Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

miniTAX

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:10 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I've just looked at the falsified officially data: miniTAX, how did you manage that the most coldest period ever in Le Bourget (1879/80) didn't get in your excellent graphics? And what about 1949?
Walter, the above graph didn't mean to plot Paris le Bourget's annual temperature but to show that man can live and prosper in a wide range of temperatures compared to the "catastrophic" warming that occured in modern time.
A warming over a century when GDP has increased more than 15x and GDP per capita has increased more than 4x. If this is a catastrophe, I want more of it for my children.

P.S. BTW, here is the annual temperature of le Bourget
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/work/gistemp/STATIONS//tmp.615071500001.1.1/station.gif
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:26 am
Thomas wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
I don't know if what we view as the universe is finite or not. I can accept that it can scientifically be shown to be so. But no science here can yet say what lies beyond what we call the universe either. We know only an immeasurably tiny amount of all there is to know.

I'm not sure if you're implying this, but the finiteness of spacetime does not necessarily mean that there is a beyond. Since it's hard to imagine the curvation of the four-dimensional spacetime we live in, here is a three-dimensional analogy. The question, "if spacetime is finite, what lies beyond?", is much like a four-dimensional version of asking, "if the surface of the Earth is finite, what lies beyond its edge?". And the question, "what happened before the Big Bang?", is much like a four-dimensional version of asking "what lies north of the North Pole?"

I don't know if that's what you had in mind with "what lies beyond what we call the universe". But if it was, you probably have mistaken notions of spacetime geometry (as we all do unless we pay a hell of a lot of attention).

My point is that there is zero ability to prove IF or WHETHER there is anything beyond the known universe, and it would be as ludicrous to say that science KNOWS there is nothing beyond as it would be for me (or anybody else) to say that I or anybody knows what is or isn't out there. All this was within the context of my heartfelt and reasonable assertion that we humans know only a miniscule amount of all there is to know.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:29 am
miniTAX wrote:
P.S. BTW, here is the annual temperature of le Bourget

Thanks. (My French sources' graphs are more detailed. :wink: )
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:50 am
Thomas wrote:

Indeed it is. At least 80°F of global warming will be necessary to make it suitable for human settlement. Unfortunately the anti-global warming crowd will obstruct every effort to make Antarctica's climate safe.

That grin in your avatar suddenly looks very evil when you made this statement. :wink:
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:52 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
I recall from highschool chemistry class that freezing water releases heat while melting ice absorbs heat and thus cools the environment around it. So couldn't it follow that a colder Anarctica, i.e. freezing water/ice, would temporarily warm the perimeter a bit? Or would it all get colder simultaneously, in which case where is the heat going?
Laughing Sorry fox but the last time I was in freezing arctic water, my perimeter was not warmed one bit. (Its true that heat can be generated or absorbed when a substance changes state. But heat and temperature are not the same as you know or would do if you had being paying attention all those years ago :wink: )

Well I see your point, but I fail to see how your being immersed in freezing water would be a reasonable analogy of the temperature of air and/or ocean that are not immersed in freezing water but are in close proximity.

I know that temperature is a measurement of the amount of heat that exists so I agree they are not the same thing. However where one exists so does the other. We know that water placed in a freezer will release heat though in amount immeasurable by any other than the most sensitive of instruments.

Anarctica is a very large mass, however, and I still wonder if photography that enhances areas of heat and cold would show the temporary heat released by enormous amounts of ice that is releasing heat and thus becoming colder. And such 'visible' heat would likely be around the perimeter.

I don't know this is the case. I'm just wondering.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:00 am
Fox,
You are ignoring the fact that the graphic isn't showing heat. It is showing temperature trends. They are 2 completely different things.

Your argument also ignores the observed loss of ice that directly contradicts your claim that the heat is coming from ice being created.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:03 am
parados wrote:
Fox,
You are ignoring the fact that the graphic isn't showing heat. It is showing temperature trends. They are 2 completely different things.

Your argument also ignores the observed loss of ice that directly contradicts your claim that the heat is coming from ice being created.

