kickycan

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:28 am
Hey, fellow Scrabble remedials. It's not your fault! I went over my friend's house yesterday and they had the Scrabble out. I looked at the Scrabble dictionary they had. It's a bunch of horseshit! Every other word in it is simply not a real word! No wonder I'm getting pummelled every game. I've been trying to put words down that actually exist!

The jig--or, as it's probably spelled in the Scrabble dictionary, "jigghe" is UP!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:29 am
beth, Bill, littlek and willow...I couldn't beat em if they were helping me. Bingo! Bingo! bingo!...sheesh
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:33 am
JoeB, come back, come back! We need all the Canajun goils we can get, round here.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:33 am
Kicky-LoL
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:35 am
I may be sufficiently recovered a little later!

Actually, I've only got about ten minutes before I gotta go out.

CREAM 'em beth. Somebody's gotta do it.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:37 am
still think scrabble doubles would be fun...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:38 am
I'll look for ya later, JoeBlow. I may even put on a sweater set in your honour :wink:
0 Replies

Joeblow

kicky it bohggels the mind.
0 Replies

sozobe

I think so too!

Plus the duplicate thing, same letters, want to do that sometime.
0 Replies

Joeblow

s-w-e-a-t-e-r s-e-t

er, two words? Can you use hyphens?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:41 am
I played duplicate...it's fun and you learn a lot
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:49 am
How does the duplicate thing work?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:53 am
Yeah, how?

I think I have time to play, anyone wanna? (Duplicate or otherwise, though I'd have to figure out Duplicate.)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:57 am
nothin to it...just join...and play
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:02 pm
I finally could make a connection yesterday and with
anxiety and sweaty palms, I sat there and waited for an opponent and nothing happened <cry>

I'll have another try this evening, I don't have much time
now....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:09 pm
Here's some help

On ISC you can have a list of friends. Buddies panel displays information about friends who are online and what they are doing. When a friend joins or leaves ISC you will be notified.

To add someone in your buddies list right click on a name and select buddies + option from the menu. To remove someone select buddies -.
You can also use buddies command to edit your list, type:
budd + guizmo to add guizmo
budd - guizmo to remove guizmo
budd to see the list

A symbol comes after the name giving some information about the status of the player:
* - involved in a game
^ - observing a game
E - examining a game
C - computer player
B - robot
! - ISC admin
H - ISC helper
The players are displayed with different colors according to which dictionary they use:
black - computer players
blue - TWL98 players
aqua - SOWPODS
yellow - ODS
red - LOC2000
light blue - PARO
brown - SWL

The easiest way to start a game is by sending a challenge to all players. To do that click on Seek a game button or select from the menu bar Game and Seek a game.
You can also type the seek command manually in the text window, using the seek command.

Seek a game window will let you set some parameters before sending the challenge:

- 'opponent's rating' If you set a rating range make sure that your own rating is between minimum and maximum. The average rating on ISC is around 900. Expert players have over 1800. If you just started the system will set a range for you by default.
- the next 2 boxes let you avoid players with a provisional rating and players who have not signed the fairplay agreement.
- 'initial time' is the time you have when the game starts.
- 'increment' is the time in minutes added after each play. If you don't want to use increment let it 0.
- 'challenge' controls what happens when you challenge a play and you are wrong. If challenge is SINGLE there is no penalty. If challenge is DOUBLE you will pass that turn and your opponent plays again.
-'rated' if the rated box is unchecked the game will not count in your stats and your rating will not change if you win or lose.

Once you send the challenge you will see the number of players who received your challenge. When another player accepts your seek the game will automatically start.

Accepting a challenge

To see all the challenges available at any given time, go to Seek Graph. Each of the dots on the graph represents a pending request for a game. Clicking on a dot will accept that particular game request. Moving your mouse over a dot will display the information about that seek on the bottom of the seek graph:
- player's rating
- player's handle
- dictionary
- initial time, increment time (added after each play)
- challenge rule (single or double)
- noescape if noescape is ON.

Faster games are listed to the left, slower ones to the right. The vertical lines mark faster games (less than 10 mintes), normal games, and slow games (more than 35 minutes). The highest rated players are listed on the top, lower rated ones near the bottom.

A hollow circle represents a request for an unrated game. A square dot represents a request sent by a computer player.

Sending a challenge to a specific player

Instead of sending a general game request to all players, you can challenge a specific player using the match command. To match someone left click on a name and select Match from the menu or select from the menu bar Game and Match.

The match window let you fill out the form with the desired opponent's name and game parameters.
To get a list of players who are not playing click on a empty space in the main console window and select Who from the menu.

To challenge someone left click on a name and select Match option from the menu.

Playing a game with a computer player

To see what computers are available type who C. Computers on ISC have a C label after their names. If they don't have a (*) you can start a game by clicking on their name and selecting Match from the menu. The game will start immediately with the time controls and the dictionary that you proposed.

You can also start a game by accepting their seek requests. Every time a computer is free sends a seek request. To see all seek requests go to Seek Graph and look for square dots. You can start a game by clicking on the dot. If you accept their seek request the game will have the time controls and dictionary proposed by computer.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:18 pm
Thank you panzade, I did that last night (send the request)
I should have waited for a while for someone to answer
my request. I got cold feet, I guess.

I never played any games.....aehm, online that is Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:45 pm
CJane - if you add buddies to your list, you can left-click their name and then select SEEK. To add a buddy, me for example, type the folowing into the little white window below the grey screen

budd + gigiwatt
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:53 pm
I just played a guy who got FIVE bingos in the game.... I think he might have been using an anagrammer. Very frustrating.
Harumph.

Final score 583-272

Life goes on.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:53 pm
CalamityJane, what's your name over at Scrabble? I'll add you to my list.
0 Replies