Laeknir Scrat

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 11:15 am
Hi folks.
I have been on ISC for almost two years, and don't know the duplicate function yet (I don't know how to chat either, except with the person I'm playing against).

Some one asked about what's a "good" or "bad" rating.
It depends, whether you're there for fun or very competitive.
In TWL98 (American English) most players are between 400 and 700. Below 400, you are considered easy to defeat. Over 700, there are still classes. Some players over 900 will not play with someone under 800; and there are people with a rating over 1200.
Ratings are different in other languages. I am over 1000 in PARO (Italian), but I lose most games. Same thing with French (my rating in French is below 800, which means, simply, that I suck).

There is no Icelandic, since they have no ð, æ, þ, or ö tiles (and certainly not enough players). Italian has no k, x or w, and those letter tiles simply don't appear when you play PARO.
One of this days I'll try to play in Romanian or Dutch.

Poorpuppy did not accept my challenge, when he was on line. I am desolate about it.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 11:53 am
i am trying to register now..i am niteowl486...hopefully it will take..i love scrabble..i play literati on yahoo.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 11:55 am
Laeknir - I've been there for a while too - maybe 1.5 years. I think I've seen your name and just assumed it wasn't you. Maybe we even played eachother before.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 12:03 pm
okay i am on..is there anyone willing to play a game with me...i am niteowl486??????
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 12:10 pm
Not right now, but you're on my buddy list for later.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 12:49 pm
OK, I have some time! Anyone want a game?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 12:54 pm
I am about to throw in the towel. I really don't like this type of game. Of course, it could be because my rating has slipped below 400 after going 0-22. Anybody want to hand me a mercy f**k?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 12:55 pm
Er...

Sure, why not? :-D
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 12:56 pm
Why does everybody want to play while I'm stuck at work? It's so frustrating and ironic that most of the time I have time to play, but this piece of **** firewall won't let me connect!

I'm sure you'd kick my ass, Panzade. Maybe later.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:30 pm
Sorry, panz, I was looking forward to it. (I got called away a few minutes in -- sick kid at sozlet's preschool.) I got her out of there by promising an afternoon of snowman-building (she wanted to stay!) so won't be available again for a while yet.

(Rant about stupid stupid STUPID parents sending their sick kids to class saved for another thread...)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:47 pm
Hi Soz: I get underlined words in green when I'm on A2K. My understanding is that those are links to advertising that you can click on if you are so inclined. I've never been inclined.
Hi, Laeknir Scrat. I've only played two games and until I get a feel for the game I am only playing against people I know from A2K. A bit parochial, but it's what I'm corfortable with. What's your handle on Scrabble? Also, I get up about 6 am ET so 10-11 pm ET is when I tend to shut down for the night. I should be around there this evening about 8 pm if anyone wants to play.
Hi, Pan. 0-22? You exagerate, I suspect.
Johnboy = poorpuppy
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 03:22 pm
No rjb, never played much scrabble and I thought it was about having a good vocabulary but it's not...it's about knowing stupid two-letter words.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 03:27 pm
Heehee...there's a lot of truth to that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 03:45 pm
Soz - you went to pick up Sozelet at school because one of the students in class was sick? How sick?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 03:52 pm
Someone at ISC just played 'sexualized' - that's a 10-letter word folks!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 03:52 pm
Snot everywhere sick.

The person who notified me wasn't sure about confidentiality policies/ whether she could tell me who was sick and a quick glance around the room when I got there didn't expose any obvious culprits (half were in the activity room), but I asked sozlet and she described the vast quantities of snot coming out of one girl's nose in great detail. (Said she stayed away.)

We'll see.

I'm glad they told me though, that was one thing I asked in deciding whether to send her back to preschool. If I could just get her out of there if a kid was sent to school patently sick, that's a load off my mind. The teachers looked quite apologetic when I got there, but I'm not sure how much power they have to get a kid sent home.

rjb, I think the commonality with the green underlined words is hotlinking -- I expect (but didn't test) that if you click on the green underlined words on ISC that it takes you to a dictionary of some kind. I really doubt that it has anything to do with advertising.

We made a snowman, I'm sort of available now. (Making the snowman was fun!!)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 03:54 pm
Oh and yeah, stupid 2 letter words are a big part of the game. Kicky got all mad at me when I got 27 points for one of those. :-)

sexualized! Wow!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 03:58 pm
Yeah, those two-letter words are sickening. It sucks when you come up with a seven-letter word, and end up with 7 points, and then people like littlek and Soz immediately plunk down the word "as" or "go" and get twenty-seven.

Ridiculous!
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 04:07 pm
Maybe we should memorize this

Two Letter Words
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 04:11 pm
Soz, maybe the wrong thread for this, but, people are told to send their kids to school, sick or not. The only reason not to, around here, is if they have to be medicated or if they have a high fever (or some highly contagious disease that's not a cold or flu).

Anyway, I've been watching 300 vs 400 point games played in 12 minutes each. Amazing stuff.
0 Replies