S.F. MAN BECOMES FIRST AMER. TO GRASP SIGNIFICANCE OF IRONY

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 02:38 am
Yep - everywhere is an antipodes to somewhere when you live on a ball...
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 08:16 am
We live on a ball !!

Isn't the world flat ?

Are you one of these modern thinkers ?

"If the Earth were a globe, there certainly would be -- if we could imagine the thing, to be peopled all around-'antipodes:' 'people who,' says the dictionary, 'living exactly on the opposite side of the globe to ourselves, having their feet [sic] opposite to ours' - people who are HANGING DOWN, HEAD DOWNWARDS while we are standing head up? But since the theory allows to travel to those parts of the earth where the people are said to hand head downward, and still to fancy ourselves to be heads upwards, and our friends whom we have left behind us to be heads downwards, it follows that the WHOLE THING IS A MYTH - A DREAM - A DELUSION - and a snare, and, instead of there being any evidence at all in this direction to substantiate this popular theory, it is plain proof that the Earth is Not A Globe."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 10:55 am
yes - sigh - but you fail, as is common with Luddites, in your apprehension of just how much, in reality, despite being a relatively weak force, gravity, like life itself, sucks...
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 11:01 am
quote provided by Hiama wrote:
"If the Earth were a globe, there certainly would be -- if we could imagine the thing, to be peopled all around-'antipodes:' 'people who,' says the dictionary, 'living exactly on the opposite side of the globe to ourselves, having their feet [sic] opposite to ours' - people who are HANGING DOWN, HEAD DOWNWARDS while we are standing head up? But since the theory allows to travel to those parts of the earth where the people are said to hand head downward, and still to fancy ourselves to be heads upwards, and our friends whom we have left behind us to be heads downwards, it follows that the WHOLE THING IS A MYTH - A DREAM - A DELUSION - and a snare, and, instead of there being any evidence at all in this direction to substantiate this popular theory, it is plain proof that the Earth is Not A Globe."

When and where did the source of the quote appear? In 14th century in some book on theology?
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 01:04 pm
Steiss no interestingly and worryingly enough -did a search for flat earth society and the founder only died a few years ago, the article was quite current

We live in interesting times n'est-ce pas ?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 05:00 pm
Sounded quite eighteenth century though, didn't it?
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 11:01 am
It did, the more you see on the web the more you realise there are some strange folk out there
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 03:01 pm
Not like US..... we are most sane and reasonable, we are...
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 03:12 pm
I guess, this flat Earth society existed somewhere in Iran or Afghanistan...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 03:17 pm
Why? Is it especially flat there? You should try the Nullarbor!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 03:40 am
errr, the flat earth society had their origins somewhere in the desert of the midwest, methinks... I love them whackos!
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 04:01 am
Then there's the round earth society !

http://www.str.com.br/English/Join/
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 04:30 am
Well, since whackos have never lacked in the world, we can anticipate existence of some society the members of which consider that the Earth has a shape of a suitcase...
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 05:25 am
Steissd

Haven't you heard? The world is my suitcase! (or something!) (or perhaps that's "I carry the world in my suitcase!")
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 05:32 am
OK, I am satisfied: the mentioned society exists!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 06:09 am
I believe it is shaped like a wheat-chex!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 06:46 am
dlowan: excuse me but the earth is shaped like a Fruit-Loop
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 06:54 am
Which colour?
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 07:22 am
Loopy Blue of course silly !