GW's Inauguration Speech - Your thoughts

woiyo

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:35 am
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/20/politics/20BUSH-TEXT.html?oref=login

At first, I thought slightly uneasy about his "quest" to bring "liberty to the darkest regions".

Then after reflecting, while the content is idealistic and in the short term unrealistic, it reminded me of JFK's speech when he said "ask not what America can do for you but what together we can do for the benefit of mankind".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 5,391 • Replies: 90
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:40 am
Short, thank God!

No, seriously, he leaves a very bad taste in my mouth and it is hard to agree with him without feeling like a freak. The truth is I agree in principal that we should do everything we can to support freedom, democracy, and development in parts of the world that don't have that. It's actually what many of us were trying to say about terrorism when we were drowned out by the cries of how evil are the muslims and we should nuke them all. What I don't agree with, and he didn't say this but I feel it is implied, is that we can do that by systematically invading and setting up democratic governments in each and every country that doesn't have one. We don't have the moral clout in most parts of the world to get away with it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:50 am
So, just so I am straight on this, you want freedom, but are unwilling to fight for it?

I thought Bush's speech was average for an inaugeral speech. It had the correct rhetoric for the times he is in and offered the appropriate amount of hope to those that wish it. It wasn't a speech that will be forever ingrained in the American mind like his 9-11 speech though.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:55 am
McG, I would certainly be willing to fight for my own freedom, and were I a citizen of a country that was oppressed, I would fight for my freedom. But the world is a lot more complicated than that. Surely we can see that from Iraq. We don't even konw yet if it's possible to 'free' a country by invading it (and destroying it). I'm not sold on the idea of construction by destruction.

Certainly, throughout our history we have done plenty to aid in the oppression of others. If a president seriously believed the things that were said in that speach, he might first work to stop doing the things that aid tyrannical regimes before taking the most destructive path possible. Seems to me that would be the place to start.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:55 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Short, thank God!

No, seriously, he leaves a very bad taste in my mouth and it is hard to agree with him without feeling like a freak. The truth is I agree in principal that we should do everything we can to support freedom, democracy, and development in parts of the world that don't have that. It's actually what many of us were trying to say about terrorism when we were drowned out by the cries of how evil are the muslims and we should nuke them all. What I don't agree with, and he didn't say this but I feel it is implied, is that we can do that by systematically invading and setting up democratic governments in each and every country that doesn't have one. We don't have the moral clout in most parts of the world to get away with it.

Interesting view Duck. So you agree with the "content" but not his methods?? I did not hear him imply "systematically invading and setting up...". A quote I recall that you may be referencing is .."When you stand for your liberty, we will stand with you. "

I took that to mean if YOU want to fight for your freedom, we will help, unlike Iraq, where no Iraqi was/is willing to fight for their freedom.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 08:03 am
No, you're right, you didn't hear him imply it. I suppose I took it as implied based on his past actions. And if (it's a pretty big if) he means what you take him to mean, A-OK by me. I suppose I remain skeptical and probably cynical when it comes to this president and his administration.

But yeah, I can't argue with the principle.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 08:09 am
The inauguration speech was wishy-washy. The so-called "Parade" was lifeless.

Why don't you guys have the parade during a better season when the weather would attract better crowds and allow for a more colourful spectacle?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 08:11 am
Bibliophile the BibleGuru wrote:
The inauguration speech was wishy-washy. The so-called "Parade" was lifeless.

Why don't you guys have the parade during a better season when the weather would attract better crowds and allow for a more colourful spectacle?

Apparently we used to have it in the Spring, but folks got antsy about having a lame duck president for more than 6 weeks.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:14 am
This speech was an exercise in marketing, and worth study in that light. That's Rove's background, we'll remember, and it is the expertise of a number of other staffers and contracted agents as well.

Political speeches always attempt some 'marketing' task. One could, in a manner, describe Lincoln's Cooper Union address that way. And this speech is being compared to others as a typical 'high flown' or 'inspirational' speech as we've heard from many others.

Sure, that's accurate, but not very interesting. What is interesting is how it differs from earlier speeches. And a key to glimpsing that is the marketing notion of 'positioning' which really defines or describes what's going on here.

