More on "Don't Ask; Don't Tell!

DrewDad

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 03:33 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:
So, in effect, a service member can engage in homosexual acts as long as he or she isn't homosexual.

It is the military after all.

But seriously, there is this mis-perception in some circles that sexuality is a choice and that homosexuals have made a bad, and temporary, choice, that one can be reversed or re-educated out of - the description used is usually accompanied by the word lifestyle.

Once again you will have to privide proof that homosexuallity isn't a choice. When medical science proves this, then there won't be an issue.

If homosexuality is a choice then it would follow that heterosexuality is a choice.

Frankly, I did not choose to be attracted to women.

Assuming, for argument's sake, that sexual preference is a choice, then what evidence do you have that homosexuality is wrong?
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 12:45 pm
"Queen for a day" Oh... I love that. I laughed so hard that I nearly fell off my chair, literally. Just goes to show that at some point in history someone with a sense of humour worked writing military law.

Anyway, as to my opinion on this topic I'm about to pull a Nazi analogy. I'm really sorry as I think this gets done way too frequently on political issues but in this case I think it's highly justified and not being pulled as a "you're evil because you're doing the same thing as hitler" stunt. Okay? Fair warning.

In Nazi germany, they were so concerned about maintaining a pure aryan race that they were worried what they would do in the future if it turned out that some highly valuable person would turn out to be of another race. They began doing medical research on how to transform a brown-eyed VIP into a blue-eyed aryan if they needed to.

The moral of this is that the narrower you set your search criteria the more effort and extreme measures you will have to undergo in order to find qualified people and the more qualified people that you will be forced to screen out.

If having gay people in the military has no or minimal drawbacks to how well the military can act to defend the country then screening them out will do more harm than good. On the other hand if there is sufficient drawbacks to outweigh that extra effort then gay people should be excluded from the military. In the military, much like in a nuclear power plant or any other extremely high danger area, efficiency must be paramount. Even above moral or emotional concerns.

Personally I'd prefer if gay people weren't allowed in the military. That way if conscription is ever called there will be a way out much easier to fake than mental or medical illness. I'm not insane, I don't want to be forced to fight. Wink

Edited to fix a html error
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 01:46 pm
i really don't understand america's fixation on homosexuality.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 01:51 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Once again you will have to privide proof that homosexuallity isn't a choice. When medical science proves this, then there won't be an issue.

You can read, can't you? Then do the research. The medical studies have been there for decades. I've posted the links over a dozen times at this site. But I finally got over doing people's homework for them.

In the majority of cases, sexual orientation is not a choice. There is no need for sexual orientation to be an issue for anyone.

Weird how old school the U.S. is.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 02:28 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

You can read, can't you? Then do the research. The medical studies have been there for decades. I've posted the links over a dozen times at this site. But I finally got over doing people's homework for them.

In the majority of cases, sexual orientation is not a choice. There is no need for sexual orientation to be an issue for anyone.

Weird how old school the U.S. is.

Well I have never seen this "research" before. If you have posted it before then find your thread and repost.

It isn't my proof to post, it is the people who claim it is a choice.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 02:42 pm
Quote:
It isn't my proof to post, it is the people who claim it is a choice.

Which is you, right?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 02:44 pm
I worded that wrong.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 02:48 pm
I know, just givin ya a hard time Smile

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies