Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 12:15 pm
Quote:
Heat up the air above and the ice will thin. The only way to create more ice is to cool the air temperature. The water isn't cooled below because there is no colder area to draw the heat from the water.

It's actually quite lucky that this is true, or life would have had a hard time developing on earth.

Ice is a funny thing; one of the few molecules, H20, which expands during the freezing process...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 12:37 pm
Apropos ice:

ANDRILL is a project "drilling back in time to recover a history of paleoenvironmental changes that will guide our understanding of how fast, how large, and how frequent were glacial and interglacial changes in the Antarctica region."

They might some interesting findings so far.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 12:42 pm
Just think, in 10,000 years, they'll be analyzing an ice sample wondering "Where did all these plastic water bottles come from?".
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 04:44 pm
Well I'll give Parados a gold star for at least attempting to answer my question about heat transfer when water is freezing and/or ice is becoming colder than it was. I don't see how that can happen without heat being moved from the water or ice to someplace else. And I don't see why that someplace else can't be the perimeter around Anarctica since nobody seems to be disputing that the ice on Anarctica is thickening and becoming colder. That would explain why the recent trend is a slightly higher temperature around the perimeter of Anarctica at this time.

Of course the converse theory is that the higher temperatures are creating more precipitation which is creating a colder interior. But it is just a theory because they honestly don't know.

So my theory looks pretty good. Smile
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 04:54 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Well I'll give Parados a gold star for at least attempting to answer my question about heat transfer when water is freezing and/or ice is becoming colder than it was. I don't see how that can happen without heat being moved from the water or ice to someplace else. And I don't see why that someplace else can't be the perimeter around Anarctica since nobody seems to be disputing that the ice on Anarctica is thickening and becoming colder. That would explain why the recent trend is a slightly higher temperature around the perimeter of Anarctica at this time.

Of course the converse theory is that the higher temperatures are creating more precipitation which is creating a colder interior. But it is just a theory because they honestly don't know.

So my theory looks pretty good. Smile

Ice formation is a result of two factors (which are actually one factor, though we look at them differently) - heat and pressure. There are actually many forms of ice which are incredibly dense and incredibly cold, due to pressure differences....

It's actually far more complicated than I originally believed; see this great resource which talks about the 15 or so different types of ice -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 04:59 pm
Thanks. I've been reading up on ice. Especially Arctic and Anarctic ice (which they now think is a much older than originally thought), how it forms etc. But the one universal fact in all forms of ice is that whenever water freezes or ice becomes colder, heat is transferred from the water or ice to something else.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:06 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Thanks. I've been reading up on ice. Especially Arctic and Anarctic ice (which they now think is a much older than originally thought), how it forms etc. But the one universal fact in all forms of ice is that whenever water freezes or ice becomes colder, heat is transferred from the water or ice to something else.

Let's say that you have a piece of ice sitting around, and you increase the pressure on it - the ice can become colder or hotter based upon the pressure changes alone. Has to do with the two factors actually being one factor thingie I mentioned earlier; temperature readings are always dependent on pressure.

The whole thing is hard to wrap your head around.... but here's a good example: water, or slushy ice, can form at the bottom of glaciers due to the high pressure exerted by the ice sitting on top of it. The ice didn't really get any hotter, but the conditions required for h2o to stay solid did. This is one of the theories as to why glaciers move so fast (geologically speaking, of course).

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:08 pm
So why do you think the interior of Anarctica is getting colder while there has been a small temperature increase around the perimeter?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:16 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
So why do you think the interior of Anarctica is getting colder while there has been a small temperature increase around the perimeter?

Not sure; there could be a lot of different reasons.

I know that the interior is always going to be significantly colder than the exterior for a variety of different reasons, not the least of which being altitude and relative insulation from weather fronts.

I know that the exterior is more susceptible to temperature fluctuations, because it is actually in contact with the ocean itself and therefore has somewhere to dump or suck in heat from.

I don't know why the exterior is getting colder, though I think we can come up with some theories about changing weather patterns. We're just going to have to do more research and see.

Actually, from studying this, I can see where some of the AGW alarmists are coming from. Why? The biggest threat that we can imagine as a species right now - other than impact from a large extraterrestrial object, or the sun going out - is a significant chunk of the ice in Antarctica melting enough on the bottom to slide off of the shelf into the sea. It may not seem like a big deal to you, but my city of Berkeley would vanish overnight as the seas rose 4-6 meters. Scary thoughts, and the worst part is we don't have any real science to predict when it could happen...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:16 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

I know that temperature is a measurement of the amount of heat that exists
er well not quite actually. The amount of heat in the ocean (av temp 14 C) is an awful lot more than the amount of heat in my cup of coffee (temp 65 C)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:20 pm
Yes, the heat goes somewhere else. But that is a result of heat transfer. In order for heat to go somewhere it must have somewhere colder to go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer

If it is warmer then there is LESS heat transfer. Your theory violates the second law of thermodynamics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_law_of_thermodynamics

Ice is NOT created if the air is warmer than water. It can't be. Simple physics makes it impossible. In order to create ice faster than before the air MUST be colder. It can't be warmer. The minute the air gets WARMER then the ice being created is reduced.

Your theory doesn't work because over 150 years of scientific theory and laws say it doesn't work. You have to remember that there is a rather large energy source, the sun, that is constantly adding energy to the system.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:23 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I don't know why the exterior is getting colder, though I think we can come up with some theories about changing weather patterns. We're just going to have to do more research and see.