With positioning, you seek to place your product (Bush, his administration, his last four years, his next four years) alongside desired things, and to leave out any undesireable things. So you suggest that AquaVelva is like springtime and will get users laid. Your photos and story about AquaVelva will NOT contain any notion of an outhouse.

And that tells us exactly why 'freedom' and 'liberty', etc, were repeated so often and why Iraq and Afghanistan were not mentioned at all. This same advertising technique also tells us why Bush doesn't admit errors, or that Iraq is a mess, etc., because that positions him with failure.

Reality doesn't matter in advertising. Image matters.

I'll give you another example. A few months ago, a memo written by a contracted PR agent was leaked. The advice was offered (and clearly, accepted) as the Iraq campaign was being pumped up, that all speeches by admin officials on the subject of Sadaam/Iraq should contain mention of 9-11 immediately adjacent to the Sadaam/Iraq mention...eg "We can't be complacent about Sadaam, not since the world changed on 9-11."

That's positioning too...implying linkage of the two things. They did it over and over and over and that's a key reason why the two are linked in so many noggins.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:36 am
Quote:
I'm not sold on the idea of construction by destruction.

Yep, the infrastructure and economy in Japan and Germany are terrible. Seriously, we're putting a lot into construction in Iraq, particularly water supply, reliable electricity supply, oil lines so they can export, etc (most of which, incidentally, was destroyed by insurgents, NOT us).
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:51 am
Idaho wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sold on the idea of construction by destruction.

Yep, the infrastructure and economy in Japan and Germany are terrible. Seriously, we're putting a lot into construction in Iraq, particularly water supply, reliable electricity supply, oil lines so they can export, etc (most of which, incidentally, was destroyed by insurgents, NOT us).

Both Japan and Germany started wars and were destroyed as a result of those wars. I'm sure you can see how Iraq is different, and how the idea of destroying something for the purpose of rebuilding it is different.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:53 am
Forgot to say, good points to blatham for his more relevant post.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:13 am
Blatham
Blatham: well, Uncle Bernie, you really nailed Bush's speech purpose. What is really scary is not so much what he said, it's that he apparently believes his own marketing scam---a very dangerous combination.

BBB
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:28 am
Re: Blatham
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Blatham: well, Uncle Bernie, you really nailed Bush's speech purpose. What is really scary is not so much what he said, it's that he apparently believes his own marketing scam---a very dangerous combination.

BBB

Not only that but a little under half the country does too.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:28 am
Republican speech writer Peggy Noonan pans Bush's speech
Republican speech writer Petty Noonan didn't think much of Bush's speech:

"Way Too Much God - Was the president's speech a case of "mission inebriation"?"

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/?id=110006184
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:40 am
BBB's suggestion to President Bush
I have a suggestion for George Bush. I urge you to resign the presidency, enroll in a seminary to become a minister and establish your own church. Then you can heal drunks, dopers, sinners, and other crusaders. This will help to keep you sober and encourage you to quit messing with our lives.

Amen!

BBB
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 11:04 am
Yep-Good Old Peggy and her optimism stated in her last sentance....One wonders if they shouldn't ease up, calm down, breathe deep, get more securely grounded. The most moving speeches summon us to the cause of what is actually possible. Perfection in the life of man on earth is not. "

I would have thought that she and most liberals would embrace GW description of Utopia--- A world where everyone is free.

Martin Luther King had similiar ideals, so did Lincoln, Churchill and JFK.

Curious reaction by Noonan, but not surprising.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 11:43 am
I think everyone can embrace the ideals. We have a hard time embracing the idea that this president and our government can accomplish them.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 12:59 pm
No one President can "accomplish them" in 4 years. Yet do you feel our system of Gov't can NEVER "accomplish them"?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 01:05 pm
woiyo wrote:
No one President can "accomplish them" in 4 years. Yet do you feel our system of Gov't can NEVER "accomplish them"?

I don't think our system of government is designed to spread democratic ideals in any way except by example. But yes, I guess I do feel that the US of A, by itself, can never accomplish total earthly freedom and prosperity. First, we haven't defined it. Second, we have no understanding of what it would take to accomplish it. Third, we don't know how to measure it.
0 Replies