GW's Inauguration Speech - Your thoughts

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 01:07 pm
I did not listen , watch, I have not read anything about it. I am completely convinced whatever he said was self serving pr bullshit to make him money. I iwll never listen to him again.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 01:31 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
woiyo wrote:
No one President can "accomplish them" in 4 years. Yet do you feel our system of Gov't can NEVER "accomplish them"?

I don't think our system of government is designed to spread democratic ideals in any way except by example. But yes, I guess I do feel that the US of A, by itself, can never accomplish total earthly freedom and prosperity. First, we haven't defined it. Second, we have no understanding of what it would take to accomplish it. Third, we don't know how to measure it.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say BY EXAMPLE. Yet the example must be set not just by the US, but mainly the current democratic nations working through an organization such as a "revised" UN.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 01:32 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I did not listen , watch, I have not read anything about it. I am completely convinced whatever he said was self serving pr bullshit to make him money. I iwll never listen to him again.

I think much the same about Michael Moore.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 01:32 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
woiyo wrote:
No one President can "accomplish them" in 4 years. Yet do you feel our system of Gov't can NEVER "accomplish them"?

I don't think our system of government is designed to spread democratic ideals in any way except by example. But yes, I guess I do feel that the US of A, by itself, can never accomplish total earthly freedom and prosperity. First, we haven't defined it. Second, we have no understanding of what it would take to accomplish it. Third, we don't know how to measure it.

I understand that a rather sizeable group had feelings similar to yours about this country putting a man on the moon.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 01:41 pm
woiyo wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
woiyo wrote:

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say BY EXAMPLE. Yet the example must be set not just by the US, but mainly the current democratic nations working through an organization such as a "revised" UN.

I totally agree.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 01:54 pm
Would anyone like to post a part of the President's speech that they thought was good, or thoughtful, or hopeful, or even fearful etc...?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 01:58 pm
Bibliophile the BibleGuru wrote:
Would anyone like to post a part of the President's speech that they thought was good, or thoughtful, or hopeful, or even fearful etc...?

Does this meet all that criteria?

Quote:
"It is the policy of the United States to seek and support the growth of democratic movements and institutions in every nation and culture, with the ultimate goal of ending tyranny in our world."
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 02:10 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Moore makes movies...Bush runs the United States of America.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 02:15 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Moore makes movies...Bush runs the United States of America.

And your opinion is still just your opinion.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 02:20 pm
Tico: no preferred criteria in my question, just suggestions for discussion point.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 02:23 pm
BBG, I just meant I thought the portion I excerpted could be considered all of those things.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 02:44 pm
OK. So, did you like anything in the speech?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 02:53 pm
Yeah, he shouldn't have said all that stuff about democracy being good and tyranny being bad. Very poor taste on his part.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 02:56 pm
Have you ever heard so much use of the words "freedom" and "liberty" in one speech?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 02:57 pm
Have you ever heard so much use of the words "freedom" and "liberty" in one speech?

The fiend!
0 Replies

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 03:03 pm
Brandon: central Florida? Anywhere near Haines City? I holidayed there last summer - well just outside it in a nice villa by the Southern Dunes golf course.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 03:04 pm
Brandon: central Florida? Anywhere near Haines City? I holidayed there last summer - well just outside it in a nice villa by the Southern Dunes golf course.

A bit over 50 miles.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 03:06 pm
Polk county?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 03:10 pm
Tampa.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 03:14 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Yeah, he shouldn't have said all that stuff about democracy being good and tyranny being bad. Very poor taste on his part.

coming from him it has the same meaning as "I'm all for milk for babies"....
0 Replies