why vote?

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:20 pm
Quote:
keep yer hands off my tax dollars, i don't give 'em up happily, and i damned sure don't want to see them doled out to self-serving control freaks who use the Jesus myth to further their desire to run the lives of others, whether in an educational context or elsewhere.

How's this for irony....

Substitute "Evolution" for "Jesus" and I am 100% in complete agreement with you.

I don't judge, Setanta, I observe.

Let me know if you require any additional assistance differentiating between the two.

Having read your previous posts, I would be surprised if you did.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:21 pm
OK, i fess up . . . i'm about as deep as mud puddle in July . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:24 pm
And so in what degree is the theory of evolution to be described as "a belief system which belittles the Judeo-Christian faith?" Just an observation, mind you, not a judgement. Rolling Eyes

When you ask "Quite shallow, dontchathink?," that is most certainly judgmental.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:27 pm
I gotta go, but save up yer non-judgmental observations for me, and i'll respond later . . . by the way, Darwin was a practicing Christian, and was quite dismayed at the unjust charges laid against him on that score--sad to say, that nonsense continues to this day.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 07:13 pm
Make no mistake. The right wing wants to get rid of public education.
When the Soviet Union collapsed, the political right lost communism as
the enemy. Lewis Lapham, editor of Harper's, predicted that the political right would turn its guns on education, the poor, and cosmopolitism. He was correct on all three.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 07:23 pm
Rog - love that quote! (uh, back on the first page....)
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 11:18 pm
... and Einstein was a creationist...

Say!, this is a neat game!

shallow: penetrating only the easily or quickly perceived (~ generalization) I say, "tomato" (observation) you say, "tomahto" (judgement)... actually I meant to call you a bulbous perennial herb (Allium ascalonicum).
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 03:25 pm
Could someone please tell me why it is overwhelmingly the Christian faith that is railed against?

Could someone tell me why it is ok for non-Christians to label Christians in that one lump of "you Christians say we're going to hell" category?

Could someone please tell me why it is ok for non-Christians to call our God names and us names and yet when it even seems a Christian might be doing the same thing, we are called on it?

I have read time and time again in dozens and dozens of threads in many, many of the different topics and this seems to be the going fad, shall we say?

Why can't we focus on our similarities and what we can all do to come to some sort of compromise that can be accepted? No, okay you are all wrong and you are all right. Gee, isn't that what democracy is about? We, the people vote, the majority wins? Well, if you don't like what particular issue came out on top then do something about it. Lobby to have the laws changed. Don't you realize this is how wars start? No one willing to compromise? Someone has to be right? I say garbage.

If this is what the human race has come down to (and yes, I do mean lowered itself to) - not willing to find a solution but sure as heck happy to come up with a problem. Oh yeah, just as long as it's someone else we are pointing out that is in the wrong. But, that in itself is wrong. We have to look to ourselves and what we each need to do to change ourselves for the better before we can go about judging and railing against someone, anyone for the way they are.

He who has no sin, let him cast the first stone? Any takers?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 03:31 pm
mama I'm guessing your either didn't actually read what this topic is about or you don't understand it. This topic is not about christians or any other ilk, it is about the state legislature over-turning the vote of the people of the state of colorado. It's not neraly as complicated as you seem to read it (christian paranoia?)
Dys, I am the resident anarchist/antichrist.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 03:38 pm
No he ain't Momma. Actually dys is a good man, and that's supposed to be what stuff's all about.

As for voting politicians out of office, we(Florida) tried that. Didn't work.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 03:45 pm
Dys,

Yes. I read from beginning post to last post and I know what it is about. However, I just asked a couple of questions that came in my mind. I am all for providing any kind of education someone wants! We need more learned people in this country.

But, c'mon Dys, you know I have a valid point about the Christian thing. I don't often heear You Islams! You Muslins! You Buddhists! That's all I was asking.

Letty,

Well, if it didn't work once does it mean it won't work a second time? Doesn't that just mean more effort needs to be put into the task? Why give up?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 03:48 pm
Momma, where are you from?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 03:53 pm
Louisiana, Letty.

You want to talk about strange politics? Oh man, you can't imagine.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 04:02 pm
First, then, let me say that all of my folks were from Virginia. My mom's people from Richmond, the bible belt of the U.S. Her sister's were good women, but they were a little nuts on religion, and that is where most of my fear came from.

As for politics, I have don't promotional advertising for some of them, and most want one thing, and that is to get elected.

I'm not cynical, honest.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 04:08 pm
Letty,

Very, very understood. There are those in and out of the Bible belt that do get a bit nuts with it. But, that is because the way they interpret the religion itself. I find that most like that do it because it makes them feel superior to others and thus enabling them to live within their own skin a bit easier. I do not subscribe to that type of Christianity at all. I am firm in my beliefs but I am not the "shove it down your throat" type of Christian. And it is just so sad that the ones that have gone nuts with it have had such a negative impact on others. But, I do know this, the Bible specifically points out what God thinks of those types. He holds those types accountable for turning others away from Him because He specifically told us not to do that.

Ah, another southerner! Hi y'all! It's a big joke here about Louisiana Politics. Would you believe that one of our Governor's was proven to be a thief and ran again and was re-elected? Our last Governor, Edwin Edwards is sitting in jail right now. We even had a guy run for Governor who is in the Klu Klux Klan! He even publishes a paper for them! If you were to ask me to explain what's up with that? I got no clue!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 04:39 pm
Incidentally, Momma. If we look at Jesus the man. He was an anarchist as well, and his big problem was politics. If I'm not mistaken, that's why he got crucified.

I think it's all rather ironic, in a way.

Well, have to do stuff. Later yawl. <smile>
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 04:52 pm
Letty,

He could be called an anarchist, yes. But, only in the respect that he fought against the immorality of the authority and ruling power at the time. He did not, in my opinion, do it violently. He spoke against the immorality and breaking of the laws. And was that his big problem? I think the big problem was that the Romans nor the Jews understood what He was trying to teach them. He did not come to overthrow any government; nor did He come to take over the Priests of the Temples. He came to preach and teach the Word of God, plain and simple.

And, was He crucified for his anarchy? Well, that's a yes and no question. That's what the Romans accused Him of, treason. The Jews accused Him of blasphemy. But, the truth be known, He was guilty of nothing but preaching the truth.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 04:48 pm
Re: why vote?
dyslexia wrote:
Ater soundly defeating 2 general election initiatives for school vouchers, the Colorado legislature takes it upon itself to correct the electorate.
Rocky Mtn News 2/20/03
Quote:
"Colorado took a big step Wednsday toward a voucher system when lawmakers approved two bills providing tax dollars for low-income youngsters to attend private or religious schools. --both bills would weaken the state's public schools at a time when they are scrambling for dollars"

So you agree with the majority of the people who voted against vouchers? I happen to think vouchers area great idea. Give parents a choice on education for their children. Why should rich people be allowed to send their children to the schools of their choice and not so rich parents are stuck with crappy schools in their area? Why are you against choice?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 06:20 am
Vouchers take money away from public schools and that is why it is wrong. We can't send everybody to public school. We should improve public schools so that no one is left behind in the crappy schools.

However, the point was that Colorado took the freedom of choice away from the people who voted them in and that is wrong.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 06:33 am
My word. That should be "done". Sorry--carry on
0 Replies