why vote?

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 11:34 am
Ater soundly defeating 2 general election initiatives for school vouchers, the Colorado legislature takes it upon itself to correct the electorate.
Rocky Mtn News 2/20/03
Quote:
"Colorado took a big step Wednsday toward a voucher system when lawmakers approved two bills providing tax dollars for low-income youngsters to attend private or religious schools. --both bills would weaken the state's public schools at a time when they are scrambling for dollars"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,197 • Replies: 39
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 12:12 pm
Hey, SOMEBODY voted those folks into office....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 12:15 pm
perhaps the legislatores forget that in their infinite wisdom of whats good for the people.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 01:21 pm
Is this about voters or vouchers? I generally go with freedom of choice and the Colo. legislature seems to agree.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 02:14 pm
roger Question i don't follow your reasoning here, if the voters of the state say no, why is it ok for the legislature to over-rule the voters?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 02:24 pm
Actually, I'm guilty of reading your quoted material and not your preceding commentary, dys. That does change things, doesn't it?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 02:36 pm
Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 03:09 pm
Everybody gets the political assembly, she/he deserves. :wink:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 03:12 pm
True, Walter, but not necessairly in the short run. As John Maynard Keynes said, "In the long run, we are all dead."

Been saving that quote for ages.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 03:19 pm
However, roger, we live in a short run, namely in real time.

Well, I'm glad, we have nearly 99% state schools here.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 03:42 pm
How DARE they mess with humanisms monopoly on our children!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 03:51 pm
If yer concerned about "humanism," send yer kids to a parochial school, but keep yer hands off my tax dollars, i don't give 'em up happily, and i damned sure don't want to see them doled out to self-serving control freaks who use the Jesus myth to further their desire to run the lives of others, whether in an educational context or elsewhere.

On a lighter note, here's a Clemens quote i've used at this site a couple of times:

No man's life or property are safe while the legislature is in session.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:01 pm
I get your drift, maxsdadeo, but the issue is the legislature's overturning what seemed a legitimate vote.

I favor a voucher system, but the voters of Colorado disagree. This seems to be their call, or why bother to put it on the ballot?
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:05 pm
But your all right with promoting to the exclusion of all others a belief system that belittles the Judeo~Christian faith with MY tax dollars?

Typical response.

It is OK, when your guys do it....

Quite shallow, dontchathink?
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:07 pm
I am also with you, Roger.
As has already been pointed out, if the legislature refuses to follow the will of the people, then it is up to the people to vote them out.

If they don't, then I guess they HAVEN'T gone against the will of the people, have they?

Wow, Setanta!

In addition to a great split finger fast ball, I was unaware that Roger Clemens was so politically astute.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:13 pm
Whether a typo or a compliment, dadeo, I'll take that as a compliment. High praise, actually.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:15 pm
the so far approved bill in the Colorado legislature (contradicting the general election vote against) authorizes up to $4,200 tax payers money for private school tuition per student which is taken from funding of public schools. but as Maxsdadeo seems to say its the legislature that decides, not the people that pay the bills.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:16 pm
maxsdadeo wrote:
But your all right with promoting to the exclusion of all others a belief system that belittles the Judeo~Christian faith with MY tax dollars?

Typical response.

It is OK, when your guys do it....

Quite shallow, dontchathink?

Yeah, i come here to have you judge my depth. Thanks for your sneering assumption that i support such an activity--for which, by the way, you have provided no evidence. Rather extreme ranting there--"a belief system that belittles the Judeo-Christian faith?" Quite apart from there being no "faith" which is specifically Judeo-Christian, although there is such a theological tradition, you need to provide some proof that this is the case before making such a blanket statement. As for my statement about control freaks using the Jesus myth to attempt to run people's lives, i offer the evidence of Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Billy Graham, the Pope . . . the list is quite long.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:17 pm
Samuel Clemens, Boss, not Roger . . . i think he's related on his sister-in-law's mother's second cousin's side . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:19 pm
yeah well that and i am sure both setanta are actually quiet shallow to begin with.
0 Replies