What, exactly, is the rationale for establishing "sanctuary cities?"

layman

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 04:32 pm
@maxdancona,
OK, Max. You think there should be immigration laws. Who should make those laws? You?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 04:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
1. I think Layman's posts are pretty horrific. I guess we disagree about that, but, it is not a silly argument at all. He is Exhibit A of the ethnic hatred that some people still have.

2. I don't accept your dichotomy where people are either "open borders" or pro-enforcement of conservative interpretation of law. I guess we disagree on that. We could have a interesting discussion of what the goals of immigration law should be, or what policies are effective. It is rather difficult to have an intelligent discussion on this if you keep yelling partisan talking points.

3. I have stated my opinion on the inability for Federal government to force local police to enforce laws that American Citizens living in these areas don't want enforced. We went back and forth on this. We still disagree on this.

4. I haven't seen anything other than yelling of partisan talking points on any issue on this thread.

5. If you can already read my mind (in spite of the fact that I have already written the opposite)... then what is the point of me being here? (I ask that honestly, although I was really hoping for some thoughtfulness or depth from anyone here).

I will ask one more time... does anyone have anything interesting to say that doesn't involve yelling partisan points. I read RedState, there is nothing so far on this thread that I hadn't already heard.
layman

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 04:48 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

1. I think Layman's posts are pretty horrific. I guess we disagree about that, but, it is not a silly argument at all. He is Exhibit A of the ethnic hatred that some people still have.

Wrong, Max. Exhibit A is the average Mexican.
layman

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 04:53 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
3. I have stated my opinion on the inability for Federal government to force local police to enforce laws that American Citizens living in these areas don't want enforced. We went back and forth on this. We still disagree on this

Your "opinion" is totally wrong. It is a legal opinion . I have cited you a great number of laws which refute your ridiculous claim, but you simply stick you fingers in your ears, and ignore it all.

Whose being childish here, eh, Max? Bawl, louder, and you'll win--that your idea of "reasonable adult dicussion?"

It sho nuff aint mine.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 04:53 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Wrong, Max. Exhibit A is the average Mexican.

Exactly.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 04:58 pm
@maxdancona,
There are laws against illegal entry whether that entry involves a resident or a country. You seem to believe that there is reason to negotiate the legality of entering a country. Is this true?
layman

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 04:59 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I will ask one more time... does anyone have anything interesting to say that doesn't involve yelling partisan points. I read RedState, there is nothing so far on this thread that I hadn't already heard.

Here's a novel idea, eh, Max? Since you continue to REFUSE to answer even the simplest questions that might help frame the issues to be discussed (such as "who should make the laws?"), why don't YOU, for once in your life, take a positive position on something rather than just screaming 24/7 that everyone else is WRONG without a shed of argument to support your claims?

What do YOU have to say that's "interesting?"
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 05:05 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn, I had hopes for an intelligent discussion. This is civics 101. I am not going to answer simple questions. You should be able to answer this for yourself (or you can just look up the Court Decisions yourself if you care to).

If no one has anything intelligent to say... I am out of here.

layman

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 05:13 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
If no one has anything intelligent to say... I am out of here.
Well, at least you're being true to you well-established and well-known M.O., eh, Max.

Never say anything except that you're so brilliant that every dullard in the world bores you and are not worthy of your attention.

It's a tired game, Max. And it don't work at all--except for you. You know you must hide your incompetence in legitimate debate, and that you cannot get caught in the "trap" of trying to "explain" your half-baked ideas. You have to avoid answering questions, because you know you'll soon end up contradicting yourself if you ever start down that road.

So you pronounce your self the winner, then run like a bat out of hell.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 06:01 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
You should be able to answer this for yourself

Well I have answered it for myself. The law is clear on the issue of illegal aliens. However, I have noticed that some politicians started to call illegal aliens undocumented workers in a not-so-subtle attempt to legitimize illegal activity.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 06:26 pm
@maxdancona,

maxdancona wrote:

If Layman would drop the insults and pseudo ghetto dialect, I thing he would be one of our most valuable posters. I'm not implying anyone should agree or disagree, but an important set of outlooks.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 06:33 pm
@roger,
I don't care about the dialect. The ethnic slurs are the problem.

There is a long discussion discussion about what America means as a country. On one side is the idea that American culture was founded by people from Northern Europe and that American culture should still reflect this European protestant heritage. On the other side are people who believe that American culture is multi-ethnic, a mixture of the cultures that have made our ways here. This view is that Americans speak English and have values that are informed (or at least compatible) with European Protestant Christian values.

There is a deeper discussion here about the core reason that there are Americans on both sides... and there are many who are in the middle too. You can express ideas about American culture without defaming other ethnicities.

And there are other issues. I am disappointed that all we are getting are simplistic partisan talking points.

I feel like I have made the effort to go deeper.

roger

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 06:43 pm
@maxdancona,
Yeah, but I meant to include ethnic slurs under insults.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 06:49 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

If Layman would drop the insults and pseudo ghetto dialect, I thing he would be one of our most valuable posters. I'm not implying anyone should agree or disagree, but an important set of outlooks.

Well, we all know them's some big-ass IF'S there, eh, Rog, which aint never gunna happen, but thanks for your (backhanded) lil compliment, just the same, eh?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 06:53 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I feel like I have made the effort to go deeper.

Maybe so, but I can't help but think that nobody else in this here thread feels that way, Max.

For reasons I done said, several times now.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 07:40 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

OK, Max. You think there should be immigration laws. Who should make those laws? You?
Max, I know it's foolish, but I'll ask this one more time on the long-ass shot that you might really want to address the issues raised in the OP.

I think you just want to hijack the thread and turn it into a forum where your whining and emoting is the prominent feature, and which no one else will be allowed to even question. Prove me wrong.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 07:49 pm
@maxdancona,
It's true, Maxdancona. No matter what anyone says, your answer is basically: "That's not what I want to hear." But the truth is that we have opinions concerning illegal immigration that you don't share. And that's the long and short of it.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 07:55 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
...3. I have stated my opinion on the inability for Federal government to force local police to enforce laws that American Citizens living in these areas don't want enforced. We went back and forth on this. We still disagree on this...

Just out of curiosity, what about the right of states to force local police to cooperate with state laws or policies? What if some town in California says that it will accept state laws or policies only when it wants to and intends to turn all illegal immigrants in custody over to ICE. You'd be okay with that?
layman

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 07:58 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

It's true, Maxdancona. No matter what anyone says, your answer is basically: "That's not what I want to hear." But the truth is that we have opinions concerning illegal immigration that you don't share. And that's the long and short of it.

Yeah, that is the truth, Glenn, but I don't think that's the "long and the short of it" as far as the stated purpose of this thread goes. I'm looking for some logical explanation for the seeming contradiction created by a person claims to oppose an open border policy (as Max claims to) and yet also supports every guy and his brother who tries to subvert the enforcement of immigration laws, and just leave every illegal alien be.

Can any sense be made of that? Apart from expressions of personal desires, I mean.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 07:59 pm
@Glennn,
What I want to hear is something that I consider more intelligent, and with more depth, than partisan talking points. Admittedly that is subjective... but you guys haven't even come close.