipation. How exciting this must be for them and how truly important they must feel - the indispensable self-appointed regulators of everything.

Isn't that just a tad bitter, George? People are genuinely concerned that the glaciers are disappearing and the seas are coming up.
Any related topics are a legitimate subject for journalism, it seems to me.

Note, I did not comment on the article myself. Of course it takes more fuel to drive a bulk carrier than an aeroplane.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 02:44 am
McTag wrote:
Isn't that just a tad bitter, George?

Not at all. I'm sure George is looking forward to the new, improved climate in places like Siberia, Canada, and -- one day, who knows? -- maybe even Antarctica.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 03:36 am
parados wrote:
miniTAX wrote:

Really? How does it do that? We know they correlate.

Here is a simple experiment that you can perform that will show that CO2 affects the heat retention of air.
http://www.beloit.edu/~SEPM/Geology_and_the_enviro/Earth_warming.html

Provide your experiment that shows that heating a container of air increases the amount of CO2.

Lacking any experiment that shows heat causes CO2, I am left with the only logical hypothesis that CO2 is the cause of the heat retention and not the other way around.

Don't bother with your experiment. We have a much better and wide scale experiment: in the past, CO2 varies periodically with temperature about every 100.000 years. And the number of SUV, powerplants, planes, megacities... to spew CO2 was precisely equal to zero. Besides, if you read the article given by Foxfyre, you'll know that CO2 lagged temperature by about 800 years.
Now make your own conclusion.
0 Replies