1

NY Court hearing adjustment to CT ordered Child Support

ESB22

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2021 11:37 am
Hi- I was divorced in CT after moving to NY with my two kids. My ex stayed in CT. I was awarded $1500 a year (not a month) for child support. Circumstances have changed, he makes more, I make less. I filed for an adjustment in NY family court and have a hearing in April. My question is, can the NY magistrate even modify or change the original child support order? Or is this a waste of time/money?

1  
Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2021 02:49 pm
@ESB22,
I'm not a lawyer, but I think you have to address the court that issued the original child support order.

-1  
Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2021 02:53 pm
@ESB22,
I would suggest seeing a lawyer. You can pay $100 or so for an hour of his time (a free session tends to be a sales pitch). I have done this a couple of time, and paying a lawyer for a single hour has always been helpful, since you are paying the lawyer will give you professional answers.

Prepare your questions and bring all of the financial information you have for both you and him, and the lawyer will tell you if you should proceed.

$1,500 a year is not much at all. I am paying over $1,500 a month.