Do I have a choice?

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 07:09 am
24 y/o male here. Adopted my ex wife’s 2 kids, she ended up being pregnant after we separated and now I am paying child support for 3 children. The marriage lasted less than a year, and from what I found out after divorce, I was pretty much set up. Since the divorce I have not been in contact with any of my girls. I get an occasional letter here and there but it’s always their mother writing them. She caused me such drama during our separation that I just want her to leave me alone. I’ve never denied paying child support and I’m not trying to get out of it. One of those girls is mine biologically, but I’m paying so much money to her that I can’t afford to live. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 960 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 01:18 pm
@Whatnow24,
If you have weekend custody of your girls, then the child support goes down. Is that possible e/o weekend?

It's too bad that you put money between you and your children, just because the mother is difficult to live with.

Get a lawyer or petition the court to re- evaluate your child support. It's a very objective formula for what the support should be, based on your income.

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 01:28 pm
And get a paternity test while you're at it and make sure you need to be on the hook for the third child.
0 Replies

bunnyhabit

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 01:42 pm
@Whatnow24,
if you adopted them the legal process will treat them the same as your biological daughter. you are responsible for their support in accordance with the divorce decree. no way of avoiding
0 Replies

Whatnow24

Reply Thu 3 May, 2018 06:14 am
Thanks for your responses. I've managed to save enough money to get a lawyers attention. Since my post I've been served restraining order to stay away from this woman. (my girls mother) and I haven't talked to her for 3 years. No contact what so ever. On the brighter side I did receive in the mail pictures of my girls all but 1, and pictures they drew for me and well. I wrote back and told them I loved them and they are beautiful, and that I missed them. All 3 are under 8 Years old so I kept it simple. After that their mother took it upon herself to write me telling me that if I wanted to see them I could come to her house on a certain day and she'd have her mother there with them. As bad as I want to see my girls, I'm sure it was a set up. I didn't take her up on her offer. However I wrote her back and told her my address is only to be used for my girls to contact me and if she continued I'd take legal actions. A week later she, herself drove a friend of hers to my current home in a different town about 20 miles from where she lives and her friend came to my door to ask me why I haven't responded to my exes letters. This is where I draw the line. I would be in jail if I had someone do that. Unfortunately I can't live in peace and I deserve to. Unfortunately there are too many fathers experiencing this type of harassment and then made out to be the bad guy. So as will see what the lawyer suggest. Thanks for your responses. Someday my girls and I will be reunited, I'll never give up.
0 Replies