International child support arrears - moving from Australia to U.S.

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2022 11:39 pm
Hello all.

I'll soon be moving from Australia where I live to permanently live in the USA. I was recently granted a U.S. visa.

I have to beautiful kids in Europe. I am a dedicated "skype-dad", I speak to my kids twice a week via video and try to visit them in Europe twice a year. It's far from an ideal situation but we do our best.

About 1 year ago my ex-wife (in Europe) and I had a disagreement regarding the amount of child maintenance I transfer to her. I have since been ordered by an Australian court to pay the arrears back back gradually.

The Australian child support agency advised that when I am in the U.S. I should continue paying the arrears like normal. However I am concerned I will be denied entry in the U.S. as I have read U.S. citizens cannot use their passport if they owe more than $2,500.

Does anyone have any advice to ensure I make in the U.S.?

Cheers all.

I appreciate any help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 551 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2022 10:16 am
You should speak to a US immigration agency or lawyer for the best and most current advice.

Good luck in your new endeavours.
Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2022 04:41 pm
Hello. Okay, will do. Thank you very much!
0 Replies

Related Topics

  1. Forums
  2. » International child support arrears - moving from Australia to U.S.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 03/01/2024 at 08:30:21