Cycloptichorn, I think that the article and picture that spawned this particular bit of the discussion was showing that the exterior was getting warmer, not colder:

Antarctic Temperature Trend 1982-2004

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/Images/antarctic_temps.AVH1982-2004.jpg

And here's the bit of the article that came with the picture, attempting to come up with an explanation for the observed temperature shifts:

Quote:
Why is Antarctica getting colder in the middle when it's warming up around the edge? One possible explanation is that the warmer temperatures in the surrounding ocean have produced more precipitation in the continent's interior, and this increased snowfall has cooled the high-altitude region around the pole. Another possible explanation involves ozone. Ozone in the Earth's stratosphere absorbs ultraviolet radiation, and absorbing this energy warms the stratosphere. Loss of UV-absorbing ozone may have cooled the stratosphere and strengthened the polar vortex, a pattern of spinning winds around the South Pole. The vortex acts like an atmospheric barrier, preventing warmer, coastal air from moving in to the continent's interior. A stronger polar vortex might explain the cooling trend in the interior of Antarctica.

source
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:25 pm
... and I should add that apparently, the guy at NASA thought that this bit was important, too:

Quote:
This image shows trends in skin temperatures
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:28 pm
parados wrote:
Yes, the heat goes somewhere else. But that is a result of heat transfer. In order for heat to go somewhere it must have somewhere colder to go.

If it is warmer then there is LESS heat transfer. Your theory violates the second law of thermodynamics.

Ice is NOT created if the air is warmer than water. It can't be. Simple physics makes it impossible. In order to create ice faster than before the air MUST be colder. It can't be warmer. The minute the air gets WARMER then the ice being created is reduced.

Your theory doesn't work because over 150 years of scientific theory and laws say it doesn't work. You have to remember that there is a rather large energy source, the sun, that is constantly adding energy to the system.

Then NASA is full of crap showing that the temperature around the perimeter of Anarctica has shown a small increase? That can't be happening if the interior of Anarctica is getting colder and the ice is getting thicker which they also say?

All I'm asking is a simple reason for that. And I would prefer one in which Wikipedia isn't the only source.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:33 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
parados wrote:

Then NASA is full of crap showing that the temperature around the perimeter of Anarctica has shown a small increase? That can't be happening if the interior of Anarctica is getting colder and the ice is getting thicker which they also say?

All I'm asking is a simple reason for that. And I would prefer one in which Wikipedia isn't the only source.

Hmm, the surface temperature of the ocean and the air surrounding it goes up - the ice around the edges goes up in temp a little as well. The temp in the middle doesn't affect the temp at the edges, and vice versa; it's the weather patterns in the air and water that matter.

Ice isn't superconducting... it isn't the same temperature throughout. Takes time to melt or freeze.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:33 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

While I would not go so far as to claim that there might be a simple reason, I tempted to say that the explanations NASA came up with might not be that bad. Then again, they might be (after all, NASA only offers them as "possible explanations"), but I would guess that they didn't use Wikipedia as their only source.

What do you think about the possible explanations NASA came up with (honest question)?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:51 pm
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

While I would not go so far as to claim that there might be a simple reason, I tempted to say that the explanations NASA came up with might not be that bad. Then again, they might be (after all, NASA only offers them as "possible explanations"), but I would guess that they didn't use Wikipedia as their only source.

What do you think about the possible explanations NASA came up with (honest question)?

Honest answer: I noted they did not assert a definitive reason for that. But I am suspicious when the only suggested possible reason is one that just happens to coincide with global warming. I'm just curious why other possible reasons were not offered.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:56 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Honest answer: I noted they did not assert a definitive reason for that. But I am suspicious when the only suggested possible reason is one that just happens to coincide with global warming. I'm just curious why other possible reasons were not offered.

I concede that that would probably make you suspicious, but NASA didn't offer only one possible explanation, but two. And, as far as I can see, the second one didn't coincide with global warming, but rather with a loss of UV-absorbing ozone:

Quote:
Another possible explanation involves ozone. Ozone in the Earth's stratosphere absorbs ultraviolet radiation, and absorbing this energy warms the stratosphere. Loss of UV-absorbing ozone may have cooled the stratosphere and strengthened the polar vortex, a pattern of spinning winds around the South Pole. The vortex acts like an atmospheric barrier, preventing warmer, coastal air from moving in to the continent's interior. A stronger polar vortex might explain the cooling trend in the interior of Antarctica.

What do you think about that possible explanation?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:58 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Well, when I think about thermodynamics, there really is only two possibilities for changing the temperature of the ice: changing the temperature of the air and water around it, or changing the pressure around it. So I'm not sure what other options there are.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 06:29 pm
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

I concede that that would probably make you suspicious, but NASA didn't offer only one possible explanation, but two. And, as far as I can see, the second one didn't coincide with global warming, but rather with a loss of UV-absorbing ozone:

Quote:
Another possible explanation involves ozone. Ozone in the Earth's stratosphere absorbs ultraviolet radiation, and absorbing this energy warms the stratosphere. Loss of UV-absorbing ozone may have cooled the stratosphere and strengthened the polar vortex, a pattern of spinning winds around the South Pole. The vortex acts like an atmospheric barrier, preventing warmer, coastal air from moving in to the continent's interior. A stronger polar vortex might explain the cooling trend in the interior of Antarctica.

What do you think about that possible explanation?

That's right they did and I was remiss in not mentioning it. I don't know any more about that than I know of the other theory. I do know that Anarctica is one of the most studied regions in the world, however, and given how they track the ozone layers and the changing conditions of the ice and the winds and the temperature etc., you would think they wouldn't have to guess so much about those things.

The one theory they didn't propose is that the phenomenon may be one of those natural cyclical fluctuations to be expected in the grand scheme of things.

So what do you think about it?
0 Replies