It does nothing of the kind. I was referring to the NASA photo of Anarctica that was posted yesterday. Try to keep up, dear.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:08 am
You are referring to this one, aren't you?
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2541633#2541633

It clearly says, "Temperature Trends " below it as the guide to the red and blue shading on it.

If there is another one, could you direct me to it?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:10 am
Foxfyre wrote:
My point is that there is zero ability to prove IF or WHETHER there is anything beyond the known universe, and it would be as ludicrous to say that science KNOWS there is nothing beyond as it would be for me (or anybody else) to say that I or anybody knows what is or isn't out there. All this was within the context of my heartfelt and reasonable assertion that we humans know only a miniscule amount of all there is to know.

That's fine.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:12 am
parados wrote:
You are referring to this one, aren't you?
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2541633#2541633

It clearly says, "Temperature Trends " below it as the guide to the red and blue shading on it.

If there is another one, could you direct me to it?

That's no photo - Foxfyre was referring to a NASA-photo.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:48 am
parados wrote:
Fox,

You are ignoring the fact that temperature trends are determined by heat and also ignoring the fact that the discussion was related to a discussion of measurable cooling in that area. Such discussion was accompanied by a hypothesis of what is causing the apparent warming around Anarctica and/or that the warming is causing increased preciptation that is causing the cooling. I think my question re a possible alternate cause is quite reasonable.

You are welcome to attempt not to attack somebody for asking a question and if you have a valid answer, that would be appreciated.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:24 am
I attacked you?
Wow.. I happen to point out your argument is based on a non existent photo and that makes me the bad guy that can't "keep up."

You say you want a discussion about your "reasonable" alternative but when I point out some problems you think it is an attack? You don't want a discussion. You want to be agreed with or else you consider it an attack. Rolling Eyes

Some other problems with your argument. Ice forms on the top of water. As more ice forms it would release the majority of the heat from that change into the water below the ice. The graphic only measures temperature change at the very surface of the ice to the air. It would not measure any heat given off as water turns to ice.

One could easily point to a simple cycle of heat on the edge of the continent evaporates moisture which then cools as it changes back and become precipitation. This would account for a difference in temperature from the edge to the center of the continent. What it does not account for is the increase in temperature on the edge and the cooling in the center. If we assume that evaporation/precipitation are a zero sum game when it comes to heat then it becomes easy to see that an increase in temperature on the edge would decrease the temperature in the center. That however is too simplistic in its approach. This is not a closed system.
Nor does it explain the increase in temperature at the edges of the ocean.

We have some givens...
1. As water changes to ice it gives off heat.
2. The heat warms the surrounding areas, water or air.
3. As more ice forms more heat is given off.

But that leads to a real problem with your speculation. Ice formation is directly related to temperature. The colder the temperature the more ice that will form. the warmer the temperature, the less ice that will form. In a closed system ice formation will eventually lead to an equilibrium in which the temperature won't allow any more ice formation. That means there must be some outside force creating the increase in temperature. It can't be simply from the formation of ice.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 10:03 am
I wonder if Al is going to blame that utility bill on Tipper charging up all those batteries... ?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 10:21 am
parados wrote:
I attacked you?
Wow.. I happen to point out your argument is based on a non existent photo and that makes me the bad guy that can't "keep up."

You say you want a discussion about your "reasonable" alternative but when I point out some problems you think it is an attack? You don't want a discussion. You want to be agreed with or else you consider it an attack. Rolling Eyes

Some other problems with your argument. Ice forms on the top of water. As more ice forms it would release the majority of the heat from that change into the water below the ice. The graphic only measures temperature change at the very surface of the ice to the air. It would not measure any heat given off as water turns to ice.

One could easily point to a simple cycle of heat on the edge of the continent evaporates moisture which then cools as it changes back and become precipitation. This would account for a difference in temperature from the edge to the center of the continent. What it does not account for is the increase in temperature on the edge and the cooling in the center. If we assume that evaporation/precipitation are a zero sum game when it comes to heat then it becomes easy to see that an increase in temperature on the edge would decrease the temperature in the center. That however is too simplistic in its approach. This is not a closed system.
Nor does it explain the increase in temperature at the edges of the ocean.

