A2K and The Possible Blizzard of 2005

sozobe

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:04 am
Yeah, the dove is out of place, but may have just roosted there for a moment...?

Our neighbors have a ground feeder, a little sculpted cherubic something with a bowl. The doves love that. What's cool is that all of those doves walking around on the ground attract raptors. A raptor-feeder is way cool! The first time I saw a falcon sitting on the peak of the roof looking down at the yummy doves I thought he was just an ornament. Then he looked at me. :-D
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:07 am
Bravo FM. I agree, I've never seen a dove feeding that high up/ I expect in a few decades they will have lost their ability to fly.
The house I grew up in had a huge living room window and placing the birdfeeder in front of it caused some birds to fly to their death...so we moved it to a less dangerous place.
The never ending battle against the squirrel was lovely Joe.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:10 am
Yeah Soz, the thin pole feeder is preferred now, though I've seen them shake the food down off that one too
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:11 am
its the web of life. The pigeon hawks and a little kestrel lives in our barn and in the silo . They are awesome when they take a pigeon in midair ( we have a passle of pigeons in our barn, flying rats) The doves have a little unnoticed defense in that they can "helicopter" when attacked. hey can fly backwards aa bit and this often makes the hawks miss their mark.
We have a big herd of redpoles his year. Fewer cardinals and more redpolls, so everything balances out in the color department.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:13 am
I just realized the ground feeder is probably why squirrels here don't bother. Why do the acrobatics if they can walk 30 feet and have easy access to the bounty?

We've got some fat squirrels 'round here.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:13 am
Snow expected, prepare the bird feeders! I really like that! Very Happy
And the idea of squirrel visitors in your very own yard sounds pretty exciting, even exotic, to me! But obviously I know nothing of their apparent peskiness, never having met one.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:14 am
Incidentally, that looks like a red-bellied woodpecker on the left.

http://www.bsu.edu/web/audubon/images/birdfeeder%20large.jpg
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:20 am
Cinn, I was thinking the same, good eye! They're not big on feeders either. I'd guess that originally it was just the Cardinal, which is a common bird feeder visitor.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:23 am
Snow stopped falling in Toronto. The snowplows are making their rounds of the major roads. I'll be lucky if they make it to my street before February - and that's if there's no more snow.

The sun is shining brightly on all the drifted snow. It is freakin' cold, but it's winter and I like that.

I've shovelled my porch, walkway and sidewalk, and the sidewalks for the next two houses going south. Rita's 80, her son's working nights, and Alicia's at the hospital taking care of her dad. I don't want any of them to be fined for not shovelling. (not only could we be sued if someone had a slip and fall - and you're responsible right up to your mailbox - but we can be fined if we don't shovel the sidewalk within 12 hours of a major snowfall)
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:38 am
10 inches here... Exclamation
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:46 am
Wow!...where'd you find HIM!

Had to welcome you back DL...hee hee
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:51 am
deleted
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:54 am
Pussy is one thing I never lack for. Don't worry sister, whatever ails you, we'll get it straightened out.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:59 am
I agree with the dissenters about the Red Bellied woodpecker. I've had them perch on tube feeders for black oil sunflower seeds and they love suet and peanut butter.

Squirrels? The Poconos abounds in squirrels. We've got squirrels who have been invited to audition to get their pictures on the spring Wheaties box.

At this point in time we have three squirrel proof (but not bear proof) feeders and two semi-squirrel proofed feeders which require Olympic-level gymnastics to extract one seed at a time.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 10:07 am
see now bears present a problem to me. I dontt feed omnivores, especially when they consider me as a niece bit of omni
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 10:19 am
doglover wrote:
LOL Panzade. You haven't changed a bit. Thanks for making me laugh. (I need all the laughter I can get these days).

BTW...nice pussy ya got there. :wink:

Doglover! Haven't seen you in a while. Where you been? Looks like you haven't changed a bit either! Ha ha!

Looks like the storm is over. That wasn't such a bad storm. It's f*cking freezing outside though!

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwDvAqcVlR0yVICxLFXYxI36gPN7jjKHRXlAEVB1fsSuN1mq72mYsG1tRM!8Y1qS5mgRM!SNqPO6jCYP3W4mRsV0*KGeuBref97t5K0SjHnEqCWX5JYI1g/000_0188.jpg
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 10:20 am
Dude, I can't see my car. All I see is a huge snowball.

We got killed.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 10:44 am
Kicky, I love that shot...you oughta post it every week so's we can admire the city.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 10:50 am
Acura MDX. BMW 5-series wagon. Ford Exploder(maybe Escape?)?
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 10:52 am
Boston is getting walloped. The snow is still coming down sideways. Lots of drifts from wind. Lost power between 4:30-9:30am. The snow is about three feet deep on the fron porch and I can see the grass on the neighbors lawn across the street. Guess I know which way the wind is blowing. Still just about white out conditions. Causeway to Nahant is shut down so they're essentially an island now. Revere Beach Parkway closed and Quincy Shore Drive closed. Good luck everyone.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 03:36:03