We have some givens...
1. As water changes to ice it gives off heat.
2. The heat warms the surrounding areas, water or air.
3. As more ice forms more heat is given off.

But that leads to a real problem with your speculation. Ice formation is directly related to temperature. The colder the temperature the more ice that will form. the warmer the temperature, the less ice that will form. In a closed system ice formation will eventually lead to an equilibrium in which the temperature won't allow any more ice formation. That means there must be some outside force creating the increase in temperature. It can't be simply from the formation of ice.

I acknowledge that I was referring to a photo of a graphic illustration. I did not mean to give the impression that it was an actual photograph of Anarctica.

But I still don't see why ice freezing on the mammoth scale that is happening in Anarctica could not cause warming of the perimeter. We aren't talking anything permanent here but a fairly short term trend considering the very large area involved.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 10:24 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Anarctica is a very large mass, however, and I still wonder if photography that enhances areas of heat and cold would show the temporary heat released by enormous amounts of ice that is releasing heat and thus becoming colder. And such 'visible' heat would likely be around the perimeter.

Are you also wondering if photography that enhances areas of heat and cold would show the temporary cold temperatures released by enormous amounts of ice that is melting? I mean, if such 'visible' cold can be seen in center of the continent, aren't you wondering whether the center might be melting, and therefore releasing cold temperatures?

Your argument (pardon, "theory")(no, pardon, "theoretical question") goes along the lines of "the center is fine, it's getting colder there, and the perimeter is fine, it's showing warmer temperatures there, which might be a sign that it's really getting colder there, too"...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 10:26 am
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Are you also wondering if photography that enhances areas of heat and cold would show the temporary cold temperatures released by enormous amounts of ice that is melting? I mean, if such 'visible' cold can be seen in center of the continent, aren't you wondering whether the center might be melting, and therefore releasing cold temperatures?

Your argument (pardon, "theory")(no, pardon, "theoretical question") goes along the lines of "the center is fine, it's getting colder there, and the perimeter is fine, it's showing warmer temperatures there, which might be a sign that it's really getting colder there, too"...

I don't know. Is that your theory? And does that explain the warming of the perimeter? I'm surprised you are giving any consideration to the question at all with me being such a liar and all.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 10:27 am
Has this video been posted? For a little humor this morning, Gore being the comedian.

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player06.html?022707/022707_hc_begley&Hannity_Colmes&Hollywood%20Hypocrisy%3F&acc&Politics&412&News&385&&&new
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 10:31 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I don't know. Is that your theory? And does that explain the warming of the perimeter? I'm surprised you are giving any consideration to the question at all with me being such a liar and all.

No. I don't have a theory. I'm not an expert when it comes to climate/temperature changes in Antarctica.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 11:36 am
You are confused about what really happens when water transitions from a liquid to a solid..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_enthalpy_change_of_fusion

A lot of water suddenly changing to ice doesn't create heat. It gives off heat at a different rate as it changes forms. Because the extra energy is needed to change forms it means that a closed system will equal itself out where it is not cold enough to create ice or warm enough to melt ice.

So.. it requires that it be COLDER to create more ice. Your argument is impossible.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 12:10 pm
To put it another way...

Heat flows from the warm area to the cold area. In order to create ice, the air has to be colder than the water. Ice can be colder than freezing. When ice is formed it spends a longer time at that temperature where it changes form.

When a body of water freezes over, the water freezes on top. If the air temperature is cold enough the ice will get thicker because the ice itself gets colder. The point of freezing is where the ice itself meets the water. The water below the ice is always above it's freezing point. The ice will vary in temperature. At the surface next to the air, the ice will be the same temperature as the air. Where the ice touches the water below the sheet it will be the same temperature as the water. The ONLY place that more ice can form is under the ice sheet where the ice is touching the water. The ice at this point is acting as an insulating factor. Heat up the water below and the ice will thin. Heat up the air above and the ice will thin. The only way to create more ice is to cool the air temperature. The water isn't cooled below because there is no colder area to draw the heat from the water.

Since the air is warming there is no way it can be creating more ice. You would be losing ice at that point. Physics says you can't create heat by creating ice and physics says an increase in temperature over a frozen body of water can not create more ice.
0 